Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Exchange rate
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2013 at 07:18 PM

plus excise tax, plus sales tax,

David...unit expense is not as important to most people except for the sake of argument. Most people are concerned about the bottom line coming out of their pocket! I suspect that is why after your multitude of jobs, careers, and experience, is why you are living in Mexico.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 01:13 PM

Price is NOT why I live in México. I can assure you that I can find a much less expensive place to live north of the border. I took a tour of Sanderson Texas and found homes for rent there for 250 dollars. Same for Lake Jackson.

I live in Mexico because my family is here. I know the names of my neighbors and they tell "Ven!" and invite me for coffee and chisme. People say "Buen dia" as they pass on the sidewalk. Resteaurants serve other than S.E. Rykoff grade D foodstuffs. People with hardly a peso into their pocket are seen whistling as they fumble under the hood of their car trying to get it to start. Mexican Mexico is not gringo Mexico. If you've never lived for months or years not speaking Ingles it is hard to put into words. Cousins show up and hug and kiss. Las chicas knock on the door and accusingly announce "You didn't forget the wedding did you? The banda is already arrived and going to start playing!" Or bounce into your bedroom and announce "Levantas! We are going to rio chuta para nadar y picnic.

I wish you could be here in a store and listen to consumers who want to buy a ventilador but first ask "¿Como se sube mi la luz?" They damned well know about the basic rate, intermediate and excedente. Mexican shoppers are some of the savviest shoppers on earth IMHO. Mechanics know what a Snap-On or Mac tool means. Ladies sneer at Chinese junk can openers. The sum total of my jobs, careers and experience went to pay a City of Hope Hospital bill of more than six hundred thousand dollars in the early nineties. I figured it was more honorable than declaring bankruptcy. Liquidating almost a million dollars in assets in the early nineties turned out to be a long term decision because I never have regained my health. Do not ask me about what insurance company back charged that amount of money to the hospital, thank you.

With or without money I would be here in Mexico. My heart goes to the Mexicans and I damned sure will continue condemn prices (for ANYTHING) that rise beyond the reach of Mexicans. Like Carlos Slim, and much of America, wealth accumulation at any cost is a sickness.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:03 AM

My sticky (exchange market) says it is up to 12.87:1 today.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
My sticky (exchange market) says it is up to 12.87:1 today.

Yeah....it's really active right now: 12.7851
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:22 AM

The philosophy that Gilberto Ortiz acquired in the rubble of the 1994 devaluation is to not try and "fight" pressure against the peso because many times the pressure is temporary or transitional. He said Banco de Mexico "could" waste billions of US dollar currency reserves feeding an even that would bleed reserves unmercifully. So the "philosophy" is to wait until pressure on the peso eases then "Inject small amounts of US dollars into purchasing pesos in three hundred million dollar increments". The quote marks are verbatim.

Translated: When current pressure eases, the exchange rate "may" rebound. If the exchange rate does not rebound sometime during next month, then there is legitimate concern in Mexico about the viability (strength) of the economy. Tens of billions of dollars worth can flow out of the country and it is difficult to "detect". Banco de Mexico is claiming an insane amount of dollar currency reserves so this will be interesting no matter what.

Ever wonder how railroad boxcar quantities of US banknotes used for drug payments gets laundered? The DEA and DOJ just shut down several gigantic money laundering outfits in Central America and the peso immediately starts weakening. I feel strongly Mexican financial institutions are purchasing the dollars, and then washing them into the Mexican stock market - and splitting the profits with both the drugistas and members of gobernacion. Carteles, Bancos, Gobernacion. Three highly moral institutions.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
the really scary thing is that this is not due to the Peso increasing in value, it is the devaluation of the dollar on the world market.

the Peso is falling faster than ever but the Dollar is falling much faster.:no:

[Edited on 5-24-2013 by Bruce R Leech]

Shak!!! If your income is in dollars and your economy is pesos what a deal......Except Mexico's inflation is roaring at 4.5 percent which will catch up with folks whom live in Baja. and April's Inflation rate was 1.1 percent in the US ...

Me, I am going to enjoy it while I can and sympathize with the locals.
And PEMEX gasoline is up 28% from last year:
For decades the price of gas and diesel has been subsidized by the Mexican government. In 2012 the subsidy cost over 1.6% of the GNP of Mexico and many are calling for the necessary end to the payments to PEMEX. (pronounced "Pay-mex") Economic analyst point to the dramatic affect on inflation that removing the subsidy would cause, with fuel prices rising more than 28% in one year.

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hate to pi$$ on your Pouting Party, but go price the tires in the US or pay your PG&E bill up there.

on edit: $120 (at 12.5 to 1) out the door for any BF Goodrich tire is a bargain.

Our tucson bill used to run 2-300 dollars a month. Our Baja home is off-grid so no comparison but my Gringo bud (un named) complains if he pays 400 pesos a month.

[Edited on 5-25-2013 by rts551]

I'm on the DAC rate down here which costs me about 3,000 pesos every 2 months. At my last house in the US (8 years ago} I was on a flat year round rate of $350 per month.

Bob Durrell
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2013 at 11:11 AM

I have a friend who purchased a half million dollar estancia near Patzcuaro Michoacan. "Come visit!" he kept inviting...

So I did. December. The house was around 55 degrees at six PM. Dinner was at 6:00. Dinner in a jacket. A heavy jacket.

Awoke to 42 degrees in the room at 0500

Some folks can put up with ANYTHING if they are stubborn enough. I love to see ex-pats on the mainland. Coast. In Summer. Sitting in the shade, sweat dripping from them like all get out. "Man ain't this weather great!" they brag. Then they fall asleep for a half hour because at night they cannot sleep well because it's 90 degrees and 80 percent humidity inside the house.

Hey, it's their trip. But if they should spout to folks who don't know "The Rest Of The Story": "I live down here and no way is it too hot, what the hell do people complain about?" then I become interested. The same for cold weather. A half million dollar mansion and I had to dress in thermal underwear AND sweats, and sleep under a 10 pound pile of Mexican blankets....?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:06 AM

12.9 time to get some pesos
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:11 AM

What's up with the Peso?

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000154714&__source...
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
What's up with the Peso?

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000154714&__source...

Oh, he is doing fine. still in Catavina.:tumble:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 11:39 AM

11.4 to one at the border yesterday

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
11.4 to one at the border yesterday

??? where? Bank gave me 12.7 yesterday.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2013 at 12:20 PM

Just wired money down to our builder today...glad I waited a week.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 10:20 AM

He he he, come to me and I'll find you a place that'll give you ten pesos per dollar

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-1-2013 at 10:33 AM

gotta peso...looks a little down too...he didnt even get up to ask for a peso!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2013 at 03:39 PM
Interesting! USD Is Revaluing Too Fast

Where's the beef? The biggest peso laundering operation in the world is shut down and then money starts flowing into the USA?

Mexico tried injecting 300M USD buying pesos on Friday and it was gobbled like a truffle in a pigpen. Time to start paying more attention I guess.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.