Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another Fan Recommendation
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 03:39 PM
Another Fan Recommendation

For anyone on solar or just trying to keep their electric bill down, I would recommend the Emerson Eco Midway ceiling fan. This fan puts out a ton of air (6936 cfm), is super quiet, has 6 speeds, is reversible, remote control, and only draws 17.5 watts on high speed. It also has plastic blades which will not start drooping from the heat and humidity like fans with wood composite blades. We put two of them in our house and have been extremely happy with their performance.
http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-CF955BS-Ceiling-Midnight-Borde...

[Edited on 7-17-2013 by monoloco]

[Edited on 7-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 03:41 PM

You done got my attention with this posting. Thank You (!) monoloco

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
For anyone on solar or just trying to keep their electric bill down, I would recommend the Emerson Eco Midway ceiling fan. This fan puts out a ton of air (6936 cfm), is super quiet, has 6 speeds, is reversible, remote control, and only draws 17.5 watts on high speed. It also has plastic blades which will not start drooping from the heat and humidity like fans with wood composite blades. We put two of them in our house and have been extremely happy with their performance.

[Edited on 7-17-2013 by BajaNomad]

Not sure where you got the 17.5 watts on high speed. According to the product description it draws "60 watts/ .75 amps, 50 - 211 RPM". Plus it uses 39 watts for the light. It's not too clear, but I'm guessing the 60 watts is lowest speed and .75 amps ( 90 watts) is high speed. Plus it's ugly and expensive.

Product Description
Emerson EcoMotor. Brushed Steel Finish housing finish. Set of 5 Midnight Bordeaux Blades. 54 in. Blade span. Unique 29airfoil blade pitch at the housing. 4.5 in. downrod included. 6 Speed Remote Control with Receiver. Integrated Sandstone Glass light fixture. Uses four 13-watt GU-24 fluorescent bulbs (included). 60 Watts / .75 Amps. 50-211 RMP Range. Indoor use only. Energy Star Rated With its new Emerson EcoMotor and sleek design the Midway Eco maximizes energy efficiency. The fan features Emerson EcoMotor that uses up to 75% less energy compared to other ceiling fan motors, high-efficiency, aerodynamically designed blades that move up to 40% more air than standard blades and an energy-efficient fluorescent light fixture.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 04:40 PM

The 17.5 watts is without the light. You get what you pay for, I've been using these fans in our off grid home for almost two years and they perform well and are well constructed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I love the look of them, and they go well with the contemporary design of our home. From the Amazon.com description:
The most energy efficient ceiling fan on the market with the use of Emerson EcoMotor
Only uses 17.5-Watt of energy
29 Degree airfoil blade pitch at the housing
Integrated light fixture uses four 13-Watt GU24 fluorescent bulbs
Six-speed LED remote control; wall control adaptable

And by the way, I tested it with my Kill A Watt when I first installed them and they actually do draw 17.5 watts on high speed.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 04:45 PM

we saw them at monoloco's and they look beatiful!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 04:49 PM

Here's an alternative that we have in our off-grid house. It's 68" and the blades turn much slower than a smaller fan, so it doesn't disturb the ambiance in the room. It does move a lot of air without a lot of noise and motion. It draws 16 watts on low speed (3780 CFM); 36 watts at med speed (5453 CFM) and 90 watts on high speed (8752 CFM). We have two and love them. We usually only use low or Med. Plus they're bueatiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dn1z8mnG64

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100630835/altura-68-in-ind...
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
The 17.5 watts is without the light. You get what you pay for, I've been using these fans in our off grid home for almost two years and they perform well and are well constructed. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I love the look of them, and they go well with the contemporary design of our home. From the Amazon.com description:
The most energy efficient ceiling fan on the market with the use of Emerson EcoMotor

And by the way, I tested it with my Kill A Watt when I first installed them and they actually do draw 17.5 watts on high speed.

Not to be argumentative, but how did you plug it into the Kill-A-Watt meter? Did you actually wire a standard plug on to it and somehow suspend it and plug it into a socket?

So where do you think the .75 amps comes from? That's 90 watts at 120 volts.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Here's an alternative that we have in our off-grid house. It's 68" and the blades turn much slower than a smaller fan, so it doesn't disturb the ambiance in the room. It does move a lot of air without a lot of noise and motion. It draws 16 watts on low speed (3780 CFM); 36 watts at med speed (5453 CFM) and 90 watts on high speed (8752 CFM). We have two and love them. We usually only use low or Med. Plus they're bueatiful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dn1z8mnG64

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100630835/altura-68-in-ind...
We usually have the one over our bed on the 1st or 2nd speed at night in the summer and it's plenty of air movement to keep us cool.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Not to be argumentative, but how did you plug it into the Kill-A-Watt meter? Did you actually wire a standard plug on to it and somehow suspend it and plug it into a socket?

So where do you think the .75 amps comes from? That's 90 watts at 120 volts.
Before I hardwired it I put a plug on it and ran an extension cord to the kill a watt plugged into the wall because I wanted to see if it actually used what was advertised, after I spent that much on the fans. The way that is written:
Uses four 13-watt GU-24 fluorescent bulbs (included). 60 Watts / .75 Amps.
It sounds like that is about what the lights use. 4x13=52 watts. We never use the lights as we have very good LED lighting through out the house that is very efficient. I would have preferred a model that had no lights but they don't make one with this motor.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 05:34 PM

the key to these amazing fans is the DC motor. I know what I want for christmas!:bounce:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-17-2013 at 06:14 PM

gu24 and gu10 bulbs are hard to find in Baja...

a more standard screw-in bulb is a better choice

the problem with these ceiling fans is they take a CONSTANT current

the cheaper units I have seem to move more air than the Expensive ones

I too have some fans with 4 lights...a BIG mistake...those curly bulbs look terrible

maybe some LEDs from china...the would look GREAT

edit: also remember in the summer the hot air is at the ceiling
floor fans are actually cooler inside

[Edited on 7-18-2013 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 09:39 AM

I like our DC motor fans by Monte Carlo. They come in this 60" (ours have 5 speeds) version that uses 9 watts on low and 29w on High. Haven't used the Hi setting- at 6772 cfm it would blow your toupee across the room

Monte Carlo DC fan

Also have a couple of 52" models called Avanti that are 3 speeds. High-22w Med-11w Low 2w
Monte Carlo Avanti

Even if their watt ratings aren't exact, they use way less power than average ceiling fans. Not cheap fans but really nice, excellent quality, move a lot of air, and we like em.

ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 09:47 AM

I like the looks of those fans. Our house is traditional Mexican styled and these would fit in well. Brushless DC motors are the way to go except for the cost. That will come down in the future.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
I like the looks of those fans. Our house is traditional Mexican styled and these would fit in well. Brushless DC motors are the way to go except for the cost. That will come down in the future.
you must mean traditional GRINGO mexican styled! :lol:

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 10:49 AM

Willardguy, I thought that the traditional gringo Mexican style was fake vigas with a Taco Bell arch on top?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Willardguy, I thought that the traditional gringo Mexican style was fake vigas with a Taco Bell arch on top?
:lol::lol::lol: perfect! :lol::lol::lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 11:20 AM

Now "that" is a comfortable house ...... works for me :):)

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 7-18-2013 at 11:58 AM

The traditional casas gringolanias lujos I have stayed almost universally have tiled floors that get as slick as greased Teflon when a droplet of water falls onto them. Tiny kitchen counters, incredibly fancy faucets, and plumbing with no provision to reduce rock hard water PPM mineral levels to prevent those hundred dollar fixtures from turning to junk inside a year. The thought of installing a stainless steel grab rail in the guest quarters bathroom shower exit causes these folks to blanch in horror of disturbing the style and aesthetics of the palace. Usually an architect designs the homes with windows strategically placed to minimize natural airflow. I'll bet that Mexican casa pictured above has inadvertent holes near the refrigerator allowing natural convection to carry condenser heat away. Ever measure the temperature behind your refrigerator in your $400,000 USA home? A hundred twenty five degrees there in an already overly warm kitchen? Gigantic electric bills? Now that's American ingenuity!

Ceiling fans can be used in reverse. Air registers CAN be placed through exterior walls near to the ceiling. The fans ceiling fans COULD pull warm air up instead of pushing hot air down. The 150-year old Yucatecan haciendas I used to rent had twelve foot ceilings to keep an infrared radiating roof far from people, allow heated air to rise and escape. The art of common sense designing using natural physics has disappeared. So has the planting of shade trees on the north and northwest sides of the home.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.