Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: aqua malas or jellyfish
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:33 PM
aqua malas or jellyfish

we were in Gonzaga on Mon night and there were whispers of jellyfish. we swam and didn't get stung. Tues we headed north and stopped at Bahia Christina and i got nailed 3 times. there was nothing in the water-no jellyfish. it hurt a bit for a couple of hours and went away.

yesterday morning i woke up to a radical bumpy rash where i got stung on my butt and side. it is itchy and unlike any other sting i've ever had. anyone know what it was? there were no jellies.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 07:43 PM

Sea lice, I was tore up in Indo. by them. String and then a day or so bumps and itchy.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
yesterday morning i woke up to a radical bumpy rash where i got stung on my butt and side.

Mas Olas: We will need a close up photo of the rash to identify it.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 09:20 PM

*agua malas*
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-8-2013 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
yesterday morning i woke up to a radical bumpy rash where i got stung on my butt and side.

Mas Olas: We will need a close up photo of the rash to identify it.

Uh, no we don't:biggrin:

Marla Daily
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 05:38 AM

Sea lice are actually the microscopic larvae of jellyfish and other ocean stingers which contain the same nematocysts (stinging cells) as mommy and daddy. In many areas of the Gulf and Caribbean the primary culprit causing "sea lice" infestations is the larvae of the thimble jellyfish. These larvae, sometimes half a millimeter in length or smaller, can become trapped between the bathing suit and skin or in crevices like the armpit and compressed, causing the stinging cells to fire.

The larvae are large enough to be visible to the naked eye but become nearly invisible in the water - unfortunately the only reliable method of identifying when sea lice are present is by the appearance of the rash on other swimmers or divers. During summer months high concentrations of these stinging larvae may float in "clouds" or "blooms" that affect large areas of beach or ocean.

Common symptoms of sea lice stings
include an intensely itchy red rash with small blisters and elevated areas of skin. These painful and unsightly lesions may appear anywhere on the body but are often concentrated in areas covered by swimwear as large numbers of larvae often become trapped in these regions. Severe reactions to sea lice exposure may include fever, chills, headaches, nausea and vomiting, especially in children. Extreme allergic reactions may require hospitalization in rare cases. [http://www.buysafesea.com/sea_lice.php]
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 07:27 AM

Did you eat at Bahia Christina? Don/'t know if they are open in the summer. We had a great meal there.........very nice people, Babct
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 07:49 AM

I found that, here in Loreto, most stings not related directly to jellyfish, are caused by the free floating jellyfish tentacles, that have come loose from their host. They can cause some nasty blisters and rashes. Can't do much against them but wear a skin. I carry a small bottle of ammonia, but not sure it helps much.:P

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 09:04 AM

Marla, that was a very interesting read. Thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 09:06 AM

Jim got wrapped up in some tentacles a few weeks back.
First he rubbed the spots with sand but then he saw black burrs in the skin so I found a piece of plastic(a credit card is best) and scraped the skin really hard. When we got home, he bathed the spots in vinegar and he had no more reactions....no itch, which when I have gotten jelly-ed was the worse part.

laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 12:31 PM
Bee, jellyfish, Man-o-war, stings ant bites, plants, urchin

when stung try this. Also if you can post on that site that it worked for you. I have been trying to get wiki to allow me to post it but I have doubters that block my post except on the discussion page. It really works.... as mentioned it worked on a sting ray. have used it about 20-30 times with no failures, on me and about 7 other people.

http://la-ventana.forumotion.com/t314-bee-jellyfish-man-o-wa...

Stops the Sting of a Stingray pain. Well finally had a chance to test the Benadryl spray in a stingray hit. A friend was down in the south bay and got hit and he came up to my place because he was told I have the spray that could help. His foot had the cut and he was in severe pain. He had significant redness and swelling about 3 inches square and puffed up about ¼ inch. We sprayed the area and in about 3-4 minutes he said it was amazing it was down to 10% of the pain and in 15 minutes when I asked he said if I hadn’t of asked he would not have remembered he got hit. His swelling and redness was also gone in 30 minutes.

And once again have used this again on a 4 year old a week ago who got hit by a jelly fish and he was in full 4 yo crying and in about 2 minutes he was fine and since he does not speak English gave me the universal thumbs up… And was willing to go back in the water. Other proven applications on me is man-of-wars that I can get a severe allergic reaction from, and bees that I also can have a bad reaction from. Helped me from ant bites and spider bites too.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=13133&cat...

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by laventana]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 01:43 PM

Laventana,

This is a gel and not the spray you talk about.:?::?:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 05:09 PM

saw the doc to re-up my bp meds and he said it aint shingles! shingles affects one side of the body and i got it on both!!! that's a relief?!?!?!

anyway, hydrocortisone cream 25% should clear it up in a day or two.

p.s. let's take a vote. foto or no foto?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.