Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
What do you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_m6p99l6ME

Well, I tried the "test"----------with a totally dead AA cell, and a brand new one------they both bounced the same, and fell over. (every time). I did the "test" on ceramic tile in the kitchen.

I conclude that this "test" is pure balony!!!

Barry
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
What do you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_m6p99l6ME

Well, I tried the "test"----------with a totally dead AA cell, and a brand new one------they both bounced the same, and fell over. (every time). I did the "test" on ceramic tile in the kitchen.

I conclude that this "test" is pure balony!!!

You should be on Myth Busters. :spingrin:

Barry
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2013 at 05:24 PM

I dont know, I put a dead short on a new one, amazing how hot one of those little suckers get! anyway sure enough, on flat glass, its true. Im thinking its a slight bulge on the negitive end causing it :?:
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 06:13 AM

Use a tester.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 06:26 AM

Haven't tried the bounce test yet, it's plausible. But, if you use a lot of AA batteries as I do, watch this:

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 09:58 AM

If that image is supposed to be a "AA" battery I don't want to even go any further with this. Except for the 1.2 volt fully charged versus 1.6 for alkaline, it's tough to beat a good quality rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery.

"Shocking" the contents on any solid battery can agitate and redistribute its components. Even though my profession was flooded lead acid batteries, the "results" of gyro gearloose experiments is at best "unpredictable".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 10:09 AM

"it's tough to beat a good quality rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery."

Dittos

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 10:49 AM

I didn't have a dead AA alkaline battery but I did have a Harbor freight AA and a good one. They both bounced about the same. I did have a good AA Duracell and it did not bounce.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 11:24 AM

Just tried the AA battery test. In my experience just now, it worked. I couldn't get the good battery to stand up but I did easily notice a difference in the bounce and sound. The good battery hardly bounced at all and appeared to move more slowly in general as it didn't transfer kinetic energy from the drop into much motion at all after hitting the surface, especially and specifically compared to the drop of the spent battery. I could easily see that the kinetic energy of the drop was greatly absorbed in the drop of the fresh battery. Similar to dropping a slightly deflated volley ball versus a properly inflated ball. Very noticeable.

While these batteries have solid chemicals inside, the process of generating electricity is in actuality conducting a chemical reaction wherein the materials that exist before generating electricity are changed into different chemicals/substances during the generation of said electricity. So, a new unused battery will have different chemicals inside than a spent battery. Different chemicals/substances have different physical properties as well as different chemical properties. It is absolutely certain that there would be different physical properties in this case.

Side point on rechargeables. I use them all the time for short term personal usage, but they definitely have their drawbacks. I couldn't use rechargeable AA's when I was a professional photographer as they wouldn't stay charged long enough. The time I spent trying to keep enough AAs charged to carry me through a photo shoot was way to long and therefore impractical. Solved the problem by paying $13 at Costco for 40 AA Duracels. Saved me many, many hours and eliminated worry on the job. Still use rechargeables on my GPS but I also take a back up of new Duracels on the boat.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 12:24 PM

keyboard and mouse ... nothing dangerous

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 12:46 PM

SNOPES says the 6volt battery being full of AA cells is bull. urban myth, if you believe snopes anyway!:rolleyes:

found this on the "bounce"

The reason this works is that, as alkaline batteries discharge, the chemistry inside changes and produces Hydrogen gas, creating pressure and making it easier for the battery to bounce and topple.

Chances are you’re already familiar with this “out-gassing” as it’s called. It’s the same force that often causes the insulating seals and/or battery canister to crack open and leak.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 01:14 PM

With my luck I'd hurl the thing at the floor, it'd ricochet, fly through the window and let in all the mosquitoes.

I'll let my digital multimeter do all the "hurling" for me.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Just tried the AA battery test. In my experience just now, it worked. I couldn't get the good battery to stand up but I did easily notice a difference in the bounce and sound. The good battery hardly bounced at all and appeared to move more slowly in general as it didn't transfer kinetic energy from the drop into much motion at all after hitting the surface, especially and specifically compared to the drop of the spent battery. I could easily see that the kinetic energy of the drop was greatly absorbed in the drop of the fresh battery. Similar to dropping a slightly deflated volley ball versus a properly inflated ball. Very noticeable.

While these batteries have solid chemicals inside, the process of generating electricity is in actuality conducting a chemical reaction wherein the materials that exist before generating electricity are changed into different chemicals/substances during the generation of said electricity. So, a new unused battery will have different chemicals inside than a spent battery. Different chemicals/substances have different physical properties as well as different chemical properties. It is absolutely certain that there would be different physical properties in this case.

Side point on rechargeables. I use them all the time for short term personal usage, but they definitely have their drawbacks. I couldn't use rechargeable AA's when I was a professional photographer as they wouldn't stay charged long enough. The time I spent trying to keep enough AAs charged to carry me through a photo shoot was way to long and therefore impractical. Solved the problem by paying $13 at Costco for 40 AA Duracels. Saved me many, many hours and eliminated worry on the job. Still use rechargeables on my GPS but I also take a back up of new Duracels on the boat.

Interesting, Mitch. What did you use as a surface when doing the "drop test" on your AA batteries? I used a ceramic tile floor and their appeared to be no noticeable difference between the fully new battery, and a fully discharged one-------(using KIRKLAND Akaline AA cells).

On Rechargables----- we have had the best luck with Ray-o-vac "Hybrid" Nickle Metal Hydride (NiMH 1.2v) AA batteries (available at BATTERIES PLUS)------they have been significantly better than other brands tried. Our rechargables used in cameras last about 4 times as long (est.) as regular Alkaline batteries under heavy use. We have used the Ray-O-vac rechargables for several years now, and they still keep recharging with a trickle charger------takes 8 hours min. for a total recharge, charging 4 at a time. Not one has gone bad, so far. My wife uses her camera daily, multiple times, as she sells her wares on E-bay and Etsy.

For us, by far the worst performing NiMH rechargable has been the POWEREX AA cell--------charge did not last nearly as long as the Ray-o-vac, and 4 out of 6 failed within one year---would not take a charge at all after one year. Our Ray-o-vacs hold their charge for up to a month, or even longer when just sitting in my camera. Not so with the POWEREX---they lost their charge within 5 days of charging.

Barry
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
SNOPES says the 6volt battery being full of AA cells is bull. urban myth, if you believe snopes anyway!:rolleyes:

That's too bad. Maybe I'll try anyway.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2013 at 02:07 PM

Hey, Barry,
I have heard that some people have had a much different experience than I have had with rechargeables. Your experience is great. I never have used Ray-O-Vacs...sounds like that was my problem. Half of my AA rechargeables are Energizer NiMHs. I have had Powerex and Sunpak and they didn't last long.

I did my drop test on travertine stone floor tiles in the kitchen. I dropped the batteries at two different heights: 1)the height of the battery itself, 2)half the height of a battery. This time the fully charged battery didn't fall over on the test at half height. I compared the drop of a fresh Duracel to three different spent batteries: AC Delco, Panasonic and a Duracel. Steady your hands, then drop it. Just did the test again...big difference between the 3 spent batteries versus the fresh Duracel.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2013 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Hey, Barry,
I have heard that some people have had a much different experience than I have had with rechargeables. Your experience is great. I never have used Ray-O-Vacs...sounds like that was my problem. Half of my AA rechargeables are Energizer NiMHs. I have had Powerex and Sunpak and they didn't last long.

I did my drop test on travertine stone floor tiles in the kitchen. I dropped the batteries at two different heights: 1)the height of the battery itself, 2)half the height of a battery. This time the fully charged battery didn't fall over on the test at half height. I compared the drop of a fresh Duracel to three different spent batteries: AC Delco, Panasonic and a Duracel. Steady your hands, then drop it. Just did the test again...big difference between the 3 spent batteries versus the fresh Duracel.

Hi Mitch--------If you try the Ray-o-vacs rechargables, make sure you get the "HYBRID" type----a little pricey, but worth every penny, I think. Their cheaper than the POWEREX (at Batteries Plus), tho, and much better, IMO.

Good luck.

Barry

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.