BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Miscellaneous Gas Prices / ATM tipo de cambio Vizcaino Asuncion Road Update
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 02:22 PM
Miscellaneous Gas Prices / ATM tipo de cambio Vizcaino Asuncion Road Update

Fuel prices in BCS for gasoline and diesel remain unchanged for Sept.

Gross tipo de cambio at BanaMex yesterday 13.21 + deduct your bank fee.

Some very rocky (is a basketball size stone called a "rock"?) in the desviaciones (detours) between the 2 salt flats. Still some areas of hellacious bachis (potholes). The detours cannot support passage of a motorhome or vehicle pulling a travel or toy hauler. Hopefully the detours are going to last no longer than a week. The dropoff from the road to the detour is an abrupt 30 degree angle.

The road from the entroque to Asuncion has vados with hazardous amounts of hardened sand and silt between the last major curve and the short run into town. The worst 2 vados are either side of the entronque to Baja Blancas tierra :)

Congratulations, food and medicine now have an 11% tax

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 9-3-2013 at 02:46 PM

Congratulations, food and medicine now have an 11% tax

Just think,if you still lived on the mainland your food tax would be 16%........

I hear the whales song
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 01:22 PM

Yeah with food prices at HALF the cost. Fresh vegetables, raspberries, blueberries, piñas from Playa Azul still cost 15 pesos for two huge ripe ones. Strawberries 15 pesos a kilo. My food bill here is TWICE what it is in Michoacan. Tires? Hahahahahahahahaha 1,400 pesos each here, 1,500 pesos for TWO including alignment same brand and model.

Baja California is NOT CHEAP. Only Riviera Yucatan is more expensive along with gringolandia cities like San Miguel de Allende, Ajijic, Chapala, Puto Vallarta. Mexicans know all bout this disparity in prices.

I am here for the access to medical. Jesús told me Sunday my place is about finished. A bit optimistic, it needs roof, bathroom, and windows, and the AC sunk into the wall. A huge concrete aljibe, tinaca, electrical.

Once my spine has been fixed, eyes repaired, etc., I will be returning to my grand kids, family and friends. Swimming in the tropical Rio Chuta, 38km to banks, like 9, huge stores, real food, etc.

Baja California is special. it occupies a special place in my heart. But saying it is Mexico would be like visiting Anaheim and Disneyland and swearing up and down you have "Seen All of America".

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 02:22 PM

So, what were these "same as last month" prices for gas and diesel? I wasnt there last month.

But I know that in June, I actually found unleaded gas cheaper in Arizona than in mainland Mexico. Diesel was very close.

On my current trip NOB, I have found diesel as low as 3.59 for highway diesel. It is now cheaper than premium unleaded, just about everywhere I have been in AZ, NM, Colo, Neb, SD, Wyoming.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 06:01 PM

Oh yeah, did the tax on food and medicine actually PASS???? I heard it was proposed but did not read about its passage.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 07:02 PM

Bye DAvid
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
So, what were these "same as last month" prices for gas and diesel? I wasnt there last month.

But I know that in June, I actually found unleaded gas cheaper in Arizona than in mainland Mexico. Diesel was very close.

On my current trip NOB, I have found diesel as low as 3.59 for highway diesel. It is now cheaper than premium unleaded, just about everywhere I have been in AZ, NM, Colo, Neb, SD, Wyoming.

Diesel = 11.78 per liter
Magna = 11.38
Extra = 11.86

11.78 X 3.7854 = 44.52 pesos per gallon Divided by 13 = $3.43 per gallon at 13 pesos per dollar.

Guess at that price I won't cut my wrists and quit driving.

Magna

11.38 X 3.7854 = 43.07 pesos /gallon Divided by 13 $3.31

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 01:13 PM

David,, you are the first person I have heard say they are in Bahia Asuncion for medical . ;)
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 12:08 PM
"Why Bye?"

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Bye DAvid

Not leaving Tucson. Wouldn't be there in the first place...he he he he.

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 12:14 PM

I can EASILY reach the border in a bus ride overnight. From Michoacan it is 5 days by car, 3 bus transfers and days by bus and the nearest medical is in Tuk-Sun 75 miles further on. It's easier reaching the border from the capes than it is from where I live. But the medical issue is not ongoing. It is a fix, then get the hell out of the medical system. Will be nice waking up to hugs and kisses from the girls.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 12:38 PM

Why does it take you so long to reach the border from Michoacan? I can do Texas in 1and 1/2 days and Tucson in 2 and 1/2. Those are 12 hr or less driving days. I can reach anywhere in Michoacan in 8 hrs.

Not slamming just curious. Slow car maybe? Driver?
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 01:02 PM

COAST. Inland is much faster. My HMO is in CALIFORNIA not Texas. Ever drive north on Mex 200 and meet 50' flatbeds hauling rebar from Las Truchas? On those hairpin curves they allow around six feet of width. It is a FULL eight hours to Barra de Navidad. Then more slow 2-lane driving all the way through PV. Think Tijuana or Ensenada or San Quintin is slow? Try driving down the arroyo past the hotels then through the tunnels. Inland? Yeah. Five hours HAULING ASSS to Morelia. Then where? Back over to Tepic? That's another five hours. Have you kept track of the time lost waiting at the Puestos de Controles? There are only SEVENTEEN between where I live and the border. Driving like a maniac I can make it from Nogales to San Diego on I19 and I8 in 12 hours. it's longer from Nogales to San Diego than it is from Guerrero Negro.

The coast road Me 15 is expensive. Rooms that Baja Cactus rents for 150 pesos go for 400 (mostly by the hour) and the tolls amount to 143 dollars each way. From Tecoman to Villa Union is cruel.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 01:30 PM

I still don´t get it? You lived 8 hrs from me (Melaque). I have been doing this drive for many decades. Its never been faster than now. You must drive real slow or something? San Diego to Hermosillo 12 hrs. Hermosillo to Mazatlan 12 hrs. Mazatlan to Melaque 10.5 hrs. Easy peasy.

It can be done alot faster I just go with the flow and don´t get speeding tickets.

So even with your 8 hrs. to Barra (wich is an hour more than it should be) its a 3 and a half day drive not 5.

[Edited on 9-7-2013 by chippy]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 01:44 PM

You must be doing this is the summer. And yeah I do not drive 80 mph on the autopistas. San Diego to Hermosillo 12 hours? What do you do at the SHCP SAT Module, just buzz right on through?

Chula Vista Nogales 473 miles

Nogales to Hermosillo 175 miles

Total 648 miles

Fuel stops, Aduana, etc. one hour

Phoenix or Buckeye Bypass...

Twelve hours

Yeah you're averaging around 82 mph. You got me beat.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 02:04 PM

Fuel stops,aduana 1 hr. Not with a 42 gallon tank. I also don´t really use Nogales. Its Lukesville for me.

My best time was Melaque to Navajoa 16 hrs then Navajoa to San Diego (no. county) by 3 p.m. I wouldn´t do that again.

I can get to Puerto Escondido from San diego in 4.5 days. Been done many time.

Have you ever considered Guadalajara for medical? I have found better medical care in Guadalajara than I ever did in Ca. Cheaper and much better care.

ps your math sucks. 12 into 648 ah hello. 54

DavidE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 03:47 PM

STOPS, chippy, STOPS. I used to have a cast-iron bladder and a diesel truck with a sixty gallon tank. Hell once upon a time I used to be young. Me driving at 80+ is suicide for me and homicide for a potential almost near miss. Try as I might I cannot clear ADUANA in any kind of reasonable time. When they see a smiling gringo face, it's over to the side m-f, even with Guerrero Placas. Even with my IFE card the migras just love to "call it in" "just to see". Which is B.S. they have no way of determining anything on the side of the road. So i just do not "sail through" the SAT module area.

I see gringos and Mexicans alike driving 85-90mph on the cuotas. Burning up the road. I could have done that 20 years ago but not now.

The last operation they quoted me in Guadalajara was for 125,000 pesos which is just a tad outside my financial abilities. Oh and that did not include medications nor an anesthesiologist. Know of anywhere with ultrasound corrective lens cataract surgery for under $1,500 US? The spinal operation is supposed to be a 200,000 dollar affair including rehab. in the USA. Champagne taste and pulque budget - that's me. My MEXICAN Rx budget is 2,000 pesos a month, cheapest generics.

I've run the math on this 'till I was blue in the face, and cannot come up with a better solution. Living on Social Insecurity ain't easy - it allows for few errors.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.