Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Need advice for fishing
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-9-2013 at 05:24 AM

Ok when you guys are suggesting small crocs, what size are you using. Looks like the ugly stick is the rod.. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now I just need to get back down there. I should be down for Pete's Camp poker run and hopefully stay till after Thanksgiving. Plenty of time to try and catch some triggers :tumble:
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2013 at 11:19 PM

The smaller ones..2-3"??...not sure what they translates in Kroc talk! And a strip of squid on one of the hooks just to seal the deal. You will feel them hitting it many times and you may snag them as well. Unlike most fish who will dart out and GRAB it all at once they can take their time and work it over as you retrieve it.
Tacodawgtim
Junior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 10:06 AM

Thanks ill pick some up this week.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2013 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Thanks ill pick some up this week.
snip off the swivel and pick up some snap rings and triple strong trebles. you'll bend the crap out of em wrestling em out of those mouths! consider a rod with a little more backbone for hooksets. j-m-h-o of course ;)
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 11:50 AM
First time fishing in Baja

I am heading down near Punta Bufeo myself Nov 3-9 for my first trip beyond Ensenada. Looking forward to some fishing, kayaking and relaxing. Done some marlin and salmon fishing but never from a small boat or panga.

After reading through the thread, I am gong to pick up a 7 foot saltwater pole and reel with 20-30lb test like an UglyStick or similar.

Where can you pick up frozen squid down there? In San Felipe? Any other suggestions as to lures? Thanks.

If we decide to rent a panga boat in Gonzaga Bay and/or Bahia de Los Angeles, what prices should we expect to pay? Thanks.
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 03:47 PM

I fished with Tony Reyes (RIP) on his 5 day trips out of San Filepe for many many years. We would fish the coastline, islands and reefs down as far as San Francisquito on pangas... the advice from the deck hands was never use less than 50 Lb line and a rod and reel to back it up, I like a high speed reel (6 to 1) for throwing jigs when there is no bait available.... you may be targeting triggers but you never know what you are going to run into down there, black and white sea bass, large yellowtail, cabrilla, grouper. I never had a problem getting bit on the heavy line in the Sea of Cortez, (but it is a different story on the Pacific side). This advise from the pangeros that live their lives on the sea in the area and their livelihood depends on your tips and fish cleaning.

But i have heard this advice on the board before... "Listen to the voice in your tackle box" because thats why the sport is called "Fishing" not Catching... No two days are the same....

FYI, I fished in the summer months
yakyak2010
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:02 PM

Spikemd, we,ll be down oct 31 to nov 6 as part of the annual tinboat regatta, might see you there. Squid is good. We just pickup frozen squid in the states. You probably can get in san felipe but i wouldnt bet on getting it in gonzaga. Enjoy your trip. We'll be at rancho grande.

I\'ve been told I\'m preoccupied with Baja. They just don\"t understand, in fact neither do I.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
Ok when you guys are suggesting small crocs, what size are you using. Looks like the ugly stick is the rod.. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now I just need to get back down there. I should be down for Pete's Camp poker run and hopefully stay till after Thanksgiving. Plenty of time to try and catch some triggers :tumble:

I'm by no means a knowledgeable ocean fisherman, but the last few years i've fished exclusively with Krokodiles (made by Luhr-Jensen i might add). I fish mostly light tackle, Ugly Stick w/15 lb. to 20lb test unless there's a feed of 'monsters' happening... i use a 5/8 oz. 'blue mackarel' Krok and have journalled over 32 different species on that size lure alone, including a 21 lb. halibut, and a 56 lb. roosterfish (bigger test line for that one, and a pole i bought over 15 years ago from 'Auggie' in Mulege for $20). Good for slow bottom-jigging, trolling, casting into boils, you name it. That size comes with a little plastic 'blood-drop' on the ring holding the treble hook... i've found that using a simple cheap silver spoon, and putting a little red duct tape tab on the shank of the treble hook imitates a blood drop,and triples my hits.

Yet another use for DUCT TAPE !! I hope Red Green is proud of me.

Oh, forgot to mention a manta ray that dragged me around for an hour and ten minutes last day of fishing this spring.... same lure, 5/8 oz. Krok blue mackarel. Never did get to figger his weight, but it was on 30 lb test, and he took me for a RIIIIIIDE... got him to the boat, and he straightened out the hook whilst fishing for my camera. Figgered about 2 miles worth of being towed (14' iinflatable). Of course, this may all just be a bunch of Krok.....

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yakyak2010
Spikemd, we,ll be down oct 31 to nov 6 as part of the annual tinboat regatta, might see you there. Squid is good. We just pickup frozen squid in the states. You probably can get in san felipe but i wouldnt bet on getting it in gonzaga. Enjoy your trip. We'll be at rancho grande.

Very cool! The regatta looks like fun. I am excited to visit Baja as it is my first time beyond Ensenada. I will definitely have to come see you all and the 'regatta'. I will have an inflatable kayak, but no boat. A friend who has a 'cabin' near Punta Buffeo said he has a small boat, but I won't know what it is until I get down there. We will either be staying near hiim or camping under a palapa near Gonzaga. No definite plans once we get south of the border other than trying a little fishing and enjoying cervezas.

Thanks for the advice about the poles and lures. I will definitely pick some up before heading south. I plan on crossing at Mexicali and heading down 5. We will hopefully have at least two Land Rovers and possibly one more. Looking forward to the trip.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.