Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nomad educators, please take note
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 08:46 PM
Nomad educators, please take note

Striking teachers close International airport
About 200 local teachers blocked access to the San Jose International airport yesterday morning, protesting the previous day’s action by Congress to require teachers to take a proficiency test. The protesting teachers began arriving around 10:00 am, carpooling in dozens of vehicles that they then used to block access from the airport to San Jose and the toll road.
Hundreds of tourists who arrived on three flights were forced to step out of their taxi or bus and walk, dragging their suitcases behind them, through the protesting crowd.
Police did manage to restrict access to the terminals to travelers and employees.
The federal police, who have jurisdiction at the airport, tried to talk to the teachers’ leader, Alí Flores, into letting the departing passengers into the terminals. Pablo Zazueta, the airport’s manager and Ruben Reachi, the state secretary of tourism, also tried to talk to the union leaders, but were booed away by the angry teachers.
Eventually, the federal police convinced everyone to leave. They pointed out that blocking federal roads is a federal crime and they could call in riot police. The blockade lasted a little more than an hour.
The education reform winding its way through both houses of congress mandates periodic evaluation of teachers.
Those who have been teaching and fail the test three times will be kicked upstairs to administration positions.
Newly hired teachers must pass competency exams and be hired on a trial basis first. They will then be fired if they fail the test.
Teachers are striking throughout the country, not just here. Last week a mob of teachers succeeded in closing down the national congress in Mexico City. The congressmen convened in a nearby convention center and proceeded to pass the law anyway.
Just a thought here: Maybe the time spent picketing against the test could be better spent studying for the test?

Isn't the part in bold text how they already do it in your district?

John

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by jbcoug]

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 09:52 PM

government employees, (and i was one for 25+ years), have always rallyed against having to be "competent"...???....what's all that about????...try opposing that concept in the private sector and see how far it gits ya...geez!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 10:10 PM

The question is - Why don't the lawmakers pass the test before handing it to the Educators to pass? I'd like to know how competent these lawmakers actually are.:rolleyes:

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 10:37 PM
Well hot diggidy

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug

Those who have been teaching and fail the test three times will be kicked upstairs to administration positions.

Seems a very reasonable position by the MX feds.... pass a competency test to teach others.
Perform or find another position.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 05:35 AM

I am also confused as to why teachers dont want the test ....at the middle school in La Bocana, the teachers told me they had taken and passed the test already.

What one teacher wrote is that the students will have to pay for all school expenses if it passes .... Meaning staplers, staples, paper, pens, even tp.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 06:01 AM

Evaluating the competency of a teacher is a very, very subjective thing. If you test for competency in a specific subject, that tells you very little to nothing as to whether or not the teacher is good at actually teaching the subject. Two different things entirely.

If you test the students to measure their progress as a parameter to judge the effectiveness of the teacher, and then compare the results to other test results, that wouldn't be comparable as the students of other teachers at other schools are probably of different capabilities, parenting, initial IQ, culture in the home with regard to importance of education, socioeconomics, etc.

Can tests really evaluate all the intangible qualities that are desirable in a good teacher like the teachers' motivational abilities, disciplinary abilities, organizational abilities, compassion or the lack thereof, genuine interest in teaching and in students, ability to cope with stress, requisite respect for students, decorum, grooming, sophistication, ability to be a role model, etc.?

The best way to evaluate a teacher's performance in the classroom is to surprise visit the classroom and observe the class with sufficient statistical frequency, then interview the students themselves asking pertinent and relevant questions. The observers themselves need ongoing scrutiny as well.

FWIW, I knew and worked out with many Olympians and participated in competition for 9 years of my youth. I noticed that the best coaches in high school and college were mediocre athletes themselves and the vast majority of the good and best athletes made lousy coaches...especially the very best athletes. In business, the best and most successful managers were B and C students in college. In fact, many of the managers that eventually washed out were those that were very competent in their field, just not competent in management...completely two different skills.

I think that teachers should be PROPERLY AND FAIRLY AND APPROPRIATELY evaluated, and those that pass should be properly and fairly compensated.

We expect a great deal from our teachers, especially that they be dedicated, nurturing, and compassionate role models.

Often people think that teachers should be treated more like employees of a business where viability of businesses are based on how well they can compete in the market place.

Have you ever had a crappy boss or worked for a business owner directly that turned out to be a crappy experience?

Just because a business is profitable doesn't mean that the working environment there would be good for children and students.

[Edited on 9-6-2013 by MitchMan]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 06:10 AM

I worked in a college school district in CA for 30 years and, yes, that is often what happened. Rather than go after a teacher or administrator for incompetence, they usually found a position for them somewhere else in the district. The typical MO was charge the person with their infractions, person then sues within the system and the whole thing is covered up by a transfer. Teacher incompetence or administrator incompetence reflects bad on higher-up administrators so everyone is keen on covering up the whole thing, all the way up the line.

On this new law in Mexico, I havent seen anything that precludes the nepotism or outright sale of positions by teachers. If they pass the competency test (and in Mexico, does anyone think it wont be leaked to favored ones beforehand?), they can still pay for the position.

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 06:18 AM

That is funny John..............sometimes it seems to me like the dark print is true. The thing that gets me the most about teaching (I am retired after 36 years) is that the bottom feeders..............teachers, never get asked about how it is going or are included in any decision making processes. And who would really know how the students are doing and what is working? Ah well...I am no longer in the system although I do care what happens to the children. I was always up for the surprise visit...it was no problem for me. Oh for the record....I loved teaching. I was one of the lucky ones who picked the right thing for me the first time, Nancy
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 06:42 AM

THAT, MitchMan, is the most coherent and accurate summation of education today. Thankfully I retired years ago, but my daughter still teaches. No Child Left Behind, now Common Core, yet the classroom teacher is left out of the process. Politics! Blame the teacher like we blame the autoworker for a crappily designed car? Very difficult job today. Most teachers will say "just let me teach!"
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:05 AM

I am with you Jack!!!!!!!!!! No Child Left Behind was A joke. Just saying!!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:15 AM

In Mexico, as in the United States, private education is many times more effective at education and normally with less dollars. Here the catholic church does most of the private elementary education, but the results are night and day in terms of academic achievement.
So far I have not seen the sisters with their rulers out striking, and if they were, the traffic would probably snap to and follow orders quickly.
Besides the ranchers, I am also starting to see some homeschooling which has exploded in the US.

jbcoug
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 07:24 AM

I think the majority of you missed my point. I'm still in the trenches after 36 years and enjoy my job, although I'm about ready to retire. I have no concerns about demonstrating my competency and think all teachers should be able to do so. The "how to evaluate" is the sticky part. What I had to laugh at is that the proposal that those failing the test three times would be kicked up to administrative positions. You do know what that means don't you? Our leaders, building principles and other district administrators, would be made up of those not qualified to perform the basic function of the education system, teaching. Anyway, I thought it was kind of funny, and not far removed from the current method of administrative selection.

John

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 11:34 AM

As a current teacher in Chula Vista, CA. I enjoyed the article and many of your comments very much.

What John highlighted in bold reminds me of what happened at my high school this year.

Our principal was not the best...he was intimidated by students and always took their side with the parents against the teachers.

The kids were wild...skateboards in the hallways, kids always out of class...and nothing done about it. Well, the teachers wanted him out!

At the end of the year, the Superintendent came to a special meeting held at our school, and announced that an administrative posititon was open at the District Office and our principal was going to fill it!!

We were estatic, and now have a great, new woman on the job!

Also talked to a colleague that used to work at Southwest High School...the most Southern school in California...lots of border crossers. He got transferred to a school on the East side...and told me how much better of a teacher he is...at least according to the student test scores!!
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 12:06 PM

Heather,
Thanks for sharing your colleagues experience. It is spot on. The public seems to believe that all teaching situations are the same and that they all should end with the same result. Frankly, not every teacher is working with the ideal clientele. Who you have to work with has an impact on the end result. I have had a very successful career working with many less than optimal students. I am proud of their educational and personal growth and have no problem having to demonstrate my competence. On the other hand, I'm glad my employement isn't dependent on the number of Rhodes scholars I've produced.

John

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 03:42 PM

Again, I loved teaching but it helps when you have a strong admin. If not, you are toast!!!!!!!!!! Nancy
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2013 at 04:01 PM

I do so love teaching and I do agree that one needs a very strong administration at your back. We also had a policy of the coordinators being able to pop in at any time. I had just been teaching for maybe 2 years and my coordinator popped into my ESL class. No sweat. After I started my second ESL class of the day, he popped in again. Very odd, I had not had a chance to talk to him as he had left 5 min b4 the 1st class had ended, so I thought maybe something was wrong, but I continued on. When the exact same thing happened again, and I mean he left before I finished and came in five minutes into the third class, I was spooked. When class ended, I went to the big supervisor and started to cry ... WHAT IS WAYNE DOING? I sobbed. My boss looked at me and said: He could not believe you could pull off such excellent classes one after the other. Was her response..... Jeez louise......crazy good day, in the end. Here I am 30 years later and still remember all the details!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.