Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Why 1 in 5 US workers won't retire
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
I'm considering taking retirement soon. What are the living costs like in Ensenada these days? Are there many nomads living in/near Ensenada who could offer their perspectives?

20 years ago a partner and I invested in some properties at San Miguel. Last time I visited in the spring it was busy and crowded at the restaurant. I've been waiting for an opportunity to either rebuild or sell a lot there. Lots of activity going on.

If anyone has direct knowledge of Ensenada as a retirement location, I'd appreciate a reply.

I'm also looking for advice regarding property ownership for non-Mexican citizens.
(We keep hearing rumors of changes to the constitution. )

Thank you!

As far as ownership, the Constitution may or may not change now, but it should happen within the next few months. It has passed one house of the Mexican Congress and now needs to pass their Senate and be approved by most of the governors.

If you are not in any rush, I sure would not buy property until it is decided because if it passes, it could save you THOUSANDS of dollars.

[Edited on 9-21-2013 by DianaT]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 04:53 PM

Whale-ista wrote:
"20 years ago a partner and I invested in some properties at San Miguel"

Sounds like you can kiss that investment goodbye

Bob Durrell
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 06:58 PM

ASAP !!!!!! I buried my brother in law this day he was just 50, diabetes and other complications related to diabetes. I am 54, retired last august the retirement timing was right. I was able to bring him down to baja his first and now only trip there. My wife and I will be in baja more and more and build a casa over the next few years and spend more time as we go on. a slower approach to full retirement while still working part time 9 months a year and less as time continues till 59 1/2 then it will be full retirement. my brother in law was homeless for a time till i married his sister and met him and had him move in with us. he lived on next to nothing and had minimal expectations of doing better and survived. I should think that anyone of average means should be able to manage to live well enough in baja. life is about happiness and that is free. He thought baja was paradise.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 02:28 PM

Double income, no kids and those evil government pensions let me cut the cord at 48. Hallelujah! Life is good.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2013 at 02:44 PM
Ensenada

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
I'm considering taking retirement soon. What are the living costs like in Ensenada these days? Are there many nomads living in/near Ensenada who could offer their perspectives?

20 years ago a partner and I invested in some properties at San Miguel. Last time I visited in the spring it was busy and crowded at the restaurant. I've been waiting for an opportunity to either rebuild or sell a lot there. Lots of activity going on.

If anyone has direct knowledge of Ensenada as a retirement location, I'd appreciate a reply.

I'm also looking for advice regarding property ownership for non-Mexican citizens.
(We keep hearing rumors of changes to the constitution. )

Thank you!

We retired here and love it!!! I think Ensenada is retirement friendly, and can accommodate most retirees. 90 minutes to the US border on good roads, medical services, shopping, civic and cultural events and great food.

Guadalupe Valley (wine country) is 30-45 minutes away.

Plenty of ex-pats in town, and there is always something happening. Lot's of Ex-Pats living in the Punta Banda area and the Baja Country Club.

For more of a local flavor, you may want to subscribe to the Punta Banda Newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.