BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sep 30th is the 37th Anniversary of the Arrival of Hurricane Liza; the Worse Day In La Paz History
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 05:06 PM

You research and write history so very well. THANKS.

The idea that they may have selected who might be flooded and perhaps die is chilling.

Brinloor
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 05:11 PM

Wow. Thanks for your time and research. A tragic event I had never heard about. I will never look at the arroyos in La Paz the same way again.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2013 at 05:59 PM

Thank you for sharing that history. What a great job you did putting that together. Fascinating. Here's hoping there is no repeat.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 08:37 AM

Seeing that photo of the Marisla pulling up a truck from the Salvatierra brings up another story...that of the Marisla. Marilu is still alive and has great stories of that era in La Paz history. Thanks for the photo Willardguy.
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 10:57 AM

Wow, tomorrow is the day. I never heard of it and I am coming to the area since 1998. Very educational, THANKS for putting it on.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-29-2013 at 11:51 AM

Wow, amazing stuff there---great report, thanks for taking the time.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 10:10 AM

Holy cow-2.5ft of rain in an hour. Thank you for putting together this fascinating story.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 10:56 AM

thank you for putting this together. fascinating read.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 11:54 AM

Myself, Tio Don O'Neil, Jack Foster, Fred Schmidt, Ben Benner, Sat out Lisa in Two Motorhomes next to the Hotel Oasis in Loreto.

We just got the edge of High winds and lots of Water which came down the Main Street of Loreto.

The reports we got from La Paz indicated many more than 500 People lost in La Paz. For several days the Sharks fed on the many Bodies that had been washed out into the Bay. There was no Traffic through for more than two weeks.
A very Tragic Event.
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 12:55 PM
Massive Flooding in Tijuana.

I think I remember something like this happening in Tijuana, back in 197?. From what I can remember, after some very heavy rains, the water in the Abelardo Rodriguez Dam was quickly rising and causing concern as to the integrity of the dam. To prevent the dam from " Bursting " it was decided to relieve pressure by opening the gates and flooding the Tijuana River. However allot of people had constructed homes along the river. I believe they were given a warning to evacuate and then the gates were opened,washing away everything in its path including many innocent poor Mexicans that would eventually wash up from Ensenada to San Diego. I couldn't find any articles relevant to this but one.

Sorry Baja Nomad, I wanted to post this on a thread I was following on La Paz being flooded. Can you move it ??

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/suplementos/2/40/i...

y

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by luv2fish]

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luv2fish
I think I remember something like this happening in Tijuana, back in 197?. From what I can remember, after some very heavy rains, the water in the Abelardo Rodriguez Dam was quickly rising and causing concern as to the integrity of the dam. To prevent the dam from " Bursting " it was decided to relieve pressure by opening the gates and flooding the Tijuana River. However allot of people had constructed homes along the river. I believe they were given a warning to evacuate and then the gates were opened,washing away everything in its path including many innocent poor Mexicans that would eventually wash up from Ensenada to San Diego. I couldn't find any articles relevant to this but one.

Sorry Baja Nomad, I wanted to post this on a thread I was following on La Paz being flooded. Can you move it ??

http://www.el-mexicano.com.mx/informacion/suplementos/2/40/i...

y

[Edited on 9-30-2013 by luv2fish]

"-----innocent poor Mexicans" ???? They locate in a very large river bed, downstream from a very old dam, and they are "innocent"??? Hmmmmmm, that strikes me as an odd characterization of them.

Barry
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 01:31 PM

November 25, 1966, Ave Revolucion had a foot of water running down it. Most of Tijuana's side streets then were mud. We had to re-enter the USA (FOUR inspector kiosks!) and eat in Imperial Beach. We cancelled out plans for the peninsula and drove to Brownsville. A four-day "getaway" turned into a five-month gone-over-the-hill. Susan had turned 18 that July. Lived in Newport Beach. Her dad was an excitable guy. I could hear him fifteen feet away when we went to casas de larga distancia so she could keep in touch.

But Tijuana was a mess. The "callers" sat on the hood of cars parked on the street, dressed in slickers. Sure screwed up our plans to have tacos for dinner.

All I can tell ya it wasn't only mud, and water that we saw floating down the streets.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 07:19 PM

My husband grew up in La Paz, and I've heard of this Hurricane from him and his mother. It is something that is still fresh in their minds.
Their place was near the stadium, near the government buildings, so think they were all OK.

Thanks for putting some details to this tragedy...great read!
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2013 at 09:09 PM

Yes, I remember reading about it the Arizona Daily Star (Tucson) paper in September, 1976

I was also there in December of 1976 on my great trip down the peninsula with my friends from Riverside and Tucson. I remember the blinding white alabaster sand of the washes around La Paz.

Later in 1979, I also remember on another trip the taxi cab driver describing the loss of life in the big arroyo where thousands of people were washed out to sea. He was almost proudfull of what happened to the poor people of La Paz.

2 and 1/2 feet of rain in a short time can do these things....

Steve in Oro Valley
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.