Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rehab Ride
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 11:49 AM
Rehab Ride

Cardiac rehab that is.

First thanks to those who wished me well when I posted in late July that I had just had a little cardiac tune up in the form of a 4-way bypass. As I posted then, my problems were found before I had a heart attack and the procedure was very timely. I am happy to report that I have had a very rapid and complete recovery from the surgery although I can't recommend the first 12-18 hours after the operation.

After 6 weeks I started riding my motorcycles locally and at 10 weeks was feeling the need for a Baja fix. Decided that I would only ride pavement so took my 1981 CB750 and headed for Mulege which is just about 1000 miles from here. Rode to San Diego first day and then to El Rosario. Next day I rode all the way to Mulege, hadn't intend to but felt pretty good and pushed on. Nearly 400 miles. I just relaxed in Mulege at the Hacienda for four days and then started back. Same routine, rode to El Rosario then 2nd day to Tecate and my usual layover in San Diego before heading back to home in Arroyo Grande. Put about 2200 miles on the old bike and it never missed a beat. While I was a little tired from the ride it gave me a lot of confidence back. In general I feel much better than I have in some years and since I am pushing 70 that is a good sign. I have been riding in Baja since 1974 and hope to continue for a few more years.

BTW, my cardiologist told me to now expect a "normal life span," not exactly sure what that means at my age but am going to make the most of it.
Salsa
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:00 PM

Great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:10 PM

Very cool Kurt. Stay healthy old man! I would love to see some pix!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:18 PM

Wishing you super health and wellness Kurt!

Don't forget to drink lots of orange juice (it works)!

More Baja adventures await...

'KurtG' is in the center, on the peninsular divide, road to Mission Santa Maria, May, 2010:

From left to right: BajaTripper (and Zully), CG, Baja Angel, KurtG, Neal Johns, Baja Bucko, edm1 (and daughter), hb murphy (and Zoom).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:42 PM

That guy in the center is a little smaller these days. 50 pounds or so.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:54 PM

Nice work Kurt!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 03:50 PM

We are really glad you are back on your bike again Kurt....too bad we missed you this trip! Live it up amigo.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
We are really glad you are back on your bike again Kurt....too bad we missed you this trip! Live it up amigo.

I strongly considered heading out your way on the way north but was missing hearth and home. Kathy and I will be loading up the Explorer mid-November and Asuncion is on our list of places to visit again, we look forward to seeing you and Juan.

Speaking of "hearth and home" I can't express strongly enough what it means to have a good support system when going through an event like this. Having Kathy, my son and daughter, and a couple of close friends around made all the difference for me. However, the first day they found out I had been back on a bike much of the sympathy vanished!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 08:56 AM

sounds like you are living the LIFE again ! congrats.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 05:22 PM

how did you come to the fact that you needed the bypass work was there some indication you experianced prior that led to further investigation
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bledito
how did you come to the fact that you needed the bypass work was there some indication you experianced prior that led to further investigation

The drive into Mission Santa Maria can cause heart failure!

Russ was in that truck!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 06:40 PM

Quote:

We had stepped up our exercise routine and I noticed some shortness of breath and that I was getting more fatigued than in the past. Went to my Doctor who quickly referred me to a cardiologist who did a treadmill and ultrasound which showed some blockages. Couple of days after that I was in the cath lab getting an angiogram and seeing if stents would work which they would not due to the extent of the blockages. That was on a Friday and I was kept in the hospital over the weekend and had bypass surgery Monday. I was fortunate in that I had not had a heart attack and my health was otherwise generally good. As I stated, I had a good and pretty quick recovery although the first few weeks are a bit tough while the sternum heals up. No question that I dodged a bullet here, I likely would have had a heart attack in the near future and my friends would have faced the challenge of finding good things to say about me at my funeral.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 07:25 PM

Got a quick tune up and the engine is up and running!! I like your attitude Kurt!!
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
Quote:

We had stepped up our exercise routine and I noticed some shortness of breath and that I was getting more fatigued than in the past. Went to my Doctor who quickly referred me to a cardiologist who did a treadmill and ultrasound which showed some blockages. Couple of days after that I was in the cath lab getting an angiogram and seeing if stents would work which they would not due to the extent of the blockages. That was on a Friday and I was kept in the hospital over the weekend and had bypass surgery Monday. I was fortunate in that I had not had a heart attack and my health was otherwise generally good. As I stated, I had a good and pretty quick recovery although the first few weeks are a bit tough while the sternum heals up. No question that I dodged a bullet here, I likely would have had a heart attack in the near future and my friends would have faced the challenge of finding good things to say about me at my funeral.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2013 at 07:40 PM

Glad to hear you're doing good and still riding!

cabonotcho
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 08:58 AM

I love seeing pics of happy ppl in baja their weather beatin faces showing both resilience and joy thx 4 a nice post.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 09:12 AM

Kurt,

Great news that you're back doing what you love and in Baja to boot.

At the Hacienda, did they let you park your MC in the courtyard?

Ken

KurtG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Kurt,

Great news that you're back doing what you love and in Baja to boot.

At the Hacienda, did they let you park your MC in the courtyard?

Ken

Yes, bikes are welcome in the courtyard as in past years. I first rolled in there in Oct. 1974 on a '73 CB750.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.