willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 10:09 PM
stay in touch via Spot Connect

this is pretty cool

SPOT Connect
Text Message from ANYWHERE

from PCI radios, prerunning.....

Send Text Messages from ANYWHERE! Now in stock at PCI, the SPOT Connect is an amazing little device that connects to your smart phone via bluetooth and allows you to send text messages from anywhere in the world. (No cell service or wifi needed!) We've been using this all week while prerunning, it's awesome to check in with crew and loved ones and say when you start prerunning, and that you are done and back safe. (or that you need a trailer or transmission at RM 550)

from the spot site....

Simply pair your smartphone with SPOT Connect, and get connected to a global satellite network that lets you send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet. Update Twitter and Facebook. Send email and text messages. Request non-emergency help from professional service providers. And in the case of a critical emergency, send an SOS message requesting emergency assistance.

Send messages from virtually anywhere via satellite
Type and Send message (41 character) or Predefined message (120 character) options
Track Progress on Google Maps or SPOT Adventures page
On device SOS button for standalone emergency operation

Price: $169.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVl_HMEblw

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 11:10 PM

Is there a regular fee for usage? monthly?
Or is it $169.99 and use it all you want?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:39 AM
receive a reply?

Sending a message is great, can you get a reply from those you send a text to?

Do you know they received it? and they are on the way with the transmission?

John
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 05:57 AM

There is a yearly service fee.. checkout SPOT's other options with their new Gen 3 units that send and recieve..

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Sending a message is great, can you get a reply from those you send a text to?

Do you know they received it? and they are on the way with the transmission?

John

The SPOT Gen 3 is a one way message (outbound from you), you cannot get a reply. The SPOT Connect will also send (limited) one way messages you create, no reply messages received.

In the 6+/- years I have been using my SPOT in the US, Canada and Mexico it has NEVER failed to deliver an OK message or a tracking program.......YMMV

I have not tried to send a HELP or 911 message. I would imagine that if you pre-warned those on your contact list, you could initiate a HELP message as a test, as it only goes to them. I wouldn't want to try it with the 911 function.

There are yearly service fees, but are minimal, IMHO, for what you get. They also offer through GEOS a travel medevac insurance plan and a SAR benefit.

Started with the original SPOT and now have the SPOT generation 3. I highly recommend for any outdoor adventure and/or Baja travel

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by bajaguy]

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:30 AM

OK. I'm sold on the Spot 3. What is the annual fee? I'm on the website now. Is it $150?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
OK. I'm sold on the Spot 3. What is the annual fee? I'm on the website now. Is it $150?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

That link should show all the program options and costs

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:41 AM

Thanks bajaguy. You rule. Gonna get one today. Ya never know when you're out in the middle of nowhere by yourself or with the family when you may need it. I'll try it next week when I'm down for the 1000 and in a very desolate area.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:50 AM

OUT OF STOCK online. I'll try a retail location.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
OUT OF STOCK online. I'll try a retail location.

This is a trip that I took to LA Bay last week. Shows tracking, not the OK messages. You can zoom and use the map or satellite views.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=...

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 08:40 AM

One advantage of the Spot Connect, is the smart phone will do your tracking for you, as well as post to email and FB, there by saving on the service fee, 99 vs 150. All are only sending units and do not receive.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.