Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: flood diversion Mulege
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 06:20 PM
flood diversion Mulege

Heard but not verified.... the heavy equipment to do the flood diversion project in the valleys west of Mulege is staged and ready to go...
Don't know if a google earth map would be current enough to verify...
If this is for real then the valley dwellers will be partyin big time soon...
Wait and see attitude as to where the money actually gets funneled... but lots of work goin on in town under the bridge and along the river roads both sides....

Ok, just don't go all crazy and poo poo it..... thanks

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 06:22 PM

Diversion to where?

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:11 AM

Drove over the bridge yesterday going south. Didn't notice any equipment under the bridge, but sure did notice the work that was done on the south side of the bridge (ice house) WOW!!!!!!Paved road. And YIKES looking at the old Orchard park from the highway. ????????? Loved that place back before the huge flood of some years ago. Didn't even bother to drive down this trip.
Must have been a lot of "owners" that 'walked away' from their homes after that.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:42 AM

I suspect the diversion is probably well upstream of the bridge itself. There would be no place to "divert" the water, that close to town.

But it still has me puzzled where all that water could be safely diverted to.........

mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:48 AM

You can't see it from on the bridge but they are building a bridge under the bridge over the estuary into town... They are also working on the north side river road toward Loma Azul.
As for the Orchard... Very few about that still had homes standing walked away,, all were leased properties.. Several have sold theirs for cents on the dollar... The Orchard lost about 22 structures in hurricane Jimena, and many of those have not returned... Much of the devestation you see is still owned by the developer of the park... He has not done any cleanup or repair since last years storm "Paul" kind of sad for the area...
The gringo owners for the most part have done the cleanup and repairs out of pocket to at least bring the place back to a living situation... It still remains a very friendly community with a diverse group... We still have great interaction and host a movie night every week or so.. along with nfl football on the big screen...
We are still a very freindly group and enjoy visiting with all... It is just very sad for the Mulege community in general that the developer does not take care of his properties.. There is no longer a RV park in the Orchard and no leased properties... All homes are Fideicomiso properties...
Maybe too much info but I thought we might set the record straight... Anytime anyone would like to stop and have a beer we are in the verde casita #111 in the NE corner of the park...

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:49 AM

Hook,

Someone posted rumors of planned dam construction upstream in the valley. I find that hard to believe though.

Ken
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I suspect the diversion is probably well upstream of the bridge itself. There would be no place to "divert" the water, that close to town.

But it still has me puzzled where all that water could be safely diverted to.........

Maybe "diversion" was too broad a term for many to understand... those of us here have a wait and see as to what the plan is... could be just larger retention areas... It's not worth beatin it to death this early in the process..

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 09:51 AM

"Construction "work on the North side and Loma Azul is nothing more than grading and filling potholes. Under the bridge is some new concrete for the river road. Ice house road is new but goes nowhere.....I have seen the plans for the flood "control" dams up the arroyo....basicly designed to slow down the water and reduce the surge.....I doubt any construction other than some stakes in the ground has taken place....

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 09:56 AM
The bakery

I know the pool is up high...but is the grounds and bakery still working/alive????
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I know the pool is up high...but is the grounds and bakery still working/alive????

Eh??
Wha'??

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 11:52 AM

What a wierd question..Pool? Bakery?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

Thinking of this place, maybe?

2006 MULEGE SCENES (7) maria isabell rv park sign.jpg - 28kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 12:28 PM
Hola amigo !!

You and your great posts are missed !!!hope your healthy and wiser than the day before !! and yes,,thats this place I was asking about...for us old timers it was a great place along the Baja journey....is it still open and alive ??...K&T:cool:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 12:37 PM

captkw, Sorry, I can't give you today's update on Maribelle's place, because I'm way too far North at the present. Just hope she doesn't flood again like the last time.

Per this thread's theme, I also hope this new activity/construction means help for the flood zone in Mulege.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 01:44 PM

Hi Roger... good to see you here!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 02:21 PM

Yes, it's great to have Pompano chime in and clear up the mystery of pool and bakery... I was thinking along the lines of one of the watering holes in town that has a billiard table, everybody who goes there comes out half-baked and the joint regularly floods... but not so.

Yes, Maribel's is "open" but has been ravaged repeatedly by each successive flood, I believe. She still hosts the annual fundraiser for the Senior Home in Santa Rosalia. Perhaps someone in the know can report in.

About the water diversion/dam(s) in the back country, I don't know and won't speculate.
I'll ask brother-in-law who is in the know about most things around town.
If he knows, he'll give me the straight poop... so to speak.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 02:36 PM
The bakery

That was the place to go !!small clean camping not to far from town and a nice pool that sounds like few folks that are left know about....And of course the bakery was dynamite !! fresh hot rolls with breakfast and Big John (rip) and his fishing storys...So,,Not a weird question...That was the place in that town for rving,tent and long term way before the orchard and JJ...now .far as a dam..I'll belive when I see it !!!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2013 at 02:37 PM

Don't know about the pool but no bakery since Jimena in 2009 as we remember...
As for the construction under the bridge... maybe Chuckie has the straight scoop.
What or where did the big rebar cages go that they were tying there and where did the big earth drill with the 5 foot bit drill to put them in.??
Maybe reinforcing for the current bridge or ??? inquiring minds would like to know...
They are spending a bucket load of $$$$ down there for some reason.. They have also filled in the front end of the malecon where it washed out last year... along with cleaning up the north river road. the last week or so.
Then again,,, there are believers and nonbelievers... along with the majority of those of us that are a little pessimistic... We are pretty sure the money isn't coming from the local coffers... has to be coming from higher up.
A lot of concrete has been laid and rip-rap over the bank there...
just sayin...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.