BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 10:01 AM

Poetry, drama, painting, dance, MUSIC. The energy on this thread proves that art is indeed powerful.. (and can even be dangerous.) Music in particular can stir up our emotions to point of confrontations. Plato warns us of the good and bad influences of music.

Lennon and the others discussed here? I'd say we can thank History for music of the 60's & 70's. (with drugs and war as a close second, of course.)

I'm thinking of beating rocks together, the first monkey to beat a hollow tree with a stick, or the first aborigine to whirl a Bullroarer in Australia. The oldest bone flute was made from a vulture's wing and is dated to 30,000BC.

We now have acid rock. See what happened?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 10:43 AM

Don't know what happened. I thought the early sound was quite good. I like to imagine baja's early native americans playing this instrument in that cave I once showed here.

[Edited on 12-12-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Barbara "Babs" Streisand a good example------devine voice (best of the century, IMO) but very flawed in her personal beliefs, but so what? Her talent is her contribution.

I am a KINGSTON TRIO guy, the original 3, that is. And a SINATRA fan also.

Barry

Barry,

you're allowed five. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 03:20 PM

Kingston Trio - Si. Trini Lopez - No.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 04:07 PM

The most important thing to remember about Perry Como was that he is JUST as exciting dead as he ever was alive. This is no secret.

http://www.squeegi.com/video.php?v=967b62ec-eaea-11e0-8112-0...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Barbara "Babs" Streisand a good example------devine voice (best of the century, IMO) but very flawed in her personal beliefs, but so what? Her talent is her contribution.

I am a KINGSTON TRIO guy, the original 3, that is. And a SINATRA fan also.

Barry

Barry,

you're allowed five. :biggrin::biggrin:

Perhaps, but my memory is too shot to just come up with the other 2 off the top of my head.. :rolleyes:

I loved the EAGLES, and somebody mentioned Madonna (she is amazing). And, second to Babs for tone-control has GOT to be Emma Lou Harris for her first 25 years----getting a little rusty now, but still good well into her '60's. She still gives me tingles in my body when I hear certain songs of her's (maybe that is because she is beautiful to watch, too).

Then there is Andrea Bocelli-------tough to beat HIM.

For me it is ALL about the tonal-quality as I can seldom make out what they are saying. :lol:

Barry
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Lee,

I only took exception to the comment that "nothing was happening" except the Beatles and the BB's.

OK poor choice of words. Let's not forget Traffic, Jeff Beck, Dave Mason, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood, Clapton, Blind Faith, Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Company, The Dead, Moby Grape, Charlatans, Steve Miller, Boz, Quicksilver, Santana, Sly and Janis. Steward Brand, Chet Helms, Big Daddy Tom Donahue, Haight before the hippies, Castro St. before the gays. Man those were the days.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 06:26 PM

Jeez Lee, how about Grant Street before Ferlinghetti. It really hasn't been the same since Emperor Norton died!

Yes I do remember sitting in a chicken wire cage at the Fox and the Hound listening to jazz before I could buy a drink. The summer of love and the transition of the HA may not have been the best example of progress, but it was the best we could do, and it was history making. If this was a bad thing, how much better a thing was if for Nixon and Kissinger to swear on their Bibles that we weren't in Laos, when we now know they were in process of dropping more bombs on that country than fell on all of Europe for all of WWII. Others Americans were doing that while we were letting our hair grow. I know where I heap the shame. IMAGINE.:lol:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

BigOly
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 06:39 PM

Joni Mitchell----"They paved Paradise" sorry!

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by BigOly]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 06:39 PM

Vag,

That added a lot to this thread.

:?:

[Edited on 12-13-2013 by tripledigitken]
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 10:16 PM

My apologies to the guy who started the thread.:lol::lol::lol:

Lee sparked me. I don't think the hippies screwed-up the Haight Ashberry any worse than Nixon screwed-up Laos. Lennon was an anti-war icon, and although that wasn't what got him killed, I never seem to tire of comparing hippie transparency to Nixonian deceit. I never forgave Merle Haggard for "Okie from Muskogee" either!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure glad politics isn't like that any more.:coolup:

Bill Kauth

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 01:02 PM
Paving Paradise

One thing about music are the memories often triggered by associating a song heard with a memorable event in life.

Although I'd heard the Joni Mitchell song many times before then, whenever I hear it now I remember sailing off St. John in the USVI looking at a hillside being carved up with new homes.

Along the same line (sort of), "Spirit in the Sky" will forever bring forth pleasant memories from the many Topless Bars we used to visit after work at North American Aviation in El Segundo.

THAT song was a favorite with the Dancers.

[Edited on 12-14-2013 by MrBillM]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.