Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: BOLA icon dies in car crash
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 06:03 AM

Paulina,

Thanks for forwarding the pictures to Herman's family. It was a privilege to share quality time with him on Thanksgiving.
Graham

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 12:08 PM

some one tell us the chicken joke
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 12:11 PM

RIP Herman, we met you years ago and shared a beer at your home. You signed my book for me, thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-12-2013 at 06:14 PM
Herman Hill October, 2013

Quote:
Originally posted by jgletne
Try the photo again

Photos from 'jgletne':

Here (below): photo is Herman delivering his chicken joke punch line. Both were taken in October

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2013 at 06:55 PM

Herman will be missed. He was the highlight of our annual dirt bike visits to LA Bay. Enjoyed hearing his stories over breakfast at Guillermo's. Does anyone have any details on what happened??
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 06:20 PM

Damn, another great one I never got to meet. Well, as they say, 'it's my own damn fault'.

I was down there in Mar., '04; bought beer at the Diaz tienda; sat out on the benches. A couple of the old timers came by and shared; I think he was one of them, by the photos. Never got their names.

The chicken joke - is that the recipe with the popcorn?

Neil
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2013 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by neilm81301
Damn, another great one I never got to meet. Well, as they say, 'it's my own damn fault'.

I was down there in Mar., '04; bought beer at the Diaz tienda; sat out on the benches. A couple of the old timers came by and shared; I think he was one of them, by the photos. Never got their names.

The chicken joke - is that the recipe with the popcorn?

Neil

Neil,

It could very well have been Herman. We called that "office hours", usually from 2-4pm, having a beer or three on the patio at Diaz's. This was taken in 2006.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2013 at 10:22 PM
From Roger's Villa Bahia newsletter his sends out....

All friends and relatives of Herman Hill join in honoring the memory of Herman Hill, a long time resident of Bahia de los Angeles who passed away recently. The picture above is of Herman at age 20 on his Seaman’s Certificate of Service as an Engineman in the Merchant Marines. He later joined the US Navy in WWII, and served as a Boatswain’s Mate aboard ships in the Pacific, attaining the rank of Chief. Herman did not survive a rollover accident on the road to Bahia, returning from a trip to his beloved Las Vegas, and his even more beloved Keno girls. He knew more about getting gold out of the mountains of Central Baja than any man alive. He was one hell of a man. Rest in peace Herman.

herm.jpg - 44kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 08:32 PM

We just returned from a trip to Bahia. On our way down we stopped in San Quintin, where I made a visit to the Caminos Federales. They showed me the log book where Herman's accident was logged in. The report came in on Sunday, Dec. 8th, 11am. Km199+100m.

We located the accident site, but were not able to safely park to inspect the area.

After talking to Herman's neighbor and a few others in town, it appears that Herman left Bahia on Friday morning, Dec. 6th. He planned to attend a birthday party in Ensenada on Sat., then head up to the V.A. in San Diego on Sunday, then on to Vegas. He had reservations at his favorite El Cortez hotel already made.

Sadly, Herman's accident happened on Friday and was not reported until Sunday. We can only hope that he didn't suffer.

Km199 is the grade that sits just south of San Ignacito and before the dry lake bed (Km200).

Herman was heading north, so he had just passed the dry lake bed, and was a third of the way down the grade when he didn't make the curve.

From the amount of skid marks, this deadly curve has been a problem for others as well.

On our way back north on Jan. 1st, Dern was able to drive very slowly past Herman's curve. I held my camera out the window to try and capture what my eye couldn't see. On our next trip down we are going to try to drive off the road and up onto the mesa where we can park and hike in. Herman deserves a monument. We'll make it happen.

I am posting this info to clear up any questions as to where and when Herman's accident happened. I waited to post after contacting his family.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 6-1-2014 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 09:05 PM

Thanks Paulina, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of such a good friend. RIP
We will look for the future monument and pay our respect.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 09:22 PM

Thanks for this.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2014 at 10:16 AM

Thank you Paulina... Someday I think the highway section south of El Rosario to Punta Prieta will be known for the memorials to Hector and Herman.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.