Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: To all you Nomads out there
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Good stuff Roger!! But you'll never get in that kinda trouble if you just say "Happy Solstice"! Plus it's historically correct.

Yes Ken, I know what you mean about the ancient history of the Solstice/Christmas season due to climate, crops, and nature. A quick read of historical pre-events will show the same transition with almost all holiday customs today...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc, etc...all pagan festivals originally.... going to church on "Sunday" (named for a Norse god)

As for 'getting into trouble', I've never worried too much about that... or being much of a herd animal. :rolleyes: But thanks for the warning.

At any rate, saying a heartfelt Merry Christmas or Feliz Navidad is what happens in my world.....Baja or elsewhere. ;) Hah! I can just see the look on my grandchildren's faces if I greeted them with, "Merry Solstice, all!"

Well, I'm a firm believer in 'To each his own'...or can't we do that anymore? Sincerely, I hope America doesn't ever lose the 'Spirit of Christmas', for we will be less tolerant if so.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 02:51 PM

Merry Christmas all... and a prosperous 2014.

And to Castanza's father on Seinfeld lovers

"Happy Festivus" :biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Good stuff Roger!! But you'll never get in that kinda trouble if you just say "Happy Solstice"! Plus it's historically correct.

Yes Ken, I know what you mean about the ancient history of the Solstice/Christmas season due to climate, crops, and nature. A quick read of historical pre-events will show the same transition with almost all holiday customs today...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc, etc...all pagan festivals originally.

As for 'getting into trouble', I've never worried too much about that... or being much of a herd animal. :rolleyes: But thanks for the warning.

At any rate, saying a heartfelt Merry Christmas or Feliz Navidad is what happens in my world.....Baja or elsewhere. ;) Hah! I can just see the look on my grandchildren's faces if I greeted them with, "Merry Solstice, all!"

Well, I'm a firm believer in 'To each his own'...or can't we do that anymore? Sincerely, I hope America doesn't ever lose the 'Spirit of Christmas', for we will be less tolerant if so.

Right on Roger. For all my bloviating I really don't give a damn about how people greet each other at this time of year. It's totally invenereal to me. I say "Merry Christmas" as much as the next guy. I do try to say "Oh My Zeus" instead of OMG, however.

[Edited on 12-15-2013 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 03:06 PM

Amen to that. Check my other thread and see if you can answer the quiz?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 03:09 PM

I raise my bowl of ale to all good Nomads.

"May your yule log burn brightly and may Odin bless your table"

"SKOAL!"

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 03:11 PM

i/we say thank you jesus for offering this time to us that we might behave quite unlike civilized citizens of our community....i mean i find myself yelling your name constantly,(altho it's not spelled quite the same), and usually everyone around me agrees....but it does not feel that religious, really.....are we missing an integral part here?.....i think not!!!...i'll have another one of those, please!~

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 03:40 PM

Merry Yule to all!!!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
.....(sorry, couldn't find an atheist holiday)

"Winter Solstice". That's how it all started with the Pagans long before Christianity was invented :)

Ya mean to tell me that Paganism isn't a religion?

Bob Durrell
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 07:30 PM

Love this place ;) Happy holidays one and all, no matter how you say it :)

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2013 at 10:09 PM

As a friend told me a while back...

It's time to put the X back in Xmas!

All in good fun of course! Happy Solstice, Happy Holidaze, and Cheers to everyone!
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 12-16-2013 at 09:23 AM

I like that Paula. The X there in and make a nice bonfire from that tree.

Safe and happy holidays to everyone. Cheers!

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 12:31 AM

XMAS is the time that most everyone is a little nicer and even a little more helpful than the rest of the year. It is also the time hopefully that we think of others who we may have lost contact with for one reason or another along with remembering those we have lost along the way. So, hopefully all of us remember to tell our loved ones that we love them and give of ourselves in a more helpful way to others in one way or another. Hope you all have good health, good travels and good family fun with those you love. Take Care & Travel Safe--------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 09:45 AM
Not sure what religion INFIDEL's cats practice

..but they do celebrate Christmas

Bob Durrell
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 10:40 AM

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-17-2013 at 11:47 AM

INFIDEL is a word used by Christians to describe Muslims, and by Muslims to describe Christians. It is corrupted, even by Webster, to be a synonym for atheists. The holy war between two of the cults that worship the god of Abraham is the source of the concept of an infidel. There is no word in the atheist language for an infidel. People who deny the last 150 years of science are simply called ignorant, brainwashed, or clinically delusional among other things. INFIDEL has a heavy, dangerous, self righteous, and hateful ring to it that makes it very popular in some circles.

Check your Kur'an: 2:190-193, 217; 4:89; 8:38-40, 65: 9:36, 123-125.

And your Bible: Deut. 13:6, Deut. 13:13, Deut. 17:3, and 2nd.Chron. 15:13.

I recommend caution in its use. Mixing the use of a term that can be a capitol offense in both mythologies with cartoon kittens seems like an effort to soften the horror.

Serious cats don't wear funny Greek priest hats!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-17-2013 by vgabndo]

004.JPG - 21kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.