Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing poles on Volaris, Tijuana to La Paz and back
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 12:08 AM
Fishing poles on Volaris, Tijuana to La Paz and back

Flying to La Paz out of Tijuana on Sunday. I have tried to get information on the possibility of taking a Bazooka tube with some rods in it with no clear answer from Volaris. Any recommendations?
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 06:45 AM

I just went on Volaris to La Paz, down Dec 2 back on the 10th. Baggage rules changed in middle of trip. I think you can check the rods as a checked bag, and now the baggage rules are strange, it looked like to me only a carry on or a checked bag, and you pay for everything, 4 dollars for a beer, 7 for a mixed drink, and for each bag. Our TSA suggests you should take expensive reels in carry on, Volaris would not allow that as they had fishing line on them, had to go back to check in and check in the carry-on too! They are looking to make a bunch of money on the new bag charges and food and beverage charges, next time I will not fly them. I only used them as they get into La Paz at a decent hour and back to TJ by 3:30. Volaris from Cabo gets into TJ too late and very late at Cabo, makes for a drive in the dark to get to home or hotel. At least with US Airlines you can ask about baggage rules and get a straight answer. Volaris was fined a while back over their unknown baggage rules. Good luck and catch some fish!
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 10:29 AM

fish with an outfit that provides rods, check your reels.
Dragging a tube across the line is a pain.
Cooler with wheels.

It may be too windy to fish.

THE MINNOW must be lost!!!!!
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 10:34 AM

I will never fly Volaris again...
When they first started up they were a very good deal on airfare. It was worth the savings to fly from TJ to Cabo or LaPaz, which I did many times.

Their basic fares kept creeping closer and closer to US fares over the years. Last year we did a TJ-Cabo trip on them and the fare was still a savings, but not as great as before...

Welllll., everything when we departed for Cabo was a piece of cake, even our rod tubes taken in with happy to see you and all smiles and stuff. No "extras'. I was ready to pay of fee for the tube if necessary.

Where we got hosed was at the Cabo airport coming back.

They dropped the regular baggage weight to like only 35 pounds! They had a lady pre-weighing baggage and even the Mexican passengers were getting ticked. You should have seen the regular tourists coming back with their big bags (still under US airline weight OK) getting slapped with $150-$200 overweight fees.

There were many upset people that were coming back with trinkets, etc. They had no choice but to ante up with many protests

I showed 'em... I took out about 25 pounds of stinky dirty underwear and shirts and old fishing shoes and ceremoniously dumped them right next to weight-N-zi lady's table to "make weight"!!

Then came our rod tubes.... don't ask me why, but when the Mexican passenger in front of me was arguing with the poor Volaris ticket agent about her surcharge, the Ticket agent next to her waved me over and just tagged the tube and didn't charge us, maybe he could tell there was a near riot about to happen. BTW I would have paid the tube fee.

I felt sorry for the Volaris girl who was desinated to charge the fines... she wasn't liking the abuse she was getting either.

I have talked to others flying Volaris to other destinations and I think its sometimes about the destination. I think they see Cabo departures a ripe opportunity for revenue...

Biut that weight restriction thing for regular baggage is ridculous

(Rant off)

[Edited on 12-21-2013 by DawnPatrol]
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 10:44 AM

The 33lb weight allowance was changed to 55lbs about three weeks ago.

http://volaris.com/en/prepare-your-trip/travel-information/p...

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2013 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
The 33lb weight allowance was changed to 55lbs about three weeks ago.

thats good to hear.. I am sure someone discovered the lowered change was not being received well

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.