Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Night of the Radishes
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 12:06 AM
Night of the Radishes

Never heard of it before! Mexico is so interesting! :yes:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151817420574080&am...

http://www.aboutoaxaca.com/oaxaca/night-radishes.asp
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 10:19 AM

That is the most interesting thing I have learned lately. I like to carve radishes but never took it to that level, just the usual mice and sharks. Got some beuts from the garden in the fridge calling me...

Thanks Kgryfon!
Feliz Navidad
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 11:25 AM

Hola CP...

How about turnip-carving?
Just think what you could carve with this Baja beauty.

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 12:20 PM
Very popular in Switzerland

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hola CP...

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by Pompano]

Summer might be over, but there are plenty of fun winter activities to look forward to. The next big event in Zurich is Räbechilbi, literally "turnip party." In short, people carve designs into turnips, light them up like a lantern and have a parade. The turnip lanterns represent the warmth of home during the cold winter months. It's beautiful, special tradition that you should experience at least once during your time in Switzerland.

momstotszurich.blogspot.com/.../rabechilbi-turnip-lantern-festival.html‎

Räbechilbi - turnip lantern festival

The biggest Räbechilbi is in Richterswil, about a 20 min drive south of Zurich on the west side of the lake. The main event is a big parade through town with marching bands and floats decorated with turnip lanterns. The parade is usually the second Saturday in November, with the parade starting at 18:30pm. Check their website for details.

Bob Durrell
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Hola CP...

Oh my! One gorgeous root ya got there Pompano!

[Edited on 12-24-2013 by CP]
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 01:30 PM

Actually the 'festival' spanned about 6 nights when I was there. The party starts mildly around the zocalo and a couple of days before the 23rd they build plywood tables and white wash them right in place (day after Christmas when they remove them there's white wash outlines all over the zocalo). Then there’s a day of setting up the displays which people from all around Oaxaca grow in the rocky soil and that is why they take on shapes. One that I saw was the spitting image of Ronald Reagan’s face!
Two days before Christmas the party takes on a carnival atmosphere and on the other side of the Cathedral there is a block long set up of food stands with seating. They all serve a punch type hooch in clay cups that will cause you to sit down on the curb after only two! There is also small food dishes of clay and when you finish eating you take the cups and the plates over to a wall of the church and hurl them into the broken pile of clay...don’t know why but it was fun to break stuff when your drunk and full.
On Christmas Eve the local churches all have a truck parade that files through the crowded zocalo at different times with the church kids posing in a manger scene. The in between times are punctuated by individuals running through the throngs with firework pin wheels blazing away on a long pole overhead and sparks flying everywhere! Awesome time!
Only regret is that when you wake up Christmas morning the whole town in shut down as everyone is with their family...and you’re not.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2013 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Actually the 'festival' spanned about 6 nights when I was there. The party starts mildly around the zocalo and a couple of days before the 23rd they build plywood tables and white wash them right in place (day after Christmas when they remove them there's white wash outlines all over the zocalo). Then there’s a day of setting up the displays which people from all around Oaxaca grow in the rocky soil and that is why they take on shapes. One that I saw was the spitting image of Ronald Reagan’s face!
Two days before Christmas the party takes on a carnival atmosphere and on the other side of the Cathedral there is a block long set up of food stands with seating. They all serve a punch type hooch in clay cups that will cause you to sit down on the curb after only two! There is also small food dishes of clay and when you finish eating you take the cups and the plates over to a wall of the church and hurl them into the broken pile of clay...don’t know why but it was fun to break stuff when your drunk and full.
On Christmas Eve the local churches all have a truck parade that files through the crowded zocalo at different times with the church kids posing in a manger scene. The in between times are punctuated by individuals running through the throngs with firework pin wheels blazing away on a long pole overhead and sparks flying everywhere! Awesome time!
Only regret is that when you wake up Christmas morning the whole town in shut down as everyone is with their family...and you’re not.

What a great description! Sounds like a lot of fun ;)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.