BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja safety & crime circa 2013?
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
The Cops are the biggest problem.

My problems have all been cop related. Cops see California plates and $'s as one. It is not 1 bad cop for every 50 either. I'm guessing 1 in 5.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 02:57 PM

IMHO,

Aster, you listed a good deal of common sense precautions. That's all that's needed, really. Ask about specific areas on this forum. People who live there or visit often will give you solid gold information. Mexican families are also a great source of local information, restaurants, gas stations, hotels.

Caution is needed on the Pacific Coast as far south as El Rosario. Camping with 2-3 other camps within a hundred fifty feet distance is wise. The other place is near La Paz. It's a good size city, a transportation hub and well, maybe camping would be nicer just a bit south.

About cops. Folks, stop sometime would you, in Constituction, or Tecate, and watch gringos pass through. Stay a half hour and watch an intersection (stop signs are best), know the speed limit, then flat out sit there and watch. The cops tell me they get tired of it. This starts the first link in the predatory chain.

Exaggerate stops. LOOK FOR SPEED LIMIT SIGNS and obey them. Yeah the locals will swirl around you going faster, just like they do in the USA and I will be damned in traffic court if I ever heard a US judge let someone off when they wailed "I was just keeping up with traffic".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 03:51 PM
very true !!

I 2nd what monoloco states..well known and not a area to camp alone....many,,many problems with the influx of ag. guys from the mainland.......
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aster

-Don't drive at night due to borrachos and animals on the road
-Stuff left unsecured at a campsite or in-vehicle is liable to walk away (not sure if this applies to hotel rooms too?)
-Stop signs are yield signs in practice

Stop signs as yield signs, that is ONLY for Mex Nationals,
just be sure the driver behind you is prepared to
stop, drive the posted speed limit, sometimes it is posted absurdly
low, the idea of 4 wheel vehicles as targets for theft
has historically SOME validity. Been going to Mex since
the early 80's, I've never met anyone who was a victim
of crime other than an item taken from a campsite
at nite, but the occasional incident does happen. I wouldn't leave something of value in a US Hotel
room , ditto for Mex. The Cartel violence is
them doing their own in, not aimed at Joe Gringo Tourist

[Edited on 1-2-2014 by sancho]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2014 at 04:22 PM

Sometimes it is the tourist who just gets stupid when they cross into Mexico... Doing things they know they shouldn't do or wouldn't do back home. Spring Break activity comes to mind.

All cities have crime... I can't think of a day on local television when there isn't robberies and murders here in San Diego and L.A. part of California. Yet, when nothing or almost nothing ever happens to an American, all year long, in Mexico, we hear about how dangerous Mexico is and we are crazy to go there! LOL you are crazy to go to the mall in San Diego's Mission Valley (where a young couple was shot to death in the parking lot on Christmas Eve)!

If the daily crime in America doesn't keep you locked inside 24/7, then the crime against Americans in Baja will be almost like something seen in a Disney Movie! It is safer to be out of any city and enjoying the great outdoors with family and friends! I prefer being in Baja and I am not going to let the ******* media keep me from doing what I love!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 1-5-2014 at 06:26 PM

We have a place that is off the grid and remote. We have a constant problem with this cowboy that keeps breaking in and now has caused some real damage beside taking things. We have beefed up security and now have someone there at all times. He is known in the area for his antics. We are currently offering a reward for the return of our stuff and also for turning him in. By the way his name is Walter Martinez, tall slim, speaks good English and is seen around Maneadero.

No problems with the authorities. It helps to speak the language when dealing with the police but for the most part they try to help. Also Keep your money in your boot and always have a spare tire.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 09:03 AM
Unlike the US our only option may be a dog

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1

. Do not let your guard down. Get or bring a dog that barks.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/w8Sbf_piIQQ?feature=player_deta...

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.