Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Pack w/ 2 Cameras lost....Loreto
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:43 AM

I left a camera in a taxi in SantaRosalia - it was in the back seat and the driver, whom I saw about 3 hours later, says he never saw it.

Only 3 pics in it but it is a bad feeling, nonetheless.

I hope it does show up!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 08:41 AM

Well, the way I am looking at the situation is that, as an avid photographer, sometimes the urge to "stop and take some pics" changes a journey in many ways.

My GoPro helmet cam is to blame :biggrin: : I had not used it until that day and my focus was on getting it angled and working properly...so my on/off bike ritual was changed and I was thinking about the GoPro and not the usual routine...so my video starts off with me putting my helmet on, turning around, and getting a great shot of my pack on the bike seat.

I headed west along the San Javier road and up to the turn-off to Comondu...confirmed with folks shoveling gravel I was on the right road, and headed onto the rough road (not bad for next 20 minutes). I then wanted to stop and take a few pics and that is when I realized my pack was back where I had stopped just east of Del Borracho.

So I have some also great vid of me racing back to the scene of the CRS event...:biggrin:

Now, I still have the GoPro which will take pics as well as video....now I only need to worry about battery time management.

So.....I can travel more freely without debating whether or not I stop as often to snap a pic.

The issue really is how I look at the loss....things can always be worse. :light:

Thanks for the sympathy, advice, and empathy Nomads...:saint:

Today I am off to Agua Verde.....road report later.

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:36 AM

I feel your pain

I was in Puerto Vallarta and set down by camera bag at the hotel check in counter. The bag had my Nikon D3 and all of my glass including a 70-200 2.8 and about 4 other fast lenses.

We got to our room and I was going to grab a camera and take a few shots and then I had a cold flash run through my body when I didn't see my bag.

About then I realized that it was left at the front counter. As I ran out the door to grab it, a young bell hop was about to knock on the door to ask me if I had left this at the front desk. He was holding about $15k worth of camera gear.

A propina and a breath of calm, and then the vacation began.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
wow! if the camera has been found, is that a record for nomad problem solving? just 2 hours from posting to locating?
well done!!

No such luck, but a nice thought :yes:

Sorry to read it's still missing. I thought the email was good news, misunderstood.

It's a terrible feeling to first realize valuables are missing, then as you say, you begin to realize what's really valuable/important as you continue with your travels.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 11:19 AM

I definitely can feel your sense of loss, Ged. So sorry and sure hope those cameras show up. I'm praying hard that they do.

I once left a favorite AE-1 Canon on a tripod next to a rest area picnic table on I-40 in Arizona. I guess we made a rather hurried departure. I drove my pickup camper 20 miles east before noticing I had left it behind...along with my Labrador, Gypsy!

All that time I had assumed both were in the camper with my Co-pilot. Nope. I raced back to the rest area...and found both the camera and my 'poor abandoned dog' sitting there. I'll never forget the look on Gyspy's face. I was a little sheepish for a long time. My dog, being truly man's best friend, forgave me.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:04 PM

Sorry to hear about the camera loss Ged.....glad that you haven't lost any memories....I'd still like to hear your road and ride reports.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:28 PM

So sorry Ged. That stinks! Since it only happened yesterday, I am holding onto hope that they are returned to you!! Good luck! By the way, great attitude about the entire thing! Glad it isn't ruining your entire vacations.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:27 PM

So sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I spent 10 days in the Pantnal in Brazil. I had over 450 images that I took there. At our next stop, we went to a small grocery store to pick up some food, threw my camera into one of the plastic grocery bags, hopped on the bus back to the hotel. After arriving at the hotel, I went to grab my camera. It wasn't there as there was a good size hole in the bag where it probably fell out. It was careless as we were in a hurry to catch the bus!

We had our address sticker on the camera, but we never saw it again!

By the way, I would highly recommend a visit there, as there is so much wildlife ! It's beautiful and we have fantastic memories even without the images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantanal

[Edited on 1-11-2014 by Bob H]

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:40 PM

While NOTHING can replace the photos lost, and losing pictures is VERY painful, cameras can be replaced.

With that said, I just wanted to mention that personal property insurance policies for camera equipment is not very expensive and it covers theft, (no police report required), dropping a camera or lens, sending the equipment out for a swim, and just plain losing something.

The only thing to watch is that the insurance company likes to adjust the value of the equipment upward each year in the name of inflation, and most cameras and equipment go down in value.

motoged, I am really sorry this happened to you --- not a good thing.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:42 PM

Diana,
My homeowners policy will cover my loss, but the deductible and increased rates due to a claim aren't worth the loss (about $650)...and as I have said, I am moving forward....and still have the Go Pro helmet cam that takes HD video and pics....so I can still record images.

I rode to Agua Verde today and have a great vid of the road in....so all is not lost.

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions, empathy, sympathy, and well-wishes....my trip continues to be about the people and places.....not the "things".

I figure it is the way the gods are telling me I have too much stuff:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.