Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Consumer friendly, foreign transactive ATM banks
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 07:10 AM
Consumer friendly, foreign transactive ATM banks

I found this informative article on a site called nerdwallet.com. It is an overview of banks that dont charge (or have minimal) intl transaction fees and/or a low ATM fee. The site appears to be actively managed and is kept current.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-tr...

[Edited on 1-18-2014 by Hook]
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 08:34 AM

Hook......That is an informative article.

Not only does Charles Schwab charge no foreign transaction fee for withdrawals with their debit card, they also rebate monthly all fees charged by foreign banks for withdrawals on CS debit cards.
AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:02 AM

I love my Charles Schwab account; they've refunded me hundreds of dollars over the past couple years in ATM fees. As backup I also carry an ATM card from my local credit union that doesn't charge any fees.

In case the cards are stolen or skimmed I try to keep only $500 or so at a time in the accounts, and have them linked with an online only bank from which I push money as needed. My wife has an identical and separate setup. It's a good system for us- free, safe and redundant.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyP
I love my Charles Schwab account; they've refunded me hundreds of dollars over the past couple years in ATM fees. As backup I also carry an ATM card from my local credit union that doesn't charge any fees.

Fidelity does the same thing with their cash management debit card. So, all of you Fidelity account holders can have the same thing.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 11:26 AM

I heard that wells fargo does not charge for taking out cash at Mexican ATMs. Can anyone confirm?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 11:49 AM

Sorry Blanca, I've been a Wells customer for 14 years and they sock me five dollars "Non Wells Fargo ATM Fee" without fail. Also have to wait for POS purchases three days for the foreign POS purchase fee to show up online.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 12:13 PM

GEEZ! Here we go again!

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 01:37 PM

Yeah, we talk about this about as often as you pimp pizza. :lol: Which is pretty often, lately.

But this is a little more important to most. Money is like that.

Just let us know, chuckie, if we ain't growin' or showin' our "stones" fast enough for you in this post............after all, it's ALL about the stones, right?

Not the pesos, not the pizza but the piedras, eh? :rolleyes:

B-u-t-t out if ya ain't got anything to add in this post. :smug:

You guys really grounded by the wind over there or something? Go fishing, fer chrissakes ..........
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2014 at 02:18 PM

Fidelity says they charge a 1% transaction fee. It does not show up on my account. Maybe they make it on the exchange rate. I do see the atm fees refunded.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 02:02 AM

Check out Chase Bank for Personal Banker accounts. Better than the Brokerage institutions
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by treuboff
Check out Chase Bank for Personal Banker accounts. Better than the Brokerage institutions

I cant find an account called that on their website. I used their search engine. Can you provide a link?

Chase has CREDIT CARDS with no intl transaction fee but I assume an ATM withdrawal would be treated as a cash advance; very expensive.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 09:21 PM

Special ATM cards you use will not even show the charge. I will find the link but i never asked if there is one. So far it has been word of mouth. I asked them if they advertised their program and they said it was but i never heard of this. It was reserved for millionaires but they figured for a person who invested 25 mil. they could find 50 that had 500,000 would work just as well. In my area they did some demographics and found the personal wealth justified bringing the program here. My oldest works for them and will come under our account umbrella as all of our kids. It all adds up to reach the goal but we don.t need them too. They all will get the same benefits as well. We will get better perks than he can get being an employee.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 09:26 PM

Chase Private Client - Credit
www.chase.com/online/private_client/credit-card.htm Cached
Your dedicated Chase Private Client team is ready to help. Find a Chase Private Client office by entering your Zip code below.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I've been doing a bit of research on this and I believe I am going to open accounts with Charles Schwab and Capitol One online banks.
I have Citibank and they take a pretty nice chunk when I transfer online to Banamex.
Capitol one, I've been told, gives you that day's exchange rate.

Recently learned that the Citibank perks only kick in at the Citigold level (at least $50,000 in combined accounts)- no fees for international ATM's, no online transfer fees to Banamex etc.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 08:18 AM

Check out First Republic

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Oddly enough, having 9 year old twins, I don't have that much in the bank!
I could use a mysterious long lost rich relative's will to be informed of right about now!
:coolup:

Stopped holding my breath for that miracle long ago-we're on our own señor!
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 01:36 PM
Gotta Frog In Your Pocket?

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
GEEZ! Here we go again!

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 05:14 PM

You can transfer 90% of 401 k and put into banks financial services qualifies you. It does not hurt to inquire.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by treuboff
You can transfer 90% of 401 k and put into banks financial services qualifies you. It does not hurt to inquire.

Huh???

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.