BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Short liters in Tijuana... sigh...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:01 AM

and let me just say that I'm OFF TOPIC because I'm talking about stations in the USA, not Mexico. OK, I'll shut up now. ;)
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Profit margins are tiny for Pemex franchise owners. They aren't allowed to offer on site mechanical services or tire repairs like U.S. service stations. They can't even sell their gasoline at local market rates or a centavo cheaper than the Pemex across the street to bring in more business. It's as if the government with its rules and regulations forces franchise owners to come up with 'creative ways' to stay in business (at the expense of customers). The franchise owners can't even expand or modernize the restrooms without years of plans, permits, restrictions. Booo Big Government! [/quo

Then it seem that a franchise owner knows all these restrictions from the get go.. so does he open his franchise with plans to do as much cheating as possible
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:14 AM

Makes you wonder? Some have integrity like Nomad's own 'BajaCactus' in El Rosario. There, the motel and the Pemex station support each other to keep it all honest. Some Pemex stations now have mini-markets next to the station as a method of staying in business without cheating.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 11:53 AM
There Should Be an Inspection Sticker on the Pumps

If it is out-of-date, you may have a problem.

Also, the gasolineros are supposed to call your attention and show you that they have zeroed out the pump before they start filling your tank.

Hubby says that we have had no problems at all with the big Pemex on the toll road in Rosarito near the toll gate, and also, the Pemex in Punta Piedras, about twenty miles south. They get inspected frequently because of the commercial traffic.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:14 PM

Been living in GN since 2007, the first advice i got from the locals about refueling: DONT.

The last gasolinera, near the canal an Banamex has very old rusty tanks.

The one on the curve doesnt serve full liters.

The new one across Caracoles cheats too. Theres a local joke about how even the owners go to Jesus María or Vizcaíno to fuel their vehicles.

The one in the paralell its on a off, when its open you wont see any locals there.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:22 PM

Don't kid yourself about PROFECO.

"Associations" of gasolineros have in the past "gotten to" PROFECO employees and bribed them to thoroughly hassle owners of stations that do not ascribe to setting the dispensers to 96% delivered. What is needed is federal legislation that demands a mandatory 2-year prison sentence for a PROFECO employee convicted of accepting a bribe to influence decisions regarding dispenser testing and verification.

-Fat Chance

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:33 PM

Thanks Archie- you've confirmed what I first observed 20 years ago: GN has exceptionally dishonest Pemex stations. I learned this after I had been living in ensenada for 2 or 3 years, and grew to trust Pemex and adjust to their service (I use pump "your own" in US).

This went fine until, on way to La Paz, I stopped in GN, started talking with attendant as he pumped...and pumped...and charged me for nearly 18 gallons for a car that had a 14 gallon tank. I protested, to no avail. My more fluent spanish speaking travel companion came back from restroom and protested, but he had zero success as well.
By that time the attendant had zeroed out the pump for the next customer.

It was more the shock of the dishonesty than the few dollars that hurt. And this was back when there were many fewer stations and they often ran dry during heavy holiday travel periods.

First things I bought at next opportunity: a locking gas cap and a 5 gallon gas can. And now I use the locking cap each time and ensure the pumps are at zero before they start filling the tank. Can't help if they have changed the settings, but ensures they zero out before filling.

I fill the can first time I stop for gas in MX during long trips, and if it's not needed, add it back to tank at final filling before heading home.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachm...

[Edited on 1-25-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:43 PM

The only Pemex that I purchase gas at in GN is the one at the other end of town...closer to the canal. It is a one pump station, but at least I know they are honest.

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
I loathe buying gas in GN. I have only been shortchanged at stations there, in all my travels thru Baja. Other places have been generally honest.

This trip it was not the liters, it was the exchange rate: when my debit card was rejected (twice) and I had to pay in US$, their exchange was 11:1 vs. 12.6 at Cactus in El Rosario a few days later. The Internet cafe across the street from the station (I used their wifi) was also 12:1

Unfortunately, I didn't think to walk into the adjacent ATM in the same parking lot, before buying gas, so I would have had pesos at closer to 13:1. For some reason, the debit card worked at the ATM a few minutes after being refused at the pump...shortly followed by a call from the card security office, verifying it was me using it. Sigh...

I try to believe this all evens out in the grand scheme of things, but from now on I will get gas at the 28th parallel Pemex, not in GN.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 12:51 PM

Somebody needs to do a video setup sting job and record this in Guerrero Negro.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 01:01 PM

I may be wrong, but I think Bob and Susan did that a couple of years ago.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 01:04 PM
Yep !!

One of many,,many reasons I tell folks to bypass GN and get gas at JM
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
I may be wrong, but I think Bob and Susan did that a couple of years ago.

Yep. In Mulege, I believe. No shortage whatsoever.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-25-2014 at 03:56 PM

Ya remember my propane only truck with the flatbed? The one with a gas filler tube a foot long that was wide open on the other end? My stop at the then only gasolinera in Sta Rosalia? Went to the bathroom, came back found a hose stuck in the filler and an attendant who was demanding 350 some odd pesos.

Called over a Green Angel who was parked by the office. I asked him to ask the attendant. He did. Then I told the Green Angel to look under the truck. He slid out howling with glee, face beet red, tears streaming down his cheeks. The attendant then did the same, he slid back out then ran toward town. Wotta Hoot. The station owner came out of his office. I told him I would sell him a .38 because it robbed people faster. He told me to never come back. I yelled:"You Fool! This is an LPG truck!" The Angeles Verdes were damned near rolling on the ground. Other customers were grinning from ear to ear. I feel sorry for the Mexicans. They don't deserve this.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert

When we were in the states last week I noticed that one of my tires was low so I pulled up to the air/ water dispenser at a union 76 and you had to put 75 cents in the slot to get air. So I went across the street to the Chevron and their machine cost $1 for air. At least the air and water are still free in Baja.

If that was in California, they are required to give it to you free (both air and water) if you purchase gas—ANY amount of gas. You just have to go in and ask them to turn it on. Sometimes you'll get the eye roll, but they always do it.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.