Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Lo Bueno, Lo Malo y Lo Feo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:03 AM

Wonderful news Ged... the sun rose and it was good!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:15 AM

That's great. I get very attached to my equipment and would be very distressed if this happened. I have learned to never trust and leave my stuff vulnerable because it's always when you're least expecting it that things go missing. Interestingly, I had nothing stolen on my whole Baja trip last month, and then we went camping up to Jalama Beach, California, near Point Conception, and I had my bicycle pump stolen. I locked the bike to a tree but some prowlers were in the campsite overnight stealing ice chests of beer. The sites are tight and the wind was howling, so they went to my bike and unzipped a pocket and took the pump. Luckily they didn't take the Gopro camera bolted to the front rack. I guess they didn't know how to open the housing.

This is the anti-theft measure I took when I left the rental car in the desert. Just make sure not to lose the key to the bike lock!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark_BC
This is the anti-theft measure I took when I left the rental car in the desert. Just make sure not to lose the key to the bike lock!

that looks like it makes the seat all messy. i find it easier to use the "club" AND open hood and remove an ignition wire. i wonder how easy it would be to buy a "boot?"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 11:03 AM

that is truly GREAT news!:coolup: now tell us the thought of a new Duke in the garage never crossed your mind?:lol:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:24 PM

Well,
The bike was returned and the reward of $15,000 pesos was paid. The bike was in good shape and did not seem to have been thrashed. I believe that it's recovery was not a result of me putting up 5 posters re:reward, but was due to Kiki (motel owner)contacting his network. It seems that someone across the street from the bakery where the bike was stolen saw the bike being taken (wheeled away). As it is, that place is the home/shop of a motorcycle/quad repair shop....

The owner of the shop (Jaime) is the man who returned the bike and received the reward. It may have been one of his kids who witnessed the theft. I may learn more details of that process from Kiki when I talk with him later....but they are less important than the fact I have the bike back.

Lessons learned:
1) Lock bike when leaving it (cable lock or padlock on brake rotor);
2) Pursue the matter and make effort to retrieve stolen property;
3) Accept the help of others when needed;
4) And.....as I stopped for a donut at the bakery ....I should cut down my carb intake.

I am overjoyed and in almost as much shock now as when it was taken. What a roller-coaster ride of emotion and scurrying thoughts. It was returned at 10:30 last night.

I will leave Baja Thursday and be home about Monday...

Whew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Don't believe everything you think....
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:43 PM

Whoaaaaa............very stoked for you!!
Time for a cerveza, and get one for yourself too!!!
CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 06:45 PM
congratulations!

so happy to hear this news. Glad your friends were able to help.

Still curious about a lo jack type of device... just found Information about this one

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2014 at 08:01 PM

WOW! I can't believe it! I am SO happy you got it back Ged!!! I sure would like to know all the details, but hell, get out of town and drive safe. I can't wait for the complete trip report.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 08:34 AM

A sincere BIG THANK YOU to all nomads who expressed their caring and well-wishing and prayers. This turn of events has been quite the whirlwind...

I see the theft as a theft issue, not a San Felipe issue.

And I see Kiki as an angel....the reward sweetened the pot for the chain of witness(s) and thieves....and Kiki's knowledge of his community made that work VERY quickly.

When I spoke with Kiki this morning he said that the result was VERY lucky...as last year when a friend has his bike stolen here, after a while they knew who had it, but one person in the chain was afraid to provide the last link for fear of repercussions.

Glad that goodness has prevailed.

I will take my baby for a ride to Coco's today and leave for home tomorrow.

It will take a bit before I write a ride report, but I will....:coolup:

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 09:09 AM

Glad to here that Ged. Perseverance pays. Have a safe trip back home.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 10:39 AM

Wow Ged,

I've been away from this board for several days and it looks like they were very busy days for you. I'll be heading south with another biker in 3 weeks so it's very bad news to hear about moto thieves anywhere in Baja. Glad to hear you got it back but sorry to hear the price was high. I'm not clear about your donut stop and how the bike was wheeled away, please tell the detailed story when you get the time.

It's a long drive to Canukistan, travel safely.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 10:39 AM
Support Your Local Burglar

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
My sincere sympathies, Ged. Being robbed also robs some of your compassion for your fellow man, no matter where it happens.

I can say from personal experience that rewards do indeed work. My home was burglarized just once.... a long time ago when I had to fly north for a funeral. Home invasion hurts, and I don't like being a victim, so I offered a big reward for the capture and imprisonment of the criminal. Word spread via my reward posters, plus mi amigos in Coyote and Mulege helped to spread the word, locals and foreigners alike. He was soon captured and all of the stolen items were returned. Oddly, this character turned out to be a US citizen...bumming around Baja and robbing homes. Many residents thanked me for doing what they believed was a deterrent to crime. I hope the same happens in your case.

Roger, after Julio when I was able to return to San Nicolas to pick up the pieces of those 15 years, the only theft I could prove was by a gringo of a similar description. Your thief wasn't a tall thin, almost certainly undocumented, alcoholic whose name is both a proper noun and an adjective, was he? The "dick" I'm talking about still lurks in the area.

My hope for San Filipe is that while Ged didn't ask questions, SOMEONE who didn't make that promise is asking questions and and there is the possibility that someone will get burned at the stake for their lifestyle.

After Julio,when I arrived, my Mexican neighbors came to me to ask if they could BUY the things that hadn't been stolen. They knew what was there and hadn't touched it literally for months. The loss of personal treasures without much monetary value still breaks my heart.:fire:

Ged, I'm happy for you brother!

[Edited on 1-28-2014 by vgabndo]

Firstly, glad you got the bike back, Ged. And sorry you had to resort to a reward. But, as you know, getting back on the bike and on with life is the main thing.

To answer vgabndo's question. Perry, your burglar is a different crook than mine. Here's a photo that I took of him standing in a police impound area. He's shorter and stockier than what you describe...plus he is no longer in the area. Like Ged, I paid a large reward and saw him brought to justice with the return of my stolen items. (One of which turned up in the home of a prominent and embarrassed citizen in a larger Baja Sur town, but that's another story and hilarious to boot.)

Baja justice is hard on the perp ...and even the victim. This fellow was very roughly handled and sent to prison, and Mexican prisons are no country clubs like a lot of ours up north. The ones in Mexico can actually punish you for your crimes. Anyway, the prisoner appealed to me for humanitarian reasons and I was compelled to help deport the crook back to the US or he was not going to make it very long in the cereso. You can replace stuff, but not a life. It all worked out for the best, though. I'm sure when they dropped him at that border gate he got down and kissed the ground. Not the guy you described...sorry, and I'm sure we won't see my crook in Mexico again. Not after a few months in that lockup.

I've blocked out identification...because I think this person may have suffered enough, and I have no need to beat a dead horse. But…I’m thinking of writing an account on the entire event….it was a real Baja Hoot with all the usual wide cast of characters. I still laugh when I recall having to buy film for the investigator’s camera to take photos of footprints, and then paying for the film developing…..riding with some feds to identify some goods at a mansion...spotting my tv in a certain officials office...a vhf in another across the hall...classic Baja!! Hoo Boy! Got to be sure I don’t singe any feathers, though. I’d have to check with various cops, federales, lawyers, a judge, a certain politician who knowingly bought stolen goods…ah well, best forget about it....for now. :rolleyes:

Sometimes when back Up North, a friend will ask..."Whatever do you find to do down there? ....And why are you grinning?"

"Welcome to Baja ...back in the day anyway."

p.s. Ged, sorry about this little hijack, but thought you would appreciate hearing my story. Laughing always helps..

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 11:30 AM

Great news Ged, all is well that ends well.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2014 at 04:09 PM

amazing outcome! I told ya !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 12:07 AM

You guys are great !!! :saint::biggrin:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Well,
The bike was returned and the reward of $15,000 pesos was paid. The bike was in good shape and did not seem to have been thrashed. I believe that it's recovery was not a result of me putting up 5 posters re:reward, but was due to Kiki (motel owner)contacting his network. It seems that someone across the street from the bakery where the bike was stolen saw the bike being taken (wheeled away). As it is, that place is the home/shop of a motorcycle/quad repair shop....

The owner of the shop (Jaime) is the man who returned the bike and received the reward. It may have been one of his kids who witnessed the theft. I may learn more details of that process from Kiki when I talk with him later....but they are less important than the fact I have the bike back.

Lessons learned:
1) Lock bike when leaving it (cable lock or padlock on brake rotor);
2) Pursue the matter and make effort to retrieve stolen property;
3) Accept the help of others when needed;
4) And.....as I stopped for a donut at the bakery ....I should cut down my carb intake.

I am overjoyed and in almost as much shock now as when it was taken. What a roller-coaster ride of emotion and scurrying thoughts. It was returned at 10:30 last night.

I will leave Baja Thursday and be home about Monday...

Whew !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
With a good story to tell the villagers in Kamloops.

Bob Durrell
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2014 at 09:53 AM

Karma Ged.
So glad to hear the happy news!!
Sweetwater, maybe a trip to the west coast while you are here? Planning a trip about the sametime you will be here. Boogies and motos. U2u later

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.