Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tecate
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:19 AM
Tecate

Yesterday Feb.5 we made a round trip thru Tecate.
We arrived at the Border at 9am. uneventful crossing about 20 min. There was a convoy of Canadian R.V.s heading north as usual they were going through secondary, so that wasn't a worry for us.
After we crossed there was a Convoy of class c r.v.s forming on the U S side headed south, The units were all alike and apparently rented from same company,there was around 20 of them and as we traveled 94 w. we met even more of them.
on the return trip headed south the were checking everyone headed south on the Mexican side no biggie.

While traveling hwy.3 there was very heavy truck traffic both ways . I hope they get the toll rd. open sooner than later. Those trucks will ruin that road. just west of SAN ANTOIN De LAS MINAS on the hill they were in the process of cleaning up a bad wreck.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:26 AM

Thanks for the update. I've been considering crossing NB on a weekday morning at Tecate, and wondered what the traffic was like. I've been told it's not bad after the early-morning worker rush.

It is definitely the SB crossing of choice for RVs. Many caravans pass through there as part of their organized tours. (Eg, Vagabundos)

Good points re impacts on highway 3. If and when the coast toll highway is rebuilt, I wonder if they will still divert trucks inland to preserve the road.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:27 AM

I agree, all the truckers are now using Hwy 3
Cam up on it last week and there were lots and lots of trucks.
At least the saving grace was that in most areas of the much improved roadway there is plenty wide shoulder to move over and let people pass, which they all seemed to be very aware of when we came up on them....
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info - headed down to GN Monday morning and planned on going through Tecate. I guess it won't be the carefree drive I was anticipating.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55steve
Thanks for the info - headed down to GN Monday morning and planned on going through Tecate. I guess it won't be the carefree drive I was anticipating.

The truck traffic although very heavy was moving very well with the exceptions of one or two trucks. The trucks do make for less than carefree driving. and this is coming from a old trucker.:lol::lol::lol:
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 11:07 AM

I crossed north at Tecate Tues at 6pm 2 cars ahead of me. The ready line wait at Otay was 50 minutes. I recon that it was push to shove for crossing time but much more enjoyable. Truck traffic was there but not a a problem.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2014 at 11:24 AM

I did the Tecate cross a week or so ago. 1st time in over 10 years and I mostly enjoyed the drive to Tecate but not so much getting to the border line. Whithout following some one I would have gotten lost for sure. For me, I think I'll just spend the time in the TJ line. The crossing was unbelievably fast at Tacate. Only two cars in front of us. We stayed overnight in Colinet on the hill. Not too impressed though. Parking is below the rooms and no real security during the night. The manager is really nice and would like to help but since there are basically no customers the menu is limited. The rooms are very nice and the bed was great so for $550 it worked out well. Got up early and didn't have to drive through the San Quitin bus traffic which was a real bonus.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.