Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Teaching positions in Baja in the past
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:14 PM
Teaching positions in Baja in the past

I went to an all day primary and secondary school workshop in Vizcaino, it was very interesting and I finally, after 2 years, got some excellent English books for the class. Please don't ask me to tell you about the old ones, it just makes me mad.

BUT,

the amazing fact I learned is that before this new reforma came about that made all the Mexican teachers get their knickers in a twist, every teacher in every public school "owned" his or her position and could will it, literally, to whomever they wanted. Can you believe that? I have to say that that is a first I had ever heard of this.

I was also told that teachers retirements are now a savings account where the gvt will deposit double the amount teachers set aside for retirement.

I learn something every day!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 08:11 PM

This is the case not only in Baja, but throughout Mexico. I was amazed to learn this. I was talking this past Sunday to my Son-in-law who is from Mexico City and he told me that the teachers in Mexico are up in arms because Mexico wants teachers to take a test to prove that they are qualified to hold their positions! He told me that teacher positions can be bought, sold, willed, given to someone! Wow!

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 08:21 PM

Teachers have long held Mexico back. Sad.

What ever happened to Gordillo?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 11:59 PM

Is it really so much different than in the USA where paying union dues guarantees you a job, no matter how many kids fail to learn? There are really awesome teachers out there too, and they deserve the highest pay, not always the ones with seniority.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Is it really so much different than in the USA

Yes, David, it is very much different.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 12:27 AM

Well hi there amigo... where you been? I have missed those great pastrami sandwiches for the Nueva York Deli!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 10:35 AM

See, I never knew it could be bought hahahahaha Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 03:21 PM

Since I'm getting ready to retire, I wish I could sell my position. A little extra cash for Baja tripping would be nice.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 03:32 PM

Thats why anybody with two pesos to rub together would never put their kids in public school. You can go thru the public school system and never learn to read or write. The teachers give everyone passing grades so they get a better rating. Its as corrupt as anything in Mexico maybe more.

[Edited on 2-13-2014 by chippy]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 04:30 PM

Chippy is right. When I taught at the high school a couple years ago, I tried to flunk a girl whose dad was apparently influential and was gently told to change the grade.

So, I did. But those students (she wasn't the only one), had to work so hard at a ridiculously long ridiculously boring task in order to pass that I saw the girl wrote on facebook that she would never not study for the test again.

Sawwwweeeeet revenge. (((:

Come visit La Bocana

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-12-2014 at 04:32 PM

it's a huge problem. countries with a well educated populace succeed. countries with poorly educated people do not succeed.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 2-14-2014 at 02:12 PM

I get to spend a good amount of time with school officials in Mulege a couple times a year. They complain a lot about the quality of education for their kids.

I've seen more than one family move to get their kids a better education. I guess there are private schools in larger towns, but I'm told by expat teachers who worked in one elite school (either La Paz or Cabo) that the elitist attitude of parents and students was deplorable. Kids tattled on teachers that wanted to instill study discipline, which teachers were then threatened w/their jobs if they didn't make the kids 'Happy.' Its nice that kids be happy. Better if they get educated. IMHO.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.