BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Boy, do I miss Amigos....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

eureka.gif posted on 4-8-2014 at 06:28 PM

Even Paulina was there...

Dana Point (DP) Dave and Whistler (Glenn) seated while David K listens in for that secret fishing spot! Paulina is just inside the doorway.

Paulina, I think your El Rosario running the barricade story was re-posted on Nomad?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 06:45 PM

I thought about this recently as well. I think back in the day, information wasn't as readily available and thus Amigos was the place to share info. I made more detailed notes about my trips, road and fishing conditions, and anything else of note. I appreciated any info I could get and always felt obligated to share the favor.

Today, people in Baja are more connected, information is readily available, and like it or not people are more polarized thanks to tailor made media outlets that only serve certain sectors.

I just got back from Baja and thought about posting a trip report but figured most of the info has already been posted....especially the new road section they are building on the Tecate highway, the long discussion I had with the owner of Hotel La Villa de San Quintin, watching my kids pet the whales, or even monitoring the construction near Udo's casa.

I think technology has changed the audience of Baja Nomads and as such it's unfair to compare it to Amigos. But it's fun to wander down memory lane some times....I do appreciate all of the friendships I've made through the years.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
I thought about this recently as well. I think back in the day, information wasn't as readily available and thus Amigos was the place to share info. I made more detailed notes about my trips, road and fishing conditions, and anything else of note. I appreciated any info I could get and always felt obligated to share the favor.

Today, people in Baja are more connected, information is readily available, and like it or not people are more polarized thanks to tailor made media outlets that only serve certain sectors.

I just got back from Baja and thought about posting a trip report but figured most of the info has already been posted....especially the new road section they are building on the Tecate highway, the long discussion I had with the owner of Hotel La Villa de San Quintin, watching my kids pet the whales, or even monitoring the construction near Udo's casa.

I think technology has changed the audience of Baja Nomads and as such it's unfair to compare it to Amigos. But it's fun to wander down memory lane some times....I do appreciate all of the friendships I've made through the years.

after all that, POST A TRIP REPORT, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE!!!!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 08:30 PM

Speaking of fishing and trip reports, I am missing the old handwritten scripts you used to find laying around at sportfishing lodges like Rancho Buena Vista, The Avalon Club, San Carlos Sportfishing Lodge, and the like. Most were reports of so many marlin, dorado, sails and what pound test, water temps, duration of fight, and enjoyments of the day.

One classic at Buena Vista went like this....

"Snow getting deeper, wolves drawing closer..

Fear navigator drinks."

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 08:38 PM

All right, all right, you can never go home again and all that. I think Pompano and BajaBoy have hit it - everyone has just quit posting results of their fishing unless something unusual has happened. It feels a little stupid to say we went fishing and got some fish.

I'm as guilty, if that word is appropriate, as anyone else. But the result is that Redhilltown had to actually ask if the sierra had shown up in a place that has a dozen boats at least on any given day - and I don't think he actually got a real-time answer.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 08:40 PM
Until Bajaboy posts a new trip report...

... you can enjoy his photos from his July 2001 trip report on this web page we made at VivaBaja.com. It includes Bahia San Rafael, Bahia de los Angeles, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, a downpour near El Arco (I think)... HERE: http://www.vivabaja.com/zac_pics/index.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy

The geocities link does not work

The article is from 1997! That link hasn't worked in probably more than a decade I'd imagine.

They later moved the site to:
http://www.bajanet.com

Another link that hasn't worked for about a decade. I watched the activity on that domain after it was abandoned. It never dropped back into the domain pool... it was held by the domain registrar for a while, and looks like it was sold by them privately at some point.

Here ya go:

http://q87.us/1hAK1NK

http://q87.us/1ehLwpN

[Edited on 4-9-2014 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2014 at 10:18 PM

I agree that the amigos fish reports were valuable and something to look forward to. But when they closed their site I thought Kira's Mexfish reports filled in really well. It was after that closed down that things really went south.

The trouble with the fish reports on nomads is that they are posted to promote an area. They are used to attract fishermen's dollars. So you are never certain how good it will be once you arrive. Yes, I've experienced a lifetime of 'you should have been there yesterday' quotes after going to a hot place. But that's usually because conditions change and fish move.

Amigos and Mexfish had reports from guys returning and just wanting to tell you how they did. To me they were far more trustful.

Have you noticed that the 'reports' from sources on this board never include anything stating that fishing was not so good, or just average? It's always, woo hoo, yellowtail are biting. Yet those are really exceptional times of the year.

So my criticism would be that a little bit of more truthful reporting would be appreciated. By dishonest, I mean, deception in the form of omission.

---------

Oh and the other thing great about the old reports is that they included fishing experiences off the beaten track, and not, for example, what the guides at Loreto brought in. I miss those kind of reports especially.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 07:18 PM

I used to post lots of stuff on the different sites. And I still do from time to time. And I used to ask lots of questions about fishing in Baja. What I've learned (for me personally) is I don't want anyone else to know about fishing in Baja. I want it to myself and my friends. I don't want americans coming here and buying property. I don't want them bringing their fancy boats. I don't want to see them in the restaurants. I like Baja the way it is and the way it was. It fits me well. I no longer bring my brothers, sisters in law, friends, etc. I only share my pics and videos and fish reports with friends who feel the same. I like a quiet day on the beach. I like peace and serenity on the water. Not a bunch of gringos crowding MY Cortez. Yes, I'm totally selfish about Baja. But it feels right to me.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

after all that, POST A TRIP REPORT, FOR THE LOVE OF NEPTUNE!!!!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=73183
:P

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 06:23 AM

One point has not been made on the lack of fishing posts. Flaming the poster. A few of you take great pleasure denigrating a fishing poster if their actions, comments or opinions is other than your own. Remember the recent pic and report from a proud dad catching a few small dorado around Rancho Leonero. You would think he murdered someone. Do you expect he will ever post another fishing report on this forum? A respectful reply of your opinion on catching small dorado into today's SOC would have sufficed. This is not OT.

I posted a comment once about releasing rockfish for another day and Pescadore flamed me for that. Why post fishing comments, actions or adventures if a few legends in their own minds will only flame you for it. Here's what I recently posted on BDs about a similar event.

Page45:
"I gave up after 14 pages looking for a question or answer from SeanG or others on what the alleged multiple opahs looked like that he saw. I've fished the SD waters (1-2 times a week) for over 30 years and have not seen an opah but many molas some just outside SD Bay.

Some of you guys were a little tough on SeanG. A respectful reply looking to verify what he saw and helping him understand the law and regulations using a spear gun from his boat and the fish he tried to catch would have been the sporting way to reply. We are sportsman and gentlemen on this board aren't we? What you did is chase SeanG away from ever posting his catch again.

Posters like SeanG is what made this board the most informational SC fishing forum there is and has pointed me in the right direction and at the right place at the right time, many times since it started just like many others on this board. Thus saving me thousands of $ in fuel costs or into locations I never fished at before.

SeanG has not posted since this thread. One less lead to where the fish are biting. A wise man once said something like this, "He that is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone." seems appropriate in this situation.....While I'm one who would not harvest a mola, your opinion and my opinion on molas are just that "our opinions" that others may or may not follow. Some fish for sport and others to feed their families.... He only posted twice before in the same month before some of you guys took great pride in flaming him. He is obviously a rookie angler and needed our help being a better steward of ocean fishing before he gets himself into trouble with the F&G and/or takes fish unnecessarily. Some offered help but most did not."
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/opah.505612/page-45

[Edited on 4-10-2014 by Lobsterman]
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 07:22 AM

Good point Lobsterman.
You can't tell people you caught a bunch of fish without being called a pig.
You sure better not tell anybody that you keep grouper, bsb, or calicos.
Don't even think about posting a picture of a billfish.

So what do I put in the report? The gps numbers?
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

thumbup.gif posted on 4-10-2014 at 07:55 AM
Fishing....

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Good point Lobsterman.
You can't tell people you caught a bunch of fish without being called a pig.
You sure better not tell anybody that you keep grouper, bsb, or calicos.
Don't even think about posting a picture of a billfish.

So what do I put in the report? The gps numbers?
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 08:05 AM

We just got in from a nice windy trip out of LA-PAZ !!!! We have fished in BAJA FOR A LONG TIME..... This trip was for here three days to much wind & not very good for fishing...Went from spirit island to the bay of the dead + 88 .On 88 there was no bait on any shark buoys. Went to all the places to look for sierra, non to be found. It looks like the wind did a good job of moving all the fish south !!& Just what we need is the full MOON !!!!!!

Fish on , some time !!!!!!:(
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 08:48 AM

I once had a mola removed ....
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 05:41 PM

msteve1014,

A few years back I fished and camped at Daggetts at LA Bay. I met a guy who was selling his close by house and building another on at La Bocana. I do not remember his name and lost his card. We swapped many fish stories and shared a few drinks. He was a retired forest service officer from I believe Montana or that area. Do you know him? I'm planning a trip there this summer or to BA and would like to get ahold of him. This area is the only area I have not fished in Baja and am in a continuing search for a year round fish camp home and staging area for adventures further south. To me SOC is too hot and southern Baja is too far.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 06:06 PM

I do not know of anyone here from Montana. Could he be from Idaho? We have a few of them. Did he have a plane? Come check out La Bocana. I will be back around June.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2014 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lobsterman
msteve1014,

A few years back I fished and camped at Daggetts at LA Bay. I met a guy who was selling his close by house and building another on at La Bocana. I do not remember his name and lost his card. We swapped many fish stories and shared a few drinks. He was a retired forest service officer from I believe Montana or that area. Do you know him? I'm planning a trip there this summer or to BA and would like to get ahold of him. This area is the only area I have not fished in Baja and am in a continuing search for a year round fish camp home and staging area for adventures further south. To me SOC is too hot and southern Baja is too far.

If it was around 200 years ago, it might have been Skeet. :lol:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.