BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: NIGHMARE MEDICAL PROBLEM IN BAJA
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 07:00 AM

I believe you but what if someone has no one to help? They are denied medical care?
Quote:
Originally posted by Katiejay99
Boy, you are one stubborn woman!

Visitors have visiting hours and they are: 11am-12:30pm and 4pm-6pm. THOSE ARE VISITORS (which may or may not be family or a noted responsible party). They are NOT the person who must stay with the patient 24/7. When you go into the hospital you must give them the name and phone number of the person(s) who will be a "responsible party" ie there 24/7. As I had 2 different people helping me, they took turns. As one was with me the other was actually living in my van (which I bought in October from a Nomad) and it was parked in the parking lot. The van has a refrigerator, stove and water storage as well as the bed - its' a great camper/van.

Ok - look at #4 of your post. Es importante que la familia haga o tome turnos para el cuidado del paciente, no es necesario permanecer todos en el Hospital. Which says: It is important that the family takes turns to care for the patient and it is not necessary for all of them to stay in the hospital.

Also, my two friends are not family. One was Mexican who speaks no English and the other was American who speaks passable Spanish.

And if doesn't do it for you then I give up.

[Edited on 6-18-2014 by Katiejay99]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 09:05 AM
This should settle the question of patient-care.

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I believe you but what if someone has no one to help? They are denied medical care?
Quote:

Visitors have visiting hours and they are: 11am-12:30pm and 4pm-6pm. THOSE ARE VISITORS (which may or may not be family or a noted responsible party). They are NOT the person who must stay with the patient 24/7. When you go into the hospital you must give them the name and phone number of the person(s) who will be a "responsible party" ie there 24/7. As I had 2 different people helping me, they took turns. As one was with me the other was actually living in my van (which I bought in October from a Nomad) and it was parked in the parking lot. The van has a refrigerator, stove and water storage as well as the bed - its' a great camper/van.

Ok - look at #4 of your post. Es importante que la familia haga o tome turnos para el cuidado del paciente, no es necesario permanecer todos en el Hospital. Which says: It is important that the family takes turns to care for the patient and it is not necessary for all of them to stay in the hospital.

Also, my two friends are not family. One was Mexican who speaks no English and the other was American who speaks passable Spanish.

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by Kgryfon

I'm bumping this because I didn't get an answer, and I really would like to know since I am single. I most likely woudl have someone that could sit with me 24 hrs a day...so...what would happen?

My wife had surgery in the Salvatierra hospital in La Paz and I paid a nurse to be the person with her a nominal amount, since there was no place to sleep in or near the room.

This was some time ago at the old location.

[Edited on 6-18-2014 by vandenberg]

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 10:55 PM

Thanks. I guess that works if you have time to find a nurse before you go in (elective/scheduled). Maybe they have a list of people at the hospital for referral if not, or if you come in on an emergency basis...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 06:37 AM

Quote:

Good for you KatyJay99, I ran into the same stubborn response when I reported that the Seguro Popular offices charged for coverage on a sliding scale, which was consistent with the published rules on the Seguro Popular website. But the good doctora figured that because the hospital she was attached to did not charge that no one else in the country did charge. As those of us who have been here for awhile can attest, things are different at each and every hospital.

In Santa Rosalia, which takes Seguros Popular, they do not require a family member or other to attend, but will ask for some extra monies above what is covered by the Seguros for an attendant. They do have a pharmacy office, but it almost never has any medicines so you do have to go out and buy whatever the doctor prescribes.

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:01 AM

I guess the rules and regs of IMSS that are clearly printed on the hospital website are not necessarily the norm for every IMSS hospital. That is why we are here, to exchange information. I just find it hard to believe in an institution such as IMSS, that they change their rules and regs from hospital to hospital, but that happens a lot in Mexico it seems. I also feel bad for patients who don't have the money to hire a nurse in La Paz or have a family member, this excludes them from surgery it appears. By the way, Pescador, it's Seguro Popular, not Seguros Popular. I am very glad to learn of differences all over Baja, it is surprising but these differences are important for each of the areas to know about.
Katiejay99
Nomad

Mood: it is what it is

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:11 AM

Geesh EnsenadaDr haven't you figured out yet that we are talking about TWO DIFFERENT Hospitals? IMSS is ONE and Public/Seguro Popular is ANOTHER.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:13 AM

You are right. IMSS and Seguro Popular are two different hospitals. However, generally the public government hospitals such as Seguro Popular hospitals and IMSS usually don't allow family members at the bedside, regardless when there are no visiting hours. However, it appears from Pescador's info on payments with Seguro Popular and your information on Salvatierra Seguro Popular hospital that rules vary from region to region. Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated! It is not stubborness, it is trying to make sure the information is accurate and it appears it is. However, rules are rules and as physicians we need to abide by them.
Quote:
Geesh EnsenadaDr haven't you figured out yet that we are talking about TWO DIFFERENT Hospitals? IMSS is ONE and Public/Seguro Popular is ANOTHER.

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

[Edited on 6-20-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:14 AM

I know Pescador. It seems like I am just butting my head against a wall with her. I don't know why some people want everything to be the same everywhere and NOT UNDERSTAND that different states or hospitals have different rules. DUH.

It is important that those of us WHO LIVE in the areas we speak of do speak out so that others know of what to expect in THAT area.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:21 AM

Thanks again Katie. I have learned something. Your contributions here are invaluable as are others' comments. Please make sure you post in the category Baja Health and Wellness next time so that others looking for this information will be able to find the postings easier.
Quote:
I know Pescador. It seems like I am just butting my head against a wall with her. I don't know why some people want everything to be the same everywhere and NOT UNDERSTAND that different states or hospitals have different rules. DUH.

It is important that those of us WHO LIVE in the areas we speak of do speak out so that others know of what to expect in THAT area.
Katiejay99
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 07:26 AM

You know what EnsenadaDr, I don't know anything about physicians rules and if that is what you were talking about all along, it would have been nice if you had clarified that before now. I also know nothing about IMSS (as I stated earlier).

I believe most of the readers here are just ordinary folks like me and want to know what to expect as an ordinary person. I hope I have helped them in some small way.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 08:35 AM

Thanks again Katie. We need people like you who are users of the systems to comment and give out information to make things better for all of us!! Have a wonderful day, and yes, you have helped tremendously!
Quote:
You know what EnsenadaDr, I don't know anything about physicians rules and if that is what you were talking about all along, it would have been nice if you had clarified that before now. I also know nothing about IMSS (as I stated earlier).

I believe most of the readers here are just ordinary folks like me and want to know what to expect as an ordinary person. I hope I have helped them in some small way.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 10:21 AM

thanks Katie for all the great info! And thanks too for sticking with the post to get the information out there among those who seem to be at times attached to their 'rightness".

It's good to learn of peoples experiences with this topic!

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2014 at 10:50 AM

Quote:

While swimming in the ocean on Monday, he was stung by a jellyfish and went in to cardiac arrest.

This is the part of this whole story that kind of freaks me out. Healthy 28 year old goes into arrest from aguamale sting. Yeow! I hate those little buggers. They REALLY hurt. But cardiac arrest. That is scary.

BTW, both times I've been to private hospital here in San Jose del my USA insurance reimbursed 100% One bill for busting my noggin was 10K.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 10:34 AM

Agua mala is what the locals call the small jellies that look like a bubble on the surface. About the size of a nickle or quarter. Electric blue gut and quite long tentacle tail. Yes, I have been hit by these and it's no fun at all. I did get a little shocky after one particularly bad episode. Some people call them man o' war but I think that is something else.

I get up to the house and apply heat as soon as possible. Get a pot going at hot as you can stand and rotate wet hot wash cloths or small towels. Provides immediate pain relief.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2014 at 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
I hate those little buggers. They REALLY hurt. But cardiac arrest. That is scary.

What do you mean by "agua mala"? You ever been hit by a man-o-war?
... or a Scorpion Fish, both of whom are masters of disguise, which is their hunting mechanism, not that they're aggressive just sneaky fish-hunter predators.

Agua Mala refers to the little phyto-plankton that live in the shallows of the warm waters down here and are dinner to the very gentle whalesharks that swim around.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.