BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Diego baseball fans in mourning, today.....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 10:29 AM

Any avid fan of baseball should follow that link that bajadogs put up about Gwynn. There are some amazing numbers in there.

This one might be the most impressive..............

In 2,440 career games, Gwynn had only 34 multi-strikeout games. He had 45 games with FOUR HITS. So, the odds were better that Gwynn would get four hits in a game than striking out twice. Let that sink in.

He also had eleven streaks of 20 games or more where he never struck out once. His longest game streak without striking out was 39 games!!! Unreal!!!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 12:21 PM

Statistics should be a smaller part of the game. Don't you think?

This is not to denigrate anything Gwynn did, or Koufax for that matter. It's just that most of the time spent watching the game is talk about stats. I don't know. The game needs a fresh approach.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by N2Baja
... I heard he had 20/10 vision...

Me, too… until I hit 40. :no:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

This is not to denigrate anything Gwynn did, or Koufax for that matter. It's just that most of the time spent watching the game is talk about stats. I don't know. The game needs a fresh approach.

The stats posted in that article are cumulative, retrospective stats. I have no problem with those types.

It's the preoccupation on all the new predictive stats that I find rather boring.

Baseball has ALWAYS been the sport with the greatest preoccupation with statistics. There are just so many aspects of it that CAN be measured. Fortunately, one can choose to ignore these and still love watching the game.

In terms of front offices, managers and coaching staffs, it was inevitable that this level of statistical scrutiny would make it's way into the game. Whenever there is anything involving money, people will look for a statistical edge. As soon as computers became cheap and mobile, it was bound to happen.

But I still love the game.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 04:46 PM

Quote:

So, go and watch soccer!:lol:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:

So, go and watch soccer!:lol:

Unfortunately it has it's own issues - greater than baseball. The problem with soccer is that once you have a team has a lead it's virtually impossible to regain it. The team with the lead just passes it back and forth ad nauseam. They should have something like a 24 second clock - shoot the effn ball or turn it over. Same goes for defense. The entire team sags back on defense and you can't squeeze a ball through there. What fun is it to watch balls being passed in unsuccessfuly for an entire half.

Baseball is really unique. Sometimes you feel that the play callers just have nothing better to say - 'Pence hasn't had a hit in his last 8 at bats', 'Romo has a 1.92 era for the rest of the league but 12.92 with the Rockies'. If you pay attention it's really amazing how little is said without numerical support. Is it because so little happens?

Perhaps not enough happens in baseball and too much happens in basketball.

<wait, my phone is ringing><turned out to be unimportant>

Anyhow, I think the announcers should try to rely less on the numbers. I'd say about 85% of them do that.

Pence hits a shot to triple alley ... center fielder goes back ... way back .... it's gone.

[Edited on 6-18-2014 by Skipjack Joe]
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 07:18 PM

I'd like to see Tony's "can of corn" numbers
Bet it's pretty low

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 07:37 PM

Hey Skip,
I'm not a stat guy either. I never paid much attention to them while I watched Gwynn for 20 years. (oops, there's is a stat).

I guess the stats might keep the announcers from mumbling "Well the batter steps back again... asks for a painfully long readjustment of his manhood giving the pitcher enough time to pray, spit, readjust his cap and go through his his pre-pitch routine", only to start the whole painfully boring process all over again when he shakes off the catcher.

I watched Tony Gwynn from when I was 17 to 37 (another stat) and never worried about stats (another stat). I also met him one time (stat) and he was as down to earth as they come.

You have to admit these stats are impossibly amazing -

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/19-incred...

[Edited on 6-18-2014 by bajadogs]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 07:38 PM
Chewer's Choices

Tobacco use (regardless of mode) should be an individual's CHOICE.

We spent many great years in the stands at Jack Murphy watching him with the Padres.

Gwynn was a GREAT Player and a GREAT person who, unfortunately like so many, CHOSE to use Tobacco and kidded himself (as noted in the news article) that he'd be one of the LUCKY ones.

He wasn't. Sad to see him gone.

BUT, it was his CHOICE.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 09:45 PM

Or they could ban it from pro sports because it will kill you.

Nice try pretending to go Pro-Choice MRBillM
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Any avid fan of baseball should follow that link that bajadogs put up about Gwynn. There are some amazing numbers in there.

This one might be the most impressive..............

In 2,440 career games, Gwynn had only 34 multi-strikeout games. He had 45 games with FOUR HITS. So, the odds were better that Gwynn would get four hits in a game than striking out twice. Let that sink in.

He also had eleven streaks of 20 games or more where he never struck out once. His longest game streak without striking out was 39 games!!! Unreal!!!!

Gwynn also excelled at basketball ....

Even though Gwynn excelled in baseball growing up, there was a period in which he believed basketball was probably his best sport.

The short but speedy Gwynn became a standout point guard in high school, helping a talent-laden Poly team finish 30-1 and win a section championship as a junior in 1976 and then leading the Jackrabbits back to the title game his senior season. The hand-eye coordination, vision and aptitude that made Gwynn a standout hitter in baseball also translated well to the point guard position because he excelled at handling the ball, finding teammates in position to score and making good decisions with the ball in his hands.

Gwynn was such a talented point guard that he considered quitting baseball altogether to focus exclusively on basketball before his senior year of high school. His mother eventually talked him into sticking with baseball one more season, but he still attended San Diego State on a basketball scholarship and only began playing baseball again as a sophomore after one of his hoops teammates tipped off the baseball coaches that the school's starting point guard was a halfway decent hitter too.

Even so, Gwynn still holds the career assists record at San Diego State and was selected by the then-San Diego Clippers in the 1981 NBA draft on the same day the Padres took him in the third round of the Major League draft. Both Gwynn and his basketball coach at Poly, Ron Palmer, often wondered how successful Gwynn might have been had he pursued basketball instead.

"Obviously, I would never tell anyone that he made the wrong decision to play baseball based on the outcome, but he'd have been a great basketball player too," Palmer said. "He could have played in the NBA and he could have been a coach because he understood the game he was playing like nobody else I've had. Just like in baseball, he absolutely understood the game."

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2014 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

YEP!!! Those are games, not "at bats". 39 GAMES without a strikeout!!!!??? IMPOSSIBLE!

Will never happen again.
briantroy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 12:40 AM

Funny how SD produces great hitters. I dipped for 15 years and stopped 24 days ago. I still have huge urges, but I still feel dipping is better than smoking.

These endless lands and unique waters are not simply soil and sea. These elements of earth and water are as much a part of me as my blood and organs. And the people that populate this corner of the world lift my spirit to heights that allow me to see what is truly important; The beauty of life. And that is the essential gift.
– B. Florez, Mission of Souls.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 11:06 AM

through the eyes of a baseball kid's Mother:

It was a sad day in our family when I had to break the news to my 35 year old Son that his childhood hero had passed on. And yes, grown men do get teary-eyed. Many games spent sitting in the stand watching Tony with his Grandpa and me too. Many years collecting baseball cards with a glee in his eyes when he would get one of Tony's after spending his allowance adding to his Gwynn collection. Tony put the passion of baseball in his heart (and many other kids too), and he went on to play school ball and select baseball as well. We traveled all over playing baseball, and as many young boys dream, he wanted to be as good as Tony. And he was one hell of a baseball player.

Thanks Tony for sparking in young children the love of baseball and giving them a REAL hero to look up to...and moreso that you can be anything you want to be when you work hard to hone your skill, walk your path with integrity, and give back.

Tony is and always will be a legend, and unlike so many so-called heros and icons these days...he wasn't just a legend in his own mind, he was truly a gifted man, and an asset to everyone he touched!

Seriously this man is as good as they come, not just as an awesome baseball player, but as a human being!

RIP Tony! Thanks for many years of memories! And thanks for being the kind of hero Mothers can be proud to have their kids look up to!

Is there any word yet on his services? I'll bet the City of San Diego shuts down for this great man!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 11:25 AM
Before Tony

When the padres were still part of the Pacific Coast League in the 1950s they had Ted Williams and I used to watch them play at the old (forgot name) stadium downtown. The other teams were the Los Angles of course and the Hollywood Stars, the Portland Beavers, the San Francisco Seals, the Oakland Acorns, the Seattle Rainiers and the Sacramento Solons. This was at least 5 years before Tony was born and I had all the padres baseball cards until my ex threw them out.

[Edited on 6-18-2014 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 6-18-2014 at 12:37 PM

Durrelllrobert, my mom and uncles would go there to watch the Pacific coast league baseball.....hmmm I'm not sure but I think my mom telling me about going to games at Lane Field. Could that be the one you are thinking of? My husband use to go to west park field back in the day, which use to be down where fashion valley is now.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
Durrelllrobert, my mom and uncles would go there to watch the Pacific coast league baseball.....hmmm I'm not sure but I think my mom telling me about going to games at Lane Field. Could that be the one you are thinking of? My husband use to go to west park field back in the day, which use to be down where fashion valley is now.

Yep, you got it. Lane Field was the name. I guess I must be about the same age (77) as your mom and uncles.

Bob Durrell
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-19-2014 at 08:19 PM
The DOG Barks ?

LOTS of things CAN Kill.

AND, many of those things are KNOWINGLY indulged in by those who CHOOSE to partake.

I AM Firmly Pro-Choice when it comes to Suicide.

But, not the killing of others.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.