Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More Sea Spooge
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 06:42 AM
More Sea Spooge

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/8278/20140728/red-ti...

Interesting article, isn't about Baja, but red tide. In the latter part of the year we get a lot of what people refer to as 'red tide' in the central Cortez area (I'm sure all over Baja) that's actually fish roe from spawning. My known area is half-beaks and needlefish roe, and is bio-luminescent; really fun to boat through or wade in at night.

This article mentions the toxins of the actual Marea Roja, not only to fish and wildlife, but to humans. Something I wasn't aware of is it also has an aerosol factor that can hurt humans in windy conditions as well.

Entonces, with the summer months and warmer than usual waters, good to know about; don't eat any critters that are close to the blooms. Rinse well if you come in contact. It's also very bioluminescent and fun to play in, but has some bad ju-ju. Any reports of it, love to hear about it just for spits and giggles.
:coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 11:56 AM

The red tides I grew up with in Ventura during the 50's and 60's were just kinda smelly, but it didn't keep us out of the waves. It was luminescent but didn't seem to hurt anything although I understand that shellfish become inedible during those times.
What they call "red tide" in Florida is completely different. We lived in Venice, Florida for 3 years a while back, and when the "red tide" is in there, you can hardly go to the beach. You can't really see it, but as you get to the beach, you can feel it as you breath. It makes you cough and kinda burns your lungs. Really nasty stuff. Makes you turn around in the parking lot and go home. As soon as you get away from the beach, everything is ok again.
Now this stuff is fish roe. Must be a lotta different kinds of Red Tides:cool:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
The red tides I grew up with in Ventura during the 50's and 60's were just kinda smelly, but it didn't keep us out of the waves. It was luminescent but didn't seem to hurt anything although I understand that shellfish become inedible during those times.
What they call "red tide" in Florida is completely different. We lived in Venice, Florida for 3 years a while back, and when the "red tide" is in there, you can hardly go to the beach. You can't really see it, but as you get to the beach, you can feel it as you breath. It makes you cough and kinda burns your lungs. Really nasty stuff. Makes you turn around in the parking lot and go home. As soon as you get away from the beach, everything is ok again.
Now this stuff is fish roe. Must be a lotta different kinds of Red Tides:cool:

Did you read the article? My post was about the real-deal red tides in Florida right now; summertime algal and bacterial blooms. Bad for you, bad for the ecology.

In BAJA in WINTER we get a similar occurrence that some novice people call 'red tide' when it isn't. THAT'S the fish roe.
IF Baja was to get it now in the heat of summer, high water temps, then that would be 'red tide'.

86 - 45*

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 05:07 PM

I think the red tide that occurs in the pacific area around late August is caused by dinoflagellates. The microorganisms grow to such an extent that they block out sunlight and cause fish to leave the area. As a young man I used to dive around Solana Beach and it was impossible to dive if the Red Tide was present and there was an odor present and bio-luminescent in the water at night.

bacquito
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 05:15 PM

I didn't read the article. I was only commenting that there are many things called "red tide". Seems to depend where you are.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 05:42 PM

Baquito, exactamente. The difference is water temp. That's why the ol' saying "don't eat shellfish in a month without an 'R' ". Hot months make bad bacteria.

Watizname, please read the sent website article before you comment, that's why it's there; much to know. The roe and 'marea roja' have much in common, but worlds apart. Good to know the difference if you want to harvest food from the sea. This li'l tidbit taught me some new stuff, and new stuff is always welcome.

86 - 45*

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 09:31 AM

There's a bacterium called Vibrio vulnificus that's found throughout the northern Gulf of Mexico. Not a red tide critter, can be deadly if it gets into a cut or possibly consumed when eating raw oysters. There has been one death already this summer, last year 11 people died and 41 were infected.:no:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 10:12 AM

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5945846

Toledo issues water warning over algae toxin
Residents urged not to drink water and the city warned against boiling because it will only increase the toxin's concentration

Ohio's fourth-largest city has warned residents not to consume its water after tests revealed the presence of a toxin possibly related to algae on Lake Erie.

Toledo issued the warning early Saturday. It said tests at one treatment plant returned two sample readings for microsystin above the standard for consumption.

The city warned against boiling because it will only increase the toxin's concentration. The advisory covers city residents and those in Lucas County served by the city's water supply.

The city's advisory says Lake Erie may have been affected by a bloom of harmful algae that produces the toxin. Consuming the tainted water could result in vomiting, diarrhea and other problems.

Toledo is home to about 280,000 people. The city says more tests are being run.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 10:56 AM

Amazing what can happen with temperature change

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.