BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Flight into SJD today
zzzxxx

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 07:06 PM
My Flight into SJD today

So with quite a bit of trepidation, I headed down to LA to attempt to fly to the airport at Cabo San Lucas. The airport has been closed to international flights since the hurricane hit, and my flight was to be the first international flight into SJD. I booked this flight on Alaska Airlines 5 months ago - pure happenstance that this turned out to be the first flight into SJD.

Driving down the 405 through LA was all flocked up, and took me over 3 hours from Santa Barbara. I did not arrive at LAX until almost 9 AM for my scheduled 10:10 departure. And, I had 5 boxes/bags and a damn dog to check! Alaska folks got it done, and I was at the gate with 10 minutes to spare.

The flight down was as normal - beautiful views of the peninsula, with lots of stormy clouds mid way from the latest tropical depression.

As we approached SJD, the scenery was quite beautiful, with the desert and mountains vivid green. The arroyos are still flowing, lots lot water!

The mood on the plane was festive, conversations loud and boysterous. As we touched down, a spontaneous hooping and clapping erupted , obvious that all on board were aware of the specialness of this first flight into SJD. Very cool, but the best was yet to come……

I was sitting on a left side window seat, and as we approached the jetway, I could see lots of ground personnel taking photos and clapping, with lots of “thumbs up” directed to us. Very cool, still the best was yet to come…..

As we walked up the jetway, I could hear hoots and clapping… Upon reaching the terminal building, there was a long tunnel of airport employees clapping and yelling, high-fiveing all the passengers as we departed. We were offered ice-cold coronas and water, all were handed a bag with a t-shirt and other goodies, and a mariachi band was playing off to the side!!! It was truly a touching experience - I have never felt so welcomed.

The trip through customs was uneventful, with the red/green button functioning as usual. I will say that today was the fastest I have ever made it though that process, but your results will vary I am sure…

I had arranged transport to Los Barriles 5 months ago on the eco-baja shuttle, but had not been able to contact them, and assumed a $100 cab ride was on the agenda. Nope - the shuttle was there, waiting for me. Simple and easy.

Everything at Verdugos is good. My palapa is fine, needs a good cleaning (tomorrow, smokey’s tonight). Sat down with Martin for half an hour at the bar, all good there.

Looking forward to fresh fish for dinner in the near future…..

Jack Whaley
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 07:24 PM

Good to hear Jack, thanks for the first day, first hand report!

Very important to have tourism return, nice welcome for sure.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 07:29 PM

Great to hear. What a nice trip! Viva Baja
CaboSur
Nomad

Mood: Irrelevant

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 07:53 PM

Welcome back Jack,, Gringos have been few and far between.

From a Odile survivor
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 08:11 PM

Jack, i copied your story to talkbaja.com.
Great story.
Barb
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 08:22 PM

Jack I posted your note on our Facebook pages .. its wonderful to see. Thank you from all of us, and, I'll be so bold as to thank you on behalf of everyone that loves CSL, SJD, LB, LP, PP, TS, EC and all of BSur .. please give Chris at Smokeys saludos ..

Thanks Doug for your ayuda to your tech challenged amiga me :-)

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 09:30 AM

welcome to Baja Nomad Jack and your first hand account gave me "happy" goosebumps hearing how cool the whole scene was...I am sooooo very proud of the Mexican government for the speedy response and rebuild down south....simply amazing.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 09:49 AM

Great news and report.

thks
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:28 AM

Thank you for posting.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 01:56 PM

Welcome to the new folks!

That was an amazing story ... touching .... so inspirational.

Please entertain us with more of the same as you live your dream.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 03:59 PM

Great news. There are so many locals who are dependent on tourism. Without the flights, they are fundamentally unemployed.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.