BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Baja fishing
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-10-2014 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up, the reel I have on my salmon rod is a Diawa sealine 50H. Not sure if this is equal to the SLH or not? It has held up fishing salmon in the ocean for many years although it is showing signs of aging, just like me.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 12:47 AM

I am not a "techie" as to reels (it seems to me with a decent spinning rod, a penn jigmaster and a senator and you've covered 90% of the fish yer gonna catch this time of year) but for the basic shore fishing and in shore fishing your are going to do your rigs are probably fine...just have a few extras. Some plastics/krocs/fastracs/rapalas/squid and some small-ish hooks for Triggers and you is good to go!

[Edited on 12-11-2014 by redhilltown]
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 10:58 AM

Bert, I forgot to add, those Sealines are real good. Especially the older ones. The SLH was a little smaller.Most of the salmon fisherman around here on the southern Oregon coast are using ambassageurs....level winds etc, for salmon.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 11:25 AM

any of those winches will do,BUT, leave the s-l-o-w action salmon rods home. these fish have hard mouths and pull hard, grab something with some backbone for positive hooksets and keeping em out of the rocks! have fun!:D
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-11-2014 at 11:44 AM

Are you able to get on step with that 8 hp motor? I never had my Zodiac down in Baja, but fished and hunted Alaskan waters for years with a Mark II Compact, which is a hypalon, inflatable keel model about the same size as yours.
My eighteen horse Evinrude was about as small as I would want to go with any kind of load on board. The flexible hull and floor has a lot of drag, and beach landings, fish landings and such I usually wound up taking on water. I don't think I could have gotten my skiff to plane enough to let the bilge water run out the scuppers with eight horsepower!
I recommend running your boat as tight as you can inflate it, but don't leave it on the beach in the sun without bleeding off some pressure.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Siesta Bert

[*] posted on 12-12-2014 at 05:27 PM

Yes good point about an inflatable sitting in the hot sun all day. With 2 people in the boat I can get planning quite quickly and cruise at a decent speed. I don't know that most guys ever have enough power but when you have to pack a motor the lightest one to get the job done wins.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.