BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nationally plated cars to the U.S.?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 03:17 PM
Nationally plated cars to the U.S.?

I am thinking about buying around a 2005 SUV car in the States, bring it to Baja and get national plates. I am a Residente Permanente that might like to explore the mainland and probably take the ferry.
I would also like to occasionally bring it back to the states and naturally have U.S. insurance while there.

The question is, does anyone have first hand experience getting their car nationally plated and drive it to the states? What insurance do you get because my U.S. carrier will not insure it.

Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Howard

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 03:33 PM

Howard,
We had our truck nationalized about a year and a half ago. We were in the States in August and September last year. Drove through parts of California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Montana. No one gave us a second glance (although we have the tailgate down with the camper on and the back plate is hard to see). We get our insurance for Mexico through the Mercados here in Loreto and our Mexican policy (GNP Seguros) includes liability insurance for travel in the States. Its only liability, but it makes one legal. I wondered if we wouldn't be hassled but we had zero problems. Makes it easy going to the Mexican mainland as well.
güero
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I am thinking about buying around a 2005 SUV car in the States, bring it to Baja and get national plates. I am a Residente Permanente that might like to explore the mainland and probably take the ferry.
I would also like to occasionally bring it back to the states and naturally have U.S. insurance while there.

The question is, does anyone have first hand experience getting their car nationally plated and drive it to the states? What insurance do you get because my U.S. carrier will not insure it.

Any first hand experience would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Howard

Hola Howard, I imported a 6 yr old car about 5 years ago. It wasn’t worth the money or hassle. By the time I was done it cost over $1,600 with the plates and registration. It will probably cost you $2,000 now, especially with the national plates. Why don’t you buy a SUV in Mexico with national plates. I’ve bought 2 used cars in Mexico and got a great deal. Just make sure they haven’t been wrecked in the front.

On my newest Mexican plated car I have HDI Seguros insurance. I’m covered full coverage in Mexico and the US. On the older car I have General de Seguros, S.A.B. It's full coverage in Mexico and liability in the states.

Happy Holidays All!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies

I have been looking in Baja for a nationally plated car but just have not found one yet. I am pretty specific, looking for a Jeep Liberty, 6 cylinder, 4 w/d with under 100,000 miles somewhere between a 2004-2008.

What type of paperwork is there for the seller to prove that it is his to sell? Is there a type of certificate of ownership?

What does it take to get it in my name?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 05:02 PM

There are these car lists on Facebook by Mexicans in La Paz, you need to join FB and then request to join the group. I noticed many nice Jeep Liberty's for sale including one from a friend. Maybe ask for help from someone familiar with Facebook who also speaks spanish.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rematedecarroslapazbykiki/se...
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

I imported my 2006 car about 5 years ago (as soon as it was eligible, at the time). Cost was around $1100 but I've easily saved that since in the lower insurance costs. Annual registration costs are low since the "tenencia" was abolished, I think around $50.

I don't know if it's different in BCS, but in BCN there are two types of plates: fully national plates, and frontera imported vehicle plates (different colours). I have the latter, which would still require temporary import permits if I took it to the mainland. I understand a fully nationalised plate would cost more, if even possible - they're usually on cars that were first registered in Mexico, not imports.

There have been a lot of changes and delays in the import process in the past year or so, it may cost more or take longer than you expect.

Local insurance in Mexico is harder to get for imports, and costs more (just like in any market - the parts will cost more to get, so are reflected in the rates). There are also less options for insurance, since on-line quote systems don't show models not available in Mexico.

Having said that, I pay about US$500/year for my Qualitas insurance in Mexico, with full coverage (I'll probably drop to liability only next year as the car is older). This includes $100k CSL liability in the US and Canada (for Canada, you have to request a free Canadian insurance card from the insurer, the US is covered with an extra page on the policy).

I've travelled throughout the western US and Canada with these Baja California Frontera plates for the past four summers, and have never been stopped or questioned because of them. There doesn't seem to be a US equivalent to "driving while gringo", even in Arizona.

90% of people who see the plates think they're California plates anyway (they don't read the word Baja, and I have a frame on it that covers the word Mexico at the bottom).

Although I'm happy with the way the import of this car has worked out, I would probably get my next vehicle in Mexico (a "Mexican-from-birth" car) rather than import as it would give me a larger choice of insurers (online quotes rather than just the one inefficient local broker), to save any US sales tax, and because the import process changes so often.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.