Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Christmas with the teens in LA BOCANA
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 10:47 AM
Christmas with the teens in LA BOCANA

Last Saturday was the BIG day! We had a good turnout - only 5 could not make it as they were still out of town on vacation: Cristian, Ramiro, Alen, Alexis and Carolina.

Present were Clarissa, Graciela, Julian, Alfonso from 2013 group. Pablo from 2014 group. Angel, Enrique, Meriele from 2015 group.

Les made a huge 20 pound turkey with stuffing, and fresh cranberries. I made carrots, potato salad, cucumber salad, rice, homemade applesauce as well as a lime pie and brownies for dessert.

All the gifts were ready thanks to bajanomader Feathers!

JULIAN AND MERIELLE WITH SHIRTS:

ANGEL WITH SOME SHORTS:

CLARISSA WITH A NOTEBOOK - EVERYONE GOT ONE AND THEY ALL GOT LOOSELEAF PAPER TOO.

ENRIQUE WITH A DRESS SHIRT - THEY NEED THESE FOR COLLEGE PRESENTATIONS. HE WILL BE A FRESHMAN COME AUGUST.

JULIAN WITH HIS NEW CAP:

JULIAN WITH THE NEW CAP AND THE NEW TIE lol:

I did some very fun events to make this work as different groups were getting different things:

to all the soon to be college freshmen - there was a room with suitcases and they got to pick out whichever one they wanted.

In anther room, I had the sleeping bags, also for the newbies. They got to pick out their own and choose for those not present.

NOTICE THE SLEEPING BAG ON THE BED:

In another room (we were at the B&B with 7 rooms) , I had put 4 jewelry dolls and each girl got to choose one:

CLARISSA AND HER JEWELRY DOLL:

This is a pic of me - QUITE BLURRY - but I want you to notice the full page of notes on the table. This was a major event to pull off and I did not want to forget anyone or anything. One of the items on the list was oral hygiene - they all got a huge tube toothpaste and toothbrushes. I really stressed the importance of taking care of their teeth.

One of the kids took a short video of me doing the spiel on NOT PROCRASTINATING in college. This is always my piece of wisdom. I had each veteran college student give their 2 cents on advice to newbies too.

Also, we had bought some hummus which I brought to the part. I had them try some - didn't get too much praise, it may be an acquired taste?

I had a room FILLED with small stuff like soaps, shampoos, used clothes, erasers, brushes, combs ..... and in groups of 2, they got to go in and choose 3 items each until everything was gone. This is a pic of Merielle and Enrique waiting their turn -they loved this part and I will repeat again next year:

THIS IN ENRIQUE BEARING NEW PRESCRIPTION specs DONATED BY DR. ERIC WHITE OF SAN DIEGO. HE IS HOLDING THE TOILET PAPER DONATED BY BAJANOMAD GENE AND WIFE. HE IS WEARING A NEW WINTER COAT DONATED BY MY BROTHER-IN-LAW. HE SURE MADE OUT!

GRACIELA WHO GOT PREGNANT AND DROPPED OUT OF THE PROGRAM CAME ..... SHE AND HER MOM WERE ON DUTY COLLECTING ALL THE BAGS AND BOXES FOR NEXT YEAR'S PARTY:

THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING OUT. PLEASE COLLECT THOSE TIES AND DRESS SHIRTS, IT REALLY HELPS! IF YOU ARE COMING SOUTH, WE CAN ALWAYS USE LOOSE LEAF PAPER, NOTEBOOKS, SHAMPOOS, LAUNDRY DETERGENT, DISHWASHING SOAP AND OF COURSE- TOILET PAPER....this makes their monthly expenses manageable.

and lastly, if you want to be a future sponsor, $100 a month pays all their rent + food + internet and I still need 2 sponsors for next August 2015.

HAPPY HEALTHY - LUCRATIVE - LOVING NEW YEAR TO YOU !

AND THAT IS ALL! I HAVE TONS MORE PICS BUT I THINK YOU CAN SEE THAT WE REALLY HAD FUN. HERE IS A PIC OF THE GANG:

AND HERE IS A PIC OF ME AND THE GANG:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 11:00 AM

I forgot to mention the irons! I handed out three of them - thanks Scot for helping out with this!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 12:06 PM

You deserve the credit Blanca, happy to do my small part.

Scot
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 12:35 PM

good for you, Blanca! how do you say " pay it forward" in Spanish. teach the kids this meaning!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2015 at 12:59 PM

Woody - they already are learning - I have them mentoring each other ... they are picking up quickly and I am so pleased

and each one will be sponsoring 2 students each in the future - exactly the way I am doing with them. In this way, hopefully all students in la Bocana and Punta Abreojos will be handled. Now that will be a wonderful day!

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.