Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Military surplus camping gear
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2015 at 11:45 PM
Military surplus camping gear

I seem to recall a few years back, someone saying the authorities are suspicious of gabachos that bring Military surplus gear into Mexico. True still, or did I imagine it. I now use a couple of old A.L.I.C.E packs for my clothes etc and wetsuits. Any input or exp? Thanks
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 12:40 AM

...gotta love how...''suhispanicious'' comes up,,,,an auto-correct for anything with 's-p-i-c' in it! :lol:

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by micah202]
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:43 AM

I am trying to love it, but am still in the annoyance stage as a JN
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:56 AM

Years ago my wife and I were driving through Peten region of Guatemala when the guerillas were active. At a military checkpoint they found my canteen, a canteen I had bought years ago as a boy scout and used it in the sierras. Boy did they get peeed.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 10:35 AM

I take my 50 pounds of fishing gear Lures weights hooks etc. to Baja and back in a army surplus green camo digital pattern backpack. Never had anybody say anything and they looking at all the time. To see leave the AMMO canisters at home.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 10:47 AM

Woody, it is interesting that you mentioned an ammo can. I have marveled at the fact that on the last four trips down the length of Baja, neither the Mexican inspection points, or the US border agents have asked to look in the ammo can I carry fragile items in! It is in plain sight behind the passenger seat, but nobody has asked about it, much to my surprise.
In fact, I really have had very few inspectors look into anything out my reach from the drivers seat.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 10:59 AM

I've used large and small ammo cans for 20 years; started while river running, have several for fishing gear or anything I want water-proofed. They stack well, chain together well for security, and never had a problem. An occasional military inspection may want to peek inside, but never a hassle in any way. I've spray-painted 'em all white to keep the internal heat down too. My '70s original machete and scabbard are always in plain sight on the back seat floorboard too.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 11:07 AM

My machete is tucked in right next to my driver seat and the console. when they ask I say Ratones and they laugh.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
My machete is tucked in right next to my driver seat and the console. when they ask I say Ratones and they laugh.

And then you hear about the cops making a bust for a 3" pocket knife. :?: :?:

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 11:21 AM

Fun stop at an army checkpoint many years ago.

A hobby of mine is painting and, among other things, I've enjoyed doing a few hunting themes on some Suburbans and trailers. The only time my camo-truks created any commotion at a Baja army checkpoint was when a commander politely advised me that the camouflage colors were normally reserved for the Mexican Army.

He and the rest of the soldiers got a good laugh out of the two 'retrievers' I had painted next to the gas cap. He grinned and told me to have a good trip. Like music, humor is usually a good ice-breaker. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2015 at 01:13 PM

Russ, it's a tool. Military guys are not hung up on a 3" knife. It the city cops looking for lunch money.

[Edited on 1-26-2015 by woody with a view]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.