BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: gas between Bay of LA and Vizcaino?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2015 at 06:55 PM

not saying you can afford it all...but might give you some ideas...

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.matlock.9/posts/8897722777209...
bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 06:55 AM

BOLA--Bay of LA!! Sorry I didn't get that, I need to stay out of the sun!
Thanks for the tips on the race prepped RZR. We will tear ours down after summer, gusset the frame, install ch moly suspension parts, a large fuel cell, and "bulletproof" everything else, but for now time is short.

Given the gas situation, we might change our itinerary and stick to the usual riding destinations in Norte, but maybe we can find fuel in Francisquito (thanks Pacifico). I just hope then that we can get to the PEMEX at Vizcaino before it closes.

Is the road still hardpack from Francisquito through ElArco to Vizcaino ? Sand sure sucks up the fuel!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 09:50 AM

There is a SHORTER way to Vizcaino than through El Arco! It passes closer to Mission Santa Gertrudis, through the center of deserted Guillermo Prieto, and out to Hwy. 1 about 7 miles north of Vizcaino.

On the Almanac (mileages written in our mine from 2012, we used the southern half of it to see Pozo Aleman and the giant rock art site Mesa el Carmen):

The northern end meets the San Francisquito/ El Arco road 1.7 miles past Piedra Blanca:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajarider1  

Is the road still hardpack from Francisquito through ElArco to Vizcaino ? Sand sure sucks up the fuel!

For the most part it is still hardpacked. There are a couple of wide arroyo crossing that are sandy but nothing to worry about.

The cut-over road that David K mentions I don't know what condition it's in since we did not use it. It also may be hard to find unless you know where it is or have a GPS reading on it. They graded the road in places and may have moved dirt in it's path. I don't remember seeing it going or coming last month. John M might remember seeing it. The rains played havic on the arroyos and all they crossed. SCORE used the road from El Arco in the 1000 race last Nov.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 01:25 PM

It looks like either road is about the same distance and the chance of getting gas in El Arco would be better.

captain.olives

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 06:22 PM

I imagine cut off is sand like the washes on the main road.... only you have many miles of it. The route south we took past St Elena was sand about 60-70% of the way. If you only have a couple of bikes and the razor, I wouldnt worry about getting gas. Each of you will only need a couple of gallons. Sure you can either find it, or carry it. Bola to Punta San Francisquito is a very tame road. And these MSR Dromedary bags worked very well for us strapped on the back of some bikes. Searching for gas and interacting with the locals is half the adventure! :bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-11-2015 at 07:00 PM

Not soft sand, all 2WD in my Tacoma (in 2001 and 2012, the same).

It is a well used access to Santa Gertrudis and Rancho Miraflores from Vizcaino or San Francisquito road, saves miles!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarider1

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 09:39 PM

Hello Guys:
This is all great info. Thanks so much! We're looking forward to the ride even more now that we know more about the route and gas supply. If you find yourself in San Ignacio March 15 or 16, look us up at San Ignacio Springs, or Pete's Camp this summer.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 11:09 PM

There are three Pemex stations in Vizcaino, the one on the east side (in the middle) is a major truck stop. I'm pretty sure they are open all night. Have fun.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.