Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Decisions, decisions
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:46 PM

Cisco,
When it comes to this kind of terrain, I am on a bike or walkin'.... :biggrin:

I haven't seen any good trailer pop-up camper reviews really....seems the standard ones (not like those adventure trailer types) are pretty much built all the same and have their issues....canvas isn't too good in terms of security while away from the trailer.

Sticking w/ the cargo trailer fantasies so far....

Google and Youtube have a ton of info re: ideas and options....no limit to one's imagination....each to our own.

Another link:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226343

Don't believe everything you think....
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Cisco,

I haven't seen any good trailer pop-up camper reviews really....seems the standard ones (not like those adventure trailer types) are pretty much built all the same and have their issues....canvas isn't too good in terms of security while away from the trailer.

Google and Youtube have a ton of info re: ideas and options....no limit to one's imagination....each to our own.

Another link:

I had a 500 cc Matchless single that I used just for that Ged. Terrible street bike.

Torqueyest (is that a word?) bike I ever owned. Used just for hill climbing.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 04:18 PM

different strokes! throughout the eighties I traveled in a semi converted LOP box van I bought from Laurens after Marty had won the 1980 USGP in carlbad. (we thought we were hotchit driving this thing to desert races) anyway my dream was to build a smaller badazz version, somehow I got old and never saw my dream. start now and build this thing!;)

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by willardguy]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2015 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Cisco,

Another link:

I had a 500 cc Matchless single that I used just for that Ged. Terrible street bike.

Torqueyest (is that a word?) bike I ever owned. Used just for hill climbing.

darn you! now im gonna be thinking about the beach boy's "little honda" all day!

"It climbs the hills like a matchless
Cause my Honda's built really light"

I'm sorry Guy.

Didn't even know there was such a tune.

I don't think anyone had ever heard of a Honda when we were doing the bikes. The Japanese invasion had not begun and it was English, German and Italian bikes that we were hooked-up on.

The big American bikes were useless for our purposes.

My very favorite street bike was a punched-out little Ducati Diana, a five-speed (first I had ever seen) 250 cc cafe racer. Perfect for me.

It would be nice with all the dependable motorcycles available to be able to carry one with me but with my rig, no go.

I will make up a post on folder bicycles when I get a chance. I do carry a Katakura Porta-Silk (Praying Mantis) with me. But you have to be extremely careful what you get or you can do some real damage to yourself with a substandard product that folds up on you coming down a hill at 30 mph as happened to a friend.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 09:07 PM
Aussie Solutions

Here ya go, mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6KJXeOM0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pXTEqVZA2I

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 09:35 PM

Was it REALLY necessary to set up camp, wherever the vehicles in the photos above were going?

One has to look at the best base camps near these challenging ascents, where you can leave your base and do these areas as a day-use run in an unincumbered vehicle.

It's a rare base camp in Baja that isnt next to the ocean, for me.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2015 at 10:59 AM

Hook,
Boys and their toys.... :biggrin:

Perhaps they were on a route and not ready to camp....not everyone parks and plays "hill climb".

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 12:02 PM
The big American bikes were useless for Baja hills?

Hey Cisco, when I lived in Butte, MT before my folks had the good sense to move to San Diego in 1952, I went through 7th grade with Bobby (Evil) Knivel and we both had '40s vintage Indian Scouts. We used to ride them up and down the steep, loose rock copper mine tailings with never a problem. When i got caught riding mine without a license in San Dieg my old man took a sledge hammer to the engine and cut up the frame with a hack saw. Don't know what happened to Evil's but I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

Bob Durrell
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Hey Cisco, when I lived in Butte, MT before my folks had the good sense to move to San Diego in 1952, I went through 7th grade with Bobby (Evil) Knivel and we both had '40s vintage Indian Scouts. We used to ride them up and down the steep, loose rock copper mine tailings with never a problem. When i got caught riding mine without a license in San Dieg my old man took a sledge hammer to the engine and cut up the frame with a hack saw. Don't know what happened to Evil's but I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

Maybe riding an Indian but not jumping one...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
I know when he broke most of his bones jumping the fountain at Cesar's Place in LV he was still ridian an Indian.

Yeah, Great recommendation for Indian.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2015 at 03:19 PM

This is an informative and interesting blog (for me anyway) as a VanDweller.

I am unable to post photos on this machine but if you are a sexually active Nomad VanDweller I would suggest you check out the photo halfway down on page 16.

Also, Jay-Cee talks a lot about and shows photos of his gold finds and equipment.

Hope you enjoy the read, I have many times.

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/272652-21-years-in-a-19...
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 06:26 AM

That guy, Two Dogs, is a little too spartan for me. And I think I would need to clean up a little more often than he does.

But to do it on 5k a year (plus the occasional gold find, I guess) is pretty impressive. Especially with TWO dogs, and they ain't that small. He's saving a bundle on haircuts, blade razors and shaving cream, though. :lol:

Full-time companionship, excluding dogs, of course, would also be much too expensive and space compromising.

He clearly doesn't move around very much. How could you, even with gas relatively cheap now. His idea of freedom seems to be freedom from other humans. Mine is more about freedom of movement. And he does reside relatively close to the fringes of civilization, geographically. His regular spots are pretty easy to get to; they'd have to be in that van.

But, for the context of this discussion about vehicles and possessions, he has some valuable insights. So do the others, as he appears to have abandoned the thread in

I think a small utility trailer would do wonders for how cramped the van must be with all his possessions. Again, if not getting out on unmaintained dirt roads much, it would make vanning much more tolerable to me.

Potential vehicle threads, like potential boat threads, are always interesting, always insightful.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 04:26 PM

K:

Too late for this year but this will give you an idea about how it all goes together.

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/gatherings/

and some general information that I have not looked at. Headers are interesting.

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/forum/58-campingoutdoor-livin...

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-21-2015 at 08:37 PM

K,
Casitas have quite a cult following, I have friends who loves theirs. Some nice advantages to small, easy tow, short wheel base for easy handling and better back country access and you have all the comforts without a large investment. One thing I thought was cool is their two piece fiberglass construction, kinda like a clam shell. Another name that seems to have the same construction is the Burro, Fun name for Baja.
If you end up going that route keep searching on line for a while so you have a good idea of what a good price is and always shop for the best condition, heavy use and fixer uppers are rarely a good deal unless there is vintage value.
Tons of great advice from every one, I guess it ends with what capabilities and comforts you need or are willing to sacrifice :cool:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.