Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: humboldt squid
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 07:07 AM

I came across this one right in front of Alfonsina's. Severely attacked, head almost severed:

carpe diem!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 07:25 AM

Left coast dinner! 2008

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by woody with a view]

Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 09:28 AM

Calamari. Saw another panga fisherman with a 4 to 5 foot one offshore on a visit to Shari & Juan's place. He held it up to show it off as we motored past. Damn I was jealous, still am. We had a great day with small bottom fish, no yellowtail (very late in the season on that trip) great weather, fantastic people, but no big squid.

I should have made him a generous offer and had a garlic butter calamari steak for dinner/breakfast and tried it in a taco too.

Ah, those missed opportunities we gather over time....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 10:40 AM

The collage below shows the squid we would commonly come across almost every time we were deep-water fishing....like yo-yoing for yellowtail (jurel) or with bait. We always kept a couple squid for the table, and also to use for cut-bait. Cut bait from squid is some of the best bait you can use for just about anything finny...and also other squid! Very prolific and active, they can also wear you out if you let them.

Hah..it's always a hoot to take out novices for their first squid catch and initiation. It's a 'right of passage'. You cheer your friend on while he is pumping and reeling the big squid to the boat..knowing full well he wll soon be squirted with a jetting pailful of water from the thrusting squid that's trying to pull away..and then right at the boat...your buddy wil give that last pump and reel... and..Whoosh!..a surprise and a quick shower.....and if you are lucky, nobody gets inked!

Never being suicidal, we intentionally avoid swimming with them!

Here's another way to catch Humboldt squid...wrestle them on the beach?? Hey, why not. This is from a post by Nomad Airmech ..BOLA in 2008. Great job of barehanding a live squid!

[Edited on 3-1-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-1-2015 at 10:42 AM

when life gives you squid, make calamari!

imagine surfing right as the sun is going down and noticing what look like small seals zooming past your feet while you sit there waiting for a wave. after catching one and seeing a few squid beaching themselves you start to question the wisdom of sitting on your board with you feet dangling! more dinner options!

BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 01:34 PM
SOC Swimming

Just when I was thinking it would be a good idea to spend some time swimming every day around Gonzaga or Bay of LA to rehab from a leg injury, I find this out.

Damn it. Where can I find a shark suit?!

Then again, if that's how I am to die, I guess it was just my time...hah
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2015 at 02:25 PM

One day we stopped to explore on a beach near El Barril and found many squid cruising along in about 2' of water. We grabbed a few and tossed them up on the beach for bait and dinner. I grabbed a really big one at one point and it slipped out of my hands and fell back in the water...it then squared off with me and had it's tentacles spread out and facing me! It jetted forward (toward me) and I fell back in the water while trying to get away! Scared the hell out of me for a few seconds!!! They can move just as fast forward as backward...:o

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
JohnMcfrog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 07:52 AM

I used to spend a month a year in Korea on business. I ate local and my favorite dish was fried squid. It was about 5 or 6 dollars in the place a block from my hotel. I tried this recipe last night and it was close to the real thing:
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/ojinguh-bokkeum
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 09:05 AM

On my first trip out of San Felipe on the Tony Reyes the first mate gave us a lesson on why you must wear closed toed shoes when a Humbolt is on deck. He cut off a tentacle and placed it in front of the same squid. It was completely devoured in less than 15 minutes.

Bob Durrell
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 09:26 AM

Over the years I have used squid for bait both dead and aliveand eaten some as well but these were little guys ,seen some at BOLA that were fair size but nothing like we ran into while drifting one morning,things were a little slow and we were in the channel between Danzante and Carmen, I drop some iron over the side deep, while yoyoing I hook this thing felt strange,get it along side and my god its a sea monster,first its the fountain effect,then the ink attack,Poor Dave grabs the thing and it grabs back!!!!!!!
The people in Loreto I,m sure could hear us first thing you know its in the boat with us and Dave is yelling get this #$%^& off me, now keep in mind the boat is 12 ft long two grown men 5 or 6 fishing poles tackle boxes life jackets and one very stressed out monster squid, its grabbing everything in site, looked like it was trying to eat Dave,s face,I had to laugh,wish I had a tape of the whole thing.

With only a foot or so of freeboard its eye ball to eye ball with that thing,my bud had never seen a squid up close and personal so it was a whole new thing for him,he,s yelling looking for help from me,no thanks but I do tell him to look out for the beak " what beak":lol: we were most lucky to get rid of him without sinking the boat.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-10-2015 at 01:42 AM
Squid disable research submersible

Yikes! Yet another scary squid story... This one from the Bering Sea.

http://greenpeaceblogs.org/2014/10/13/story-behind-greenpeac...

PS: a group of squid is called a "shoal."

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.