BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some Help For Old Baja Dogs who hurt -- (furry ones)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 08:44 PM
Some Help For Old Baja Dogs who hurt -- (furry ones)

Laser Treatment --- we highly recommend it.

At 13 year old after many years of tearing up the sand in Baja and the mountains in the US, Tommy Dog is full of arthritis and was becoming more interested in either soaking in an ice cold creek or lake, and staying in bed when at home. He seldom even wanted to chase a cat out of the yard.

We had heard about laser treatment for dogs and read a lot of good things about it so when our local wonderful vet decided to, as she said, bite the bullet and pay for the equipment so she could help her own dogs and her patients, we were more than willing to give it a try.

We are so happy we did. It takes a few treatments to see a difference, and it is a really good difference. Will it turn the clock back? No, will it cure the arthritis? No. But it relieves the pain and improves mobility, so with that, it has changed his whole attitude toward life; he is much happier and enjoying life more. We will continue with the maintenance treatments as he and his happiness are so worth it to us.

Here is Tommy in his Doggles and his favorite tech giving him the treatment. I snapped this with my phone. He now loves it so much, that he kicks back and snores away.

And yesterday we explored some local dirt roads so we could scratch up our new truck, find a road we knew went somewhere that came to a dead end, and then wandered around some of the protected volcanic area just south of town. Tommy was so much more interested in everything than he has been for a while. He moves so much better, and is just enjoying life more. He even climbs into the car on his own once again --- the truck is just to high.

Seeing this makes us smile. He is also once again interested in which critters invade his yard; his entire attitude is younger!

Yes, we have spent a lot of money on our fur babies over the last few years, with knee surgeries, chemo and radiation for our Maggie, and now laser for Tom --- oh, he is having a what we hope will be a minor surgery this week. --- good thing we have invested well in Real Estate and the Stock Market! :biggrin:

Anyone interested, do google it. For us, the improvement in the quality of his life, improves the quality of our lives. He is ready to attack Baja again!

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by DianaT]

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 08:55 PM

Interesting- haven't heard of this before.
Is it commonly available in US and Baja? Do you need a diagnosis of arthritis or hip dysplasia or...?

(Poodle is 12, and is still pretty limber/playful- but in a few years...)

thanks!

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 09:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Interesting- haven't heard of this before.
Is it commonly available in US and Baja? Do you need a diagnosis of arthritis or hip dysplasia or...?

(Poodle is 12, and is still pretty limber/playful- but in a few years...)

thanks!

It has become more and more common in the US and as far as I know, there is no absolute diagnosis needed to receive the treatment. Good vets can tell just by the crackle if the arthritis is there and also really trust what the owners say is hapening with their animals. Google for lots of information.

Laser treatment was originally used on humans with good success. It is still used on humans at some clinics and physical therapy centers, but insurance will not pay for it, so it is not used that often. It is just like insurance not paying for other alternative health care like acupuncture with is also very effective for pain in humans and animals.

The first I ever heard about it was when the picture of Schoep and John went viral --- check out the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Schoep.and.John

This is a U=tube, that yes, is an advertisement, but also very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-i-FQHwQo

And another facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/CompanionTherapy

Lots more info on google. Trust me, John is always far more skeptical than I am about things and he is amazed that he really sees the difference in Tommy. He was really ready to see it as a big waste of money! Now, he is just as committed as I am to continue.

As far as Baja goes, I have no idea if it is available there.

DebMer

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 09:35 PM

Food grade diatomaceous earth is also great for reducing arthritis pain by reducing inflammation. I'm thinking that adding it to your doggy's diet could increase well-being even more. I take it myself, and have no more knee pain, and we give it to my daughter's 22 year old horse, who came to us as a starving, malnutritioned rescue. He has plenty of spring in his step now. It has many other benefits, too. I don't know if you have access to it in Baja, but we get ours at the local feed store. It must be food grade in order to be safe. Earthworkshealth.com has pages on human use and pet use, as well as its uses as an organic pest control. (The insects do not die from toxicity; it's not a poison. The page explains how it controls insects.)
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 09:36 PM
COOL !!

Thanks DianaT

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by captkw]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 10:10 PM

My best friend turned 15 in November, and had been losing mobility and nerve function due to an arthritic spine. I was already giving her Rimadyle for the arthritis.
While I was visiting in Pescadero, she tried to climb a steep, narrow stairway and fell about eight feet when she attempted to turn around. Her back legs failing is what caused the fall, but she then had problems with her front legs as well.
It was a long uncomfortable drive back north for her (after vet treatments in Todos Santos and La Paz) but she continued to lose mobility after the road trip was over.
I took her to my CA veterinarian in Grass valley, who recommended acupuncture, and laser treatments. The acupuncture amazed me with the instant improvement in her condition, she was wagging her tail for the first time in weeks!
I realize that her condition will continue to degenerate, but for now, she is a lot more comfortable and we have a little more time together.

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
My best friend turned 15 in November, and had been losing mobility and nerve function due to an arthritic spine. I was already giving her Riadyle for the arthritis.
While I was visiting in Pescadero, she tried to climb a steep, narrow stairway and fell about eight feet when she attempted to turn around. Her back legs failing is what caused the fall, but she then had problems with her front legs as well.
It was a long uncomfortable drive back north for her (after vet treatments in Todos Santos and La Paz) but she continued to lose mobility after the road trip was over.
I took her to my CA veterinarian in Grass valley, who recommended acupuncture, and laser treatments. The acupuncture amazed me with the instant improvement in her condition, she was wagging her tail for the first time in weeks!
I realize that her condition will continue to degenerate, but for now, she is a lot more comfortable and we have a little more time together.

Yes, that extra quality is so great! I am really happy your fur baby is feeling a lot better! If we had acupuncture available here, we would be there along with the laser. None of it can turn back the clock, but as you say, there is more time together and it is quality time.

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 10:40 PM

We have a wonderful 14-year-old mutt; about two years ago her arthritis was getting so bad that she was having trouble getting up in the morning or after a good run. Rimadyl helped some, but her stamina and mobility continued to decline. We put her on omega-3 fish oil and glucosamine supplements (1000mg and 1500mg/day, respectively, for a 60-lb dog), and it has been really helpful. She still gets tired and a little stiff/shaky after a run, but when the fishing is on, she will go for hours on the beach. We have not had a repeat of the awful struggling and yelping trying to get out of bed, even when she's way overrun her limits - and this is two years down the road.

I'm glad to hear that there are other treatment options if/when we need them, though.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 10:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
We have a wonderful 14-year-old mutt; about two years ago her arthritis was getting so bad that she was having trouble getting up in the morning or after a good run. Rimadyl helped some, but her stamina and mobility continued to decline. We put her on omega-3 fish oil and glucosamine supplements (1000mg and 1500mg/day, respectively, for a 60-lb dog), and it has been really helpful. She still gets tired and a little stiff/shaky after a run, but when the fishing is on, she will go for hours on the beach. We have not had a repeat of the awful struggling and yelping trying to get out of bed, even when she's way overrun her limits - and this is two years down the road.

I'm glad to hear that there are other treatment options if/when we need them, though.

Tommy is also on those supplements and they are GOOD. Before we go hiking anywhere, we always give him a shot of Metacam--- another Doggie pain killer. And we were also happy to find out that there were more options as things progressed. Now where is that pill to keep them going to about 35!

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 11:05 PM

Good for you!!!! Great pics!

Are you in Owens Valley? Those mountains look familiar...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
Good for you!!!! Great pics!

Are you in Owens Valley? Those mountains look familiar...

Yes we live in Big Pine right now. :-) GREAT PLACE

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DebMer  
Food grade diatomaceous earth is also great for reducing arthritis pain by reducing inflammation. I'm thinking that adding it to your doggy's diet could increase well-being even more. I take it myself, and have no more knee pain, and we give it to my daughter's 22 year old horse, who came to us as a starving, malnutritioned rescue. He has plenty of spring in his step now. It has many other benefits, too. I don't know if you have access to it in Baja, but we get ours at the local feed store. It must be food grade in order to be safe. Earthworkshealth.com has pages on human use and pet use, as well as its uses as an organic pest control. (The insects do not die from toxicity; it's not a poison. The page explains how it controls insects.)

Thanks, I will check that out. When we lived at the beach, we used diatomaceous for flea control in the yard, but I had not heard about using it for arthritis!

DebMer

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Quote: Originally posted by DebMer  

Thanks, I will check that out. When we lived at the beach, we used diatomaceous for flea control in the yard, but I had not heard about using it for arthritis!

I consider it quite miraburrous. A friend who started taking it was able to cancel her upcoming knee surgeries. This was 4 or 5 years ago, and her knees are still good. In myself, aside from no knee pain, I've noticed steadier energy and less fatigue at the end of the day. It's speculated that it stabilizes blood sugar, among other benefits.
ETA: Why does this nutty board keep changing my word m-i-r-a-c-u-l-o-u- s to mirraburrous?!!!
[Edited on 3-15-2015 by DebMer]

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by DebMer]
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 02:32 PM

Ha! Deb, I'm afraid c-u-l-o was caught by the crazy nomads autocorrect. Thanks for giving me a laugh, though. Miraburros!
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 03:10 PM
This is a test:

I wonder if Doo Doo is a flagged word. Doggies do it. Mine even did it in Baja.:o
DebMer

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 10:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Ha! Deb, I'm afraid c-u-l-o was caught by the crazy nomads autocorrect. Thanks for giving me a laugh, though. Miraburros!

Bwa ha ha!!! :lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.