Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: First post
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:16 AM

Thanks for the nice welcome Don. Ay mucho gente amable on the forum.;)

I wonder how many of us are retired in Mexico. Anyone care to venture a guess>:?:

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBean  

I wonder how many of us are retired in Mexico. Anyone care to venture a guess>:?:

You say "us", but you're still in Hemet, correct?, in which case you belong to the large group of folks here that contribute most of the "Baja insights" but are only occasional visitors to our neck of the woods.
Percentage wise I don't believe more than 20% actually make their home here and I like for other Nomads to comment on this.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 08:54 AM

You are correct vandenberg. When I said "us" I meant us North Americans but then I realized I had mistakenly included myself in the baja retired group. Mea Culpa.

I also would like for other Nomads to comment.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBean  
Can you live on SS in Mexico. I met a guy in La Paz who claimed he was living on 1500 a month. This was about 5 years ago.

I have been doing it for 10 years now with my NEW wife and we have a nice 4br, 3 bath house overlooking the bay. Own the house outright but pay $1500/ year to rent the lot.

Front Yard

Bob Durrell
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 3-24-2015 at 10:31 AM

That is a beautiful yard and setting, Bob! Sometimes adversity can land a person in Paradise. Ten years now...looks like you've got it made.:bounce:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 11:05 AM
5 pages and counting, nice first post!

All right, I'll play! This isn't even a hijack since the author steered me this way.
I love Mexico, either on the tropical mainland coast, the mountains, or on the arid Baja peninsula! I could live comfortably S.O.B. on my pension and SS, and could see myself being happy doing it except for three things.
A Baja winter is about as warm as I ever need to be. I grew up in Northern CA, but I can't handle the heat there anymore, so since 1980 I have enjoyed Alaskan summers. I will be there from May through late Sept or October for at least a few more years.
I enjoy touring and exploring new places in MX, but skiing has always been a big part of my life, and barring a serious injury or health issue, that won't change. Skiing sucks in Mexico, and heading north for snow instead of south for beaches doesn't work for me.
The third reason for being located N.O.B., is that I have property near Grass Valley CA that my grandfather bought, that is both a legacy and a project that I am working on. It is close to great Skiing, and in the spring, fall, and drought winters, I can work on grading and forest management that I won't do in the summer heat.
If my knees or back give out, I may consider being an ex-pat, but for now, I just want to visit.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 04:25 PM

I am green with envy Bob. I have camped on the beach at La Costilla South of Puertocitos for two weeks at a time, fishing every day and eating the catch. Nothing like fresh fish.

AK I have tried skiing and went snowmobiling in Driggs Idaho in Dec. at 22 below. Hate the cold. I am a desert rat having grown up in inland Southern Cal. In addition I suffer from Reynauds syndrome.

Signs and symptoms of Raynaud's depend on the frequency, duration and severity of the blood vessel spasms that underlie the disorder. Raynaud's disease signs and symptoms include:

Cold fingers or toes
Color changes in your skin in response to cold or stress
Numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or stress relief
During an attack of Raynauds, affected areas of your skin usually first turn white. Then, the affected areas often turn blue and feel cold and numb. As you warm and circulation improves, the affected areas may turn red, throb, tingle or swell. The order of the color changes isnt the same for everyone, and not everyone experiences all three colors.

Although Raynauds most commonly affects your fingers and toes, the condition can also affect other areas of your body, such as your nose, lips, ears and even nipples. After warming, it may take 15 minutes for normal blood flow to return to the area.

An attack usually follows contact with a cold object.
When I was a carpenter even in the relatively balmy winters of California, the instant i touched a cold skillsaw my whole hand would go white and numb. Give me heat. Four years in northern Utah was misery.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-24-2015 at 05:58 PM
Cold carpentry

From 1983 through 1985 I worked for SOHIO as a carpenter at their Prudho Bay operations. The coldest I had to endure was -56 Fahrenheit actual temperature.
We were building a scaffold and weather protection for some pipe fitters to change out a valve that HAD to be replaced right then! To describe what the work was like would be too much of a hijack, but for what they were paying at the time, I was smiling under that ski mask!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2015 at 08:11 AM

I cannot imagine what it would be like just being outside in minus 56 degrees much less trying to work. I doff my chapeau to you AK. They say hell is not hot it is cold.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.