Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Summer Reading Group
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-7-2015 at 06:54 AM
Baja Summer Reading Group

I always bring a 'good' book with me and most of the time, I don't even get past the first few pages. Anyone else have this problem?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 07:06 AM

Not me. I do my best reading in baja.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 07:20 AM

Ain't that the truth!! I'm definitely buying a back-lit Kindle for my next trip so I can get rid of the headlight.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 07:30 AM

i compiled my 3 ring binder with about 40 of Osprey's stories and hit the shady area under the salt pine trees all week!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 09:35 AM

Summer reading is one of the joys I look forward to. My problem is with the bugs at night, as I sleep outside.

Cute cartoon, Santiago. See you down south?

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:17 AM

No, I also do my best reading when I am in Baja. I finally have the time there to relax and focus on a book without all the interruptions. I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. I love it. It is the size and feel of a paperback, but I don't have to pack a "ton" of heavy books.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-7-2015 at 10:18 AM

Habits change.

40 years ago, I would read a book almost each night. Often having to refill the Coleman lantern so I could finish. The last 20 years or so, hardly any, but I've seen every classic on TMC at least twice.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 07:22 PM

I've had several Kindle's. Love them. You can carry 1,000 books in your pocket and you pants wont even fall down.
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-8-2015 at 11:19 PM

But I miss the feel of a real book. I still bring down newer paperbacks to trade out as I go down the peninsula. Course my kindle does come in handy when I need to save space and weight, but it's not as satisfying and I still haven't gotten the hang of turning pages on my Kindle Fire. Very frustrating when you have no sense of touch in your fingertips.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 06:41 AM

4Cata,
I agree with you, there's nothing like a real book. I too have a kindle, one of the first, so it's not backlit and glare can be an issue. I usually take a grocery sack of paperbacks down for the summer. My biggest problem when I open the book cupboard has been trying to remember which ones I've already read. Now I sign my name on the front inside cover to let me know. I like to pass books on, and smile when I get one from a friends collection only to open it up to see my name already in it.
Also, there's nothing like the smell of a real book.
Since we're on the subject, does anyone have suggestions for a reading list this summer?

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 07:40 AM

I like to read non-fiction, mostly history. I often find books to read when an author of the book I'm reading references another book or by looking at the bibliography. Talking to people also leads to new books/authors. In other words, I buy books as I go along and it's practically impossible to buy traditional books in Baja.

With my Kindle, the WiFi only model, I just find a hotspot and download a new book in a couple of minutes. Also, I usually download the current edition of my favorite newspaper whenever I come across a WiFi hotspot. We always stay close to Mulege and go there once a week to shop and read email, so that's where I download.

There are other advantages too. eBooks are cheaper, lighter to hold, faster to read, and no pulp mills or ink required, no waste generated. Plus my personal library is now cloud based, always there wherever I am.

I think eBooks and eBook readers are wonderful inventions.

[Edited on 6-9-2015 by SFandH]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 07:59 AM

The sign of a good Baja trip is coming back with books that still haven't been opened. Must mean you were just consumed by the Baja and had no time for libros.

Or it just means you weren't down there long enough...................

I'm reading a book about evolution right now by Richard Dawkins. Planning on finishing it on the beaches of San Juanico soon............
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 08:24 AM

I read a lot in the past, but seldom get around to starting a novel, or non fiction any more. I am jealous that Woody has a collection of Osprey's work, his short stories and character developments would suit my short attention span just right!
I always look forward to his contributions to this board.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 09:58 AM

After resisting it for a long time, I now have a Kindle. It is definitely a good thing to have down here where English books are hard to come by. But I'm with Paulina and 4Cata - there is nothing like a real book, but the Kindle does have its place.

I just finished reading Bill Bryson's "One Summer in America - 1927" a really interesting read about the events of the time. Lots about Babe Ruth and baseball, Lindbergh's flight and what was happening in aviation at the time, prohibition/Al Capone, the Sacco and Vanzetti trial, appearance of talking movies...........etc.........
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 11:40 AM

After watching "To Kill A Mockingbird" on TCM again, I am prompted to re-read the written classic from my bookcase. Diddling with Google, I was saddened, but not surprised, to learn that it had been put on a list of 'banned or challenged' books in some schools and public libraries. What nonsense!

It's a great read about America's conscience coming of age.

I've tried out the early Kindles, but like some have said, it gets the job done efficiently, but it just doesn't have the personality of a real book.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2015 at 12:07 PM

Totally agree Pompano! - "To Kill a Mockingbird" (both book and film) is on my top 10 list of all time great books and films.

bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2015 at 10:49 AM

Beyond God's Middle Finger . . .

Addicted to Richard Grant, I just sunk my teeth into Crazy River.

One answer for you my friend, Paulina.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.