BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: starting a small business ????
barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 07:07 AM
starting a small business ????

I have a small hot dog stand that I would like to set up somewhere in the Baja.Not sure where yet since im 2 years away from getting a retirement check.I plan on hiring a locale to run the stand so that im not taking a job from anyone. Can someone give me advise on the rules for starting a business and where you think this hot dog /taco stand would work best?? Really like the Bahia Asuncion area but open to suggestion.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 07:13 AM

Contact the Mexican consulate and get the facts on how to obtain a working visa with your resident visa.

My hunch is if there was a market for a hot dog stand in any area, there would already be a Mexican with one (or several) there? However, best of luck to you, let us know how the visa paperwork process goes.

I heard that any work performed in Mexico by a foreigner requires the work visa, even volunteer work, because even that could be considered robbing a local of his needed income.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 07:19 AM

hahaha...that is really funny that you should mention Asuncion as there are more hot dog stands than I can shake a stick at here. The bacon wrapped hot dogs are very very popular with locals who dont generally eat in restaurants but will eat at a stand.

But as trends do...this one is dwindling as several new hamburger stands have popped up in the last months as well as a couple new taco stands that feature birria and adobado...boy things are really progressing here right!

I was just thinking on my walk this morning how happy I am that I can now buy frozen berries here in town...not to mention spinach and ice cream!!!! Things are definitely looking up...now about those organic veggies and sesame blue chips....sigh.

...but I digress...which is pretty normal. OK so starting a small business is not impossible but it is very complicated with registering with the Hacienda for your RFC, getting hooked up with electronic facturas and an accountant, getting permits from the appropriate authorities. Do your homework as to your market unless you dont care about losing money that is.

My daughter did pretty well at her little sushi, fish & chip and pizza stand down by the beach...hey, the tide pool bistro is sitting there waiting for some entrepreneur to open her up again!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 07:22 AM

Weenie stands everywhere. Good yuck.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:04 AM

400 pesos, right?
I have Mexican friends who run stands with a very small mark up. Running one as an absently owner,... you will be luckly to cover expenses, insurance, ss, and the other employee benefits. Running it yourself, you may make a small profit. Lots of hoops to set up, but not difficult with the correct visa.

barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:07 AM

thank you all for all those quick reply's.Maybe I,ll just leave the hot dog stand @ home (ha-ha).I was just so fed up with the burocracy and never ending inspections by government inspectors here, that just maybe I could avoid them all in Mexico but I suppose that was wishful thinking??
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:11 AM

A friend just bought a bar in El Golfo de Santa Clara. Alot of time was spent with a Mexican lawyer to make sure everything was legit. The whole process was quite lengthy.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:25 AM

Regarding the "never ending inspections" here in the USA............a funny story from the other day at work................

I arrived on site and introduced myself to the store employee, who kind of treated me like a POS, even though I'm working for HIS boss to keep HIS boss' butt out of trouble with the local agencies.

Anyways, the guy points at me and all my paper work and says, "We don't have any of this BS back in MY country!!!"

Being the nice conversational guy that I am, I asked him which country that was.

"Syria".

I was gonna ask him how it was going over there but figured that would be rude.

Syria, the most business friendly country on Earth!!!??!!!

Anyways, back on topic, good luck with the hot dog stand.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 08:30 AM

If Syria is so awesome, why is he here working at a gas station? LOL Thanks for the laugh Jon.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 09:31 AM

So....if those wanting less bureaucracy get their way....the US would be like Syria with local and tribal (militia) squabbles ?

Don't believe everything you think....
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 10:00 AM

No Ged, but we would have more hot dog stands :)

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 10:04 AM

I have not found hotdog stands with high quality bratwurtz, saurkrawt and the like in baja. It could be a niche opportunity.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 10:20 AM

How available are chili dogs in Baja?
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 10:55 AM

step 1 marry a Mexican girl
step 2 let her get all the paperwork in her name
step 3 set up the stand
step 4 go fishing while she runs the stand
step 5 occasionally stand around drinking beer and eating hot dogs and BS with the customers.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
How available are chili dogs in Baja?

i have seen the dogs get chilled in winter, on cold days. this time of year it is hot and the dogs are usually in the shade panting, not looking very chili. :lol::lol::lol:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 11:18 AM

you nailed it Slyonce

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 11:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
you nailed it Slyonce

X2:light:

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 11:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SlyOnce  
step 3 set up the stand
step 5 occasionally stand around drinking beer and eating hot dogs and BS with the customers.

Sounds like a great retirement plan,
if you did not have one before now.
ehall
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 03:46 PM

step 3 set up the stand

Pure genius
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2015 at 04:19 PM

step 3 set up the stand

Do you think that would work the same way if I married a Mexican boy? probably not...bummer

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.