Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PEMEX CREDIT CARD FRAUD
El Comadante Loco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 10:36 AM
PEMEX CREDIT CARD FRAUD

In May during one of my many trips to San Felipe I stopped for gas at the Pemex just south to the large Rocodile sign on the road leading to the El Dorado houses west of the hi way.
To make a long story short I used my credit card and ended up with two charges. One for a fraud charge of 1000 pesos, and my actual charge of 907 pesos. The attendant double swiped my card and I was watching. I have used credit cards in Mexico for years without any incident but this is was first experience with fraud in Mexico.

I found this double charge and informed my credit card holder, Chase. My experience with Chase only added insult to injury.
I received a letter from Chase which gave me less than 3 actual days to respond in writing to the vendors claim that both charges were valid. Again, I was in San Felipe when the Chase letter came to my home and I was already a day late in responding. I called Chase immediately but was told matter of fact that I had missed the dead line to respond and that the charge would stand. As proof the vendor submitted both signed receipts which were so grossly different that any idiot could tell one was a fraud. I pointed this out to the agent who was also looking at the receipts, again I was told the deadline to respond had passed.

Needless to say I had a fit, demanded to speak to a supervisor but there was none to be found. I told the agent I was a long time Chase card holder with substantial yearly expenditures and since I was treated so poorly I would just cancel my card. I was put on hold when the agent came back she informed me that she would speak to a supervisor, but earlier there were none to be found, and was positive the charge would be reversed.

Yesterday a received a letter from Chase informing me that I was responsible for the fraudulent charge. I exploded, but in the same pile of mail was another card informing me the charge had been reversed.

I do not know who is worse the PEMEX or Chase, they both rip you off...

Beware of the PEMEX south of the Rocodile sign

Beware of Chase

I for one will no longer purchase any gas there.

BEWARE
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 10:55 AM

Sorry for the raw deal Rudy!

Let's just stick to using cash at Pemex... at least for a while longer!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 01:50 PM

Pemex has been staffed by crooks since 1974 maybe b/f but that was my first year to Baja:mad::mad:
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 01:57 PM

It is hard to believe anyone associated with Pemex would commit an act of fraud or scam anyone,LOL

I would cancel the Chase card anyway.......Go to Schwab Bank and all fees are reimbursed each month...

I hear the whales song
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 02:08 PM

Weird, I've had Chase forever and lately been getting fraudulent charges ... I call them up and they reimburse me no questions asked. Problem is that they cancel my card and sometimes it takes a week to get to me. I've heard a lot of people having issues with big banks but I just have low expectations I guess.

Its weird because it seems like if the card was swiped so close together time-wise, they would have seen it was an error.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 03:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Comadante Loco  
In May during one of my many trips to San Felipe I stopped for gas at the Pemex just south to the large Rocodile sign on the road leading to the El Dorado houses west of the hi way.
To make a long story short I used my credit card and ended up with two charges. One for a fraud charge of 1000 pesos, and my actual charge of 907 pesos. The attendant double swiped my card and I was watching. I have used credit cards in Mexico for years without any incident but this is was first experience with fraud in Mexico.

I've been with Chase a long time. If the above were my experience, I'd cancel the account immediately. Go with Charles Schwabb.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 04:12 PM

CASH CASH CASH

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Weird, I've had Chase forever and lately been getting fraudulent charges ... I call them up and they reimburse me no questions asked. Problem is that they cancel my card and sometimes it takes a week to get to me. I've heard a lot of people having issues with big banks but I just have low expectations I guess.

Its weird because it seems like if the card was swiped so close together time-wise, they would have seen it was an error.

Absolutely agree. I've had at least a couple of times when my Chase card was used fraudulently, but I always learn about it via phone call from their security department. They have never made me pay for a fraudulent charge. And if there actually was two swipes for the same charges, especially outside the US, they most likely would not have honored both charges.
treuboff
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2015 at 08:46 PM

Chase private client and Capital One has no international charges. Could be they didn't see card took the first time and they swiped it twice. Has happened to me in the US. How could the cashier benefit from a double fuel charge? by getting gas after you left?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 12:09 AM

On the other hand Chase had a 3 day money back policy which you didn't follow. If they were up front about it, why the anger?
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 02:17 AM

Not only CASH CASH CASH but always check to see the pump has been reset to zero! Another little occasional scam.

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 03:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
CASH CASH CASH

AND MORE CASH:light:
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 06:01 AM

Pesos

...PESOS.

........PESOS !!!!!

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 07:02 AM

On several occasions in Mulege, downtown, I have been asked about using Credit cards. At least twice after I suggested getting PESOS from the ATM people responded that they didn't have any REAL money and were travelling on Credit cards...Go figure.....

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 08:35 AM

CREDIT UNION

support your community credit union!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 11:08 AM

PESOS and MORE PESOS...never any problems.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
On several occasions in Mulege, downtown, I have been asked about using Credit cards. At least twice after I suggested getting PESOS from the ATM people responded that they didn't have any REAL money and were travelling on Credit cards...Go figure.....

The one problem with cash versus credit cards is that if you are the unfortunate victim of a robbery, you will obviously lose all your cash. Yet, if they take your credit cards, you have recourse, so you will not have to pay for fraudulent charges.

Over the decades that I have driven down Baja, I have become comfortable with bringing a certain amount of US dollars, getting pesos at the ATM by the Maneadero turn off, and using credit cards at many of the hotels we frequent, as well as some restaurants in tourist areas.

Truth be told, one can drive down to Cabo and back without ever having to carry pesos. Small merchants and food vendors in particular, love to get dollars, but may try to game you with the exchange rate. Hence, carry some pesos.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.