BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I was just following orders..honest.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 09:15 AM
I was just following orders..honest.

I know how to take orders from the Admiral.

Especially when you are given... The Look

"It's getting very warm. Where are you going with your buddies this time? Do you think you can remember to bring back another fan for the casa?"

No problema, sweetie. I hope you like this color?

The moral and the end of this story is:

A fisherman's life is fraught with danger.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 11:09 AM

:light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 01:19 PM

As we age we are sometime confused by the instructions we receive. I think you may have confused the voices from your tackle box with the Admiral this time.;)

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pompano  
I know how to take orders from the Admiral.

Especially when you are given... The Look

"It's getting very warm. Where are you going with your buddies this time? Do you think you can remember to bring back another fan for the casa?"

No problema, sweetie. I hope you like this color?

The moral and the end of this story is:

A fisherman's life is fraught with danger.

[Edited on 7-17-2015 by Pompano]

that look is commonly referred to as the " sink eye"

I think all males know that look very well
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 01:59 PM

A wife asks her husband “when you come back from fishing could you please go shopping for me and buy one carton of milk, and if they have eggs, get 6?”

A short time later the husband comes back with 6 cartons of milk and his wife asks, “Why did you buy 6 cartons of milk?”

He replies, “They had eggs.”............ :lol:
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 03:49 PM

Hi Roger from Estero beach, love your stories about the bay and I have stumbled home more then once from the jungle.We stayed in Santispac for a couple night on the way up, A/C a must bit still great place. Back in the 70's we stayed at Posada and Herman had great looking daughter I think she was married to an airline pilot. We would run into her and her brother in Orange county now and then. What ever happened to her? All the best and thanks again for all the great pics. Cliff and Carol
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2015 at 04:11 PM

Math made simple:
You have $20 in your pocket,
Your wife has $5 in her pocket..
Your wife has $25...

just thinkin outside the box now...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
BajaBean
Junior Nomad

Mood: Garboso

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 09:22 AM

I thought it was called the "stink eye":?:

The opposite of love is not hate. It is indifference.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cliffh  
Hi Roger from Estero beach, love your stories about the bay and I have stumbled home more then once from the jungle.We stayed in Santispac for a couple night on the way up, A/C a must bit still great place. Back in the 70's we stayed at Posada and Herman had great looking daughter I think she was married to an airline pilot. We would run into her and her brother in Orange county now and then. What ever happened to her? All the best and thanks again for all the great pics. Cliff and Carol

Hola Cliff & Carol,

Yes, who can forget the girl you're talking about? Over the years I've met many Baja veterans who always ask me if I ever met or saw that beauty with the shining smile who ran a grocery store by Posada in Conception Bay? Indeed, I said I did..and the great recollections would begin..like now. Even in this fuzzy photo you can see Marlene's great smile. What a charmer she was for Baja tourism.

I'm glad I'm able to provide you with some history and personal accounts. Forgive me if I get carried away, but it is subject dear to my heart...

Sr. Herman and Sra. Nena Morante had two daughters...Roxanne and Marlene, and a son Herman Jr. Rozanne married and moved to Yuma, Arizona as I recall..and incidentally was a suberb tennis player. Marlene was good also, but Roxanne was a real competitor. Indeed, it was these two who first got me started playing tennis...at the Posada court.

Marlene was a beautiful young lady who met scuba-diver Brian Bradley on a ferry trip from Guaymas. They fell in love and married. Later they had a son who they named Geraldo. Together Marlene and Brian originated and operated a general store/dive shop on the highway across from the Posada Inn entrance and tennis court. I remember meeting them several times when we were all diving the same rocks for langosta by Pt. Conception. They lived in a cozy hillside rock home next to Posada. Marlene and Brian seperated and divorced within a couple years. Brian returning to the USA and Marlene continuing running the general store, but discontinued the diving business. Now we had to find another place to fill our dive tanks...which was the original Mulege Divers ran by that great couple, Claudia y Miguel.

This is the day I introduced some old amigos to Marlene at her store. Blackjack and wife, Lois...two members of several Earl Stanley Gardner early Baja exploration trips. Blackjack was the ramrod and troubleshooter for 'Uncle Earl', as he called him.

Marlene enjoyed some great times fishing, diving, and taking desert trips for things like arrowheads, mining artifacts near Sta. Rosalia, and similar collecter items. She was very talented at spotting arrowheads on walks. Saturday evenings at the Serinadad Pig Roats were great times with dancing and conversations with Baja friends like John Sturges, a neighbor of Marlene's. She was a good guitar player and singer, also. I recall this ballad she often sang...'The ballad of a thousand bullets'. Back then most of our entertainment was homemade...with many good voices and instruments mixed in the woodsmoke of a beachside campfire. Truly great times.

Along about 1979, Marlene met and married the pilot you mentioned. Carlos was Argentine and flew left seat for United Airlines. They continued the hillside home at Posada for some time. I remember they joined a few of us on an overnight shrimp boat charter I had arranged. Was quite an event watching the shrimping operation while having a fresh camarón
grande dinner that was just pulled out of the depths.

I believe Carlos and Marlene divorced later. Marlene moved to California and, among other things, became active in teaching Sunday School classes. The last time we met was at a Posada beach swap meet around 1988 or so. Thanks for asking about her and am glad to refresh your memory. For myself, I need no reminding of such a great Baja gal. My best wishes to her today.

[Edited on 7-19-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-18-2015 at 12:52 PM

wonderful history... thanks for asking/sharing

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 09:45 AM

Thank you Roger, great times and history Cliff and Carol
EXEDE GUY

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 10:03 AM

OK
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 12:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by EXEDE GUY  
OK

Exede guy
Welcome to Baja Nomads. Check your U2U in the upper right corner.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-19-2015 at 03:34 PM

Ol' Fred and his CIC were watching TV the other night, and he says to her, "Wouldja like a bowl of ice cream, dear?"

"Sure!" She said. "And don't forget the nuts and sprinkles this time."

"Yes, sugar puddin', I'll get the nuts and sprinkles. Chocky syrup too?"

"Of course, and a cherry, if you please.... and WRITE IT DOWN. You always forget unless you write it down!"

"Yes, honey pie, I know... every night we have ice cream, you want nuts and sprinkles with chocolate syrup and a cherry on top. Been doin' this for how many years now??" .... And off Fred went to the kitchen.

Twenty minutes later he comes back out with two plates of bacon and eggs. "Oh, for Pete's sake, Fred!" she bellowed. "YOU FORGOT THE TOAST !!"

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.