Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old Dogs
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 07:24 AM
Old Dogs

Old Dogs

Dogs are good pets but short term companions. Life for us and other mammals is very fickle so you never really know who will survive the other. Down here in sleepy little Mexican village we have outlived some of our wonderful pets – mostly they were walk-ons, beach dogs who probably came from a long line of the same. The danger in that line is that dogs eat almost anything they find on the beach and lots of those dead or dying things are bad for livers and spleens and such and over time, I suppose, that diet can weaken the genes.

One of our favorites was a big handsome mix about 60 pounds named Enano (when we could hold him in one hand, the vet announced he would be a small dog). A scroungy female pup came up from the beach, took one look at him and fell in love. She was covered with insects of all kinds, her fur patchy from some kind of fungus but she was happy and determined to be around this house, this family. She planted herself by our gate and there she stayed, day and night – after a while I took her some water and snuck her a little food --- my wife didn’t want the ugly girl around.

After almost two weeks I opened the gate, let her in and announced to my wife that her determination was overwhelming and she deserved a better life. We took her to the vet in San Jose del Cabo who gave her shots, cleaned her up and gave us a bag full of medicine to bring her back to a healthy condition. She fit right in here and responded to the care. She had a winning personality but she was still an ugly little dog who I named Fea.

Fea has survived several other pets who succumbed to internal kinds of cancer. She still lives with us and another dog companion named Tino. Fea is 16 years old and Tino is 12. Determined as Fea is she is reaching the end of her string and now becomes not a just a mascot but an animal who needs end of life care. She is in a state one might call WTD, waiting to die. But, so am I. With that in mind it becomes easier for me to do all the things I can for her to make her last weeks, months, who knows, less fearful, free of pain; preparing for her a soft place to fall.

For almost two years now my routine is to step gingerly over her huge hulk wherever she flops down, rather than kicking or nudging her out of my path. She is given dog treats a couple of times a day, the last of my occasional small bowl of ice cream, loving hugs and pats. Time now not for palliative care; just tender old dog care --- accommodation, consideration and patience.

I’ve always hated the idea of being a burden to my loved ones as I leave. If I die suddenly while I’m still active and willful it will be a blessing but if, like Fea, I live beyond my time I hope my friends and family will remember the example I tried to set with my mascots, hope they step over me rather than kick me out of the way. A little taste of ice cream now and then would be nice.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:02 AM

You are just hoping that there is such a thing as Karma and that this will all come back to you in your old age. But Lynda tells me that as soon as you lie down, in the way, you will probably get a boot. I, on the other hand, will probably bring you ice cream and beer and we can make beer floats.

Robertofox
Junior Nomad

Mood: One more for the ditch !

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:06 AM

Thanks Osprey. I am on my fourth Aussie dog who now is 12. He has slowed down big time now. I have to boost him into the truck by his hind legs. Jumping in is out of the question. Yes, we do things for our four legged companions with out thought. This one has eaten stuff off the beach in Chivato before and I thought I lost him that night! I woke up in the morning with him breathing in my face to let him out. That was a sigh of relief. The other time was when he ate a 6pack of rat poison in the garage back home in San Diego and had to rush him to the hospital for charcoal and other poison care. $1200 later he is playing again. After this one, I think I will be pet-less for a while. (I say that now but......).....bob

Happy Trails....
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:15 AM

You brought tears toy eyes, Jorge. And your story brought memories of all my previous dogs. (I now have a parrot.)

Thanks, buddy!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Robertofox
Junior Nomad

Mood: One more for the ditch !

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:16 AM

Thanks Osprey. I am on my fourth Aussie dog who now is 12. He has slowed down big time now. I have to boost him into the truck by his hind legs. Jumping in is out of the question. Yes, we do things for our four legged companions with out thought. This one has eaten stuff off the beach in Chivato before and I thought I lost him that night! I woke up in the morning with him breathing in my face to let him out. That was a sigh of relief. The other time was when he ate a 6pack of rat poison in the garage back home in San Diego and had to rush him to the hospital for charcoal and other poison care. $1200 later he is playing again. After this one, I think I will be pet-less for a while. (I say that now but......).....bob

Happy Trails....
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:00 AM

Agree with what Udo wrote.

Thanks- sweet story.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:09 AM
El Woof!!

Quote: Originally posted by Osprey  
Old Dogs

Dogs are good pets but short term companions. .......

We still have "Guapo" who we found almost dead in GN a few years ago. He was a mess!!! Blanca and Les loaned us a bucket for the first of many scrubs, we hit the vet in Loreto, and eventually got him North. Bonnie said we should bring him home so he could have a least a little time left with som dignity. He made it and is quite a little firecracker, red long haired Doxie mix. The old guy adds a lot to our lives.

EdZ
San Diego/Borrego Springs
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:54 AM

Dogs have a highly-developed sense of smell, but Mexican dogs have a knack for finding gringos with a soft spot for a wagging tail. Good for you for taking on two of them, both of whom will be tenderly cared for until they head off to that big dog house in the sky.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:12 PM

Nice! We need more people like you in this world :D
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:17 PM

Osprey, I love your writing, it's great. You say it's all fiction, this piece is so close to home it is hard to believe that isn't far from the truth. It sure is close to me. Thanks.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2015 at 07:23 AM

MMC, you remind me that I should have prefaced this little piece to let people know it was a rare non-fiction anecdote. I've got to get back into the habit of the disclaimer.

Fea and Tino are real and are still the joy of my life.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.