Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Donations-UPDATED Nov 19th-fun fun fun
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2015 at 04:48 PM
Donations-UPDATED Nov 19th-fun fun fun

well, I am overwhelmed by generosity this week.

Here is a photo of the beautiful clothes sent by S Woodward:

then Dan and family popped in yesterday and said they had "some" clothes for me. SOME CLOTHES????? holy mackerel, there are so many jeans !!! My kids will be so happy! I am also going to share with a mom who is struggling to make ends meet- she will sell them to provide for her son and herself. Ray will be in the scholarship program next year. They are having a tough year.

Look at the amazing clothes:

and just now I was again blown away by the generosity of a B&B guest Greg who came back this year with boxes and boxes
of goodies that his wife put together for me!

books for the middle schoolers - this has been my dream for years. readers with workpages! I sure wish it was Monday and the week was just starting so I could use these already with the 9th graders.

tons of magazines which I will share with the kindergarten, elementary school and middle schools.

and check it out!!!!! composition books for my 9th graders. Since I no longer teach high school, this is their only chance to really learn English and these composition books will really help:

Somehow THANKS just does not seem adequate. May the good Lord shine his light on the wonderful folks who have gone out of their way to make my dreams come true.

and for the best news yet ...drumroll.....I have found tuition sponsors for all 5 kids involved in this year's college bound group!

Here is a glimpse at these most deserving students and their achievements:

Martha - her dad is a policeman in Punta Abreojos and he had made it very clear that he could not send her to college. We have been working together since August and she is just a wonderful kid - kind and bright:

Her most recent report card - Every number 10 = A:

and this is Martha with her sponsor who has agreed to pay 100% of tuition and living costs once Martha starts her engineering major in Santa Rosalia next Septmeber!!!!!!

This is Olimpia - also brilliant and this week I found a tuition sponsor but she will need $100 monthly to cover food -internet - transportation. No rent as the brother has a place in Ensenada. Future attorney!

straight A's across the board!

Next is Alondra - her dad is a local pastor and this family has helped me in every single project I have ever had. They are generous with the little they have. We found a tuition sponsor - she will need $130 for monthly expenses.

beautiful report card:

and each participating student gets an evaluation from a teacher at the end of every month so that I can monitor them closely - all of them get 100 across the board or they don't get accepted into the program- this was the case with 5 kids from their class this year.

Alberto wants to study renewable resources in santa rosala. His dad is a fisherman at Laguna San Ignacio. This past week also landed him a sponsor for his tuition! yahoooooo!

report card 93% GPA:

monthly evaluation:

and here is a future dentist! Karla Valeria also landed a tuition sponsor last week! She will be studying in Tijuana or Mexicali. Her uncle who is supporting her is a doctor in Abreojos so it must run in the family:

As you can see, I have plenty to be grateful for! Life is BEE YOU TEE FULL.

Now, outside of this year's kids, there are some others who have come to my attention and with whom I could use some help.

Donaldo - studying to be a vet in Mexicali. Parents came to see me last April saying he would have to drop out as they could not support him due to an illness in the family. I send $40 a month to help him get by.

Rommel - studying Business in Ensenada and dad is in prison. No rent and he pays for his own tuition by working summers BUT he needs $40 a month to get by. I have been paying this also.

Cristian - had to drop out of la paz TEC where he was studying architecture. I could only come up with $100 and his tuition was $200. This is a kid who really, really wants to become an architect. I bought him some special art / drawing paper which I found at a garage sale and someone donated some during the year, so this xmas he will get 2 blocks of paper as well as some pencils.

All in all, an amazing last 2 weeks!

This is how I feel: :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 11-20-2015 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 04:44 PM

Way to go Blanca. People NOB have no idea all the things that they have which thy take for granted. Mucho kudos to you for caring so much for these kids - I can only imagine how many of these fine young people will have a better life becuase of your efforts.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2015 at 08:10 PM

:biggrin: thank you ElCap! your donated laptop is one of the gifts this xmas!

Today I went to all the schools and put smiles on principal's faces around town:

KINDERGARTEN:

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:

HIGH SCHOOL:

AT THE HIGH SCHOOL, I SAW THAT THEY HAVE PUBLISHED THE HONOR ROLL FOR SEPTEMBER AND OCTOBER AND ALL MY CURRENT CANDIDATES ARE ON IT!

HERE IS A BAG OF JEANS AND THE BEAUTIFUL BAG FOR THE LADY I OFTEN HELP OUT - RAY'S SINGLE MOM - WHO HAD A BATTLE WITH CANCER AND IS SLOWLY GETTING BACK ON HER FEET:

AND I QUICKLY STOPPED BY THE MIDDLE SCHOOL TO SHARE THE NEWS ABOUT THE NEW READERS:

WE DO INDEED TAKE SO MUCH FOR GRANTED IN THE STATES! HERE EVERYTHING GOES SUCH A LONG WAY.

THE GREAT ACHIEVEMENT TODAY WAS THAT ONE OF THE COLLEGE SPONSORED STUDENTS FROM THE VERY FIRST GROUP -JULIAN - WON TWO AWARDS FOR A PINEAPPLE WINE PROJECT HE AND HIS TEAM CREATED A LOGO FOR, BOTTLED AND SOLD AT THE EXPO I TOLD YOU ALL ABOUT.

THEY WON THE PRIZE FOR BEST LOGO AND FOR BEST STAND. IT IS CALLED BOCCELO:

I HAVE HAD THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY AND I HOPE YOU DID TOO!

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 10:08 AM

Thank you for coordinating these activities, and for the updates. I enjoy reading about their successes, and seeing their photos and grades.

These young people studying law, dentistry, architecture etc. are the future of Baja. Impressive!

Equally impressive are the displays of generosity and support for these hard working students and their families. Thank you Nomads.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 10:32 AM

Good job, Blanca!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2015 at 02:00 PM

I still feel like THIS:

:biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.