BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What is it about Marines?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 12:01 PM

And grew into destroying the environment on an ORV. Not sure that's a step up....But....to each his own....

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Saw the post title and thought this would be a discussion of the good attributes of those who serve, or have served, and put themselves in harm's way- but I'm biased: my dad was a career Marine. He participated in the Marshall Plan reconstruction, Korea combat tour, Bay of Pigs...

Being one of the "first to fight" is not an easy choice, and all Marines are there by choice- no one is ever drafted into the Corps.

Then I read the posts and realized not all share my positive "bias."

As for the subject of the original post: I wish him well, and success in his future hunting trips.

I share your sentiments! As a point of fact though, at my pre-induction physical at the Oakland Army Terminal in January of 1967, we were lined up alphabetically. Last names starting with A, B, and at least part way through C went into the Marines.

One of my friends was in that group and served two years in the Corp. He was proud to serve, but his health failed prematurely, possibly from exposure to agent orange.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 12:54 PM

yup, throughout the late 60's the marines drafted, in los angeles they would just grab the front row,come with us!
(good to be in the second row!)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
And grew into destroying the environment on an ORV. Not sure that's a step up....But....to each his own....

:rolleyes:

Don't believe everything you think....
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

Being one of the "first to fight" is not an easy choice, and all Marines are there by choice- no one is ever drafted into the Corps.

42,600 Marines were drafted during our little experiment in SE Asia. Google Vietnam Marine Corp. draft and you will find verification of that number.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
What is it about Marines?

I suppose you could also have said "what is it about men", or "what is it about Americans", or "what is it about retired people" or "what is it about gun nuts" or what is it about a plethora of other descriptors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

WTF
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 01:46 PM

What about motorcycle nuts, Baja nuts, fishing nuts, surfing nuts or taco nuts???

Quote: Originally posted by Chupacabra  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBill74  
What is it about Marines?

I suppose you could also have said "what is it about men", or "what is it about Americans", or "what is it about retired people" or "what is it about gun nuts" or what is it about a plethora of other descriptors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 04:27 PM

All said, do not blame the gun, blame the one behind the gun.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alacran  
All said, do not blame the gun, blame the one behind the gun.

Yep :light:

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 05:06 PM

Guns don't kill people...... BULLETS kill people, and it's people who put bullets into guns to kill people. It's not about guns, but the people who own them.

Our "Right To Bear Arms" by Constitutional decree is what gave Lee Harvey Oswald the right to buy a mail-order Carcano carbine, and already having ties with the Communist Party, a Russian wife, and a known FBI-file of handing out pro-Communist Russian literature on street-corners.

THIS IS WHAT HAS TO BE ADDRESSED.

It's not a total open-shut debate, regardless of what the NRA purports, or the Constitution dictates. I have and still do own guns. I also strongly believe the NRA holds way too much sway and control of American politics, as does the tobacco industry, another mass-murderer of the populace.... unscrupulous, and money-driven. Your right to smoke? You bet your azz. Your right to hurt ME with your smoke? ....... I don't f'ing think so. Your rights stop on the end of my nose. Gun rights need to..... and must be..... re-thought, and re-established, because of the burgeoning abuses of the Constitution. Bullies abound, and are (somewhat) winning right now. It's time for a major showdown, and I don't mean at the O-K Corral.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 09:03 AM
A new record

Must be a lot more "gun nuts" out there......

185,345 background checks on November 27

http://fortune.com/2015/12/01/gun-sales-black-friday/
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
A staggering number of US citizens attempt to cross into Canada from the USA every year with declared and/or undeclared firearms.

So....it isn't a "Mexico thing"..... and as some of those caught with guns coming north, might have a military background, others caught do not.

BUT, they all have a belief that carrying guns is a god-given right (or some such NRA logic)....and I believe THAT is the issue/problem here.

I respect those who have and do serve in armed forces protecting our countries.....so, I don't have a problem with military service.....

I haven't watched tv news yet today, so I haven't seen the latest whacko killing/mass shooting in the States ....but I anticipate one around the corner after the latest Planned Parenthood tragedy... :(

Here you go Ged.

Today's tragedy is live at this moment.

http://news.yahoo.com/san-bernadino-shooting-live-coverage-1...

What have we become?

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by Cisco]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 02:47 PM

Why do they mention Jeromie Slaughter, was a former Marine, and put up some old photos when he served?

So what are we suppose to do, fall all over ourselves, and demand Mexican officials release him from prison, if they have not already done so?

No I don't thank him for his service, and I don't believe the fable that goes something like this: fight them there, so we don't have to fight them here'

I can't believe anybody that actually believes that BS recruitment line.

Who cares what this guys past career was? If he made a mistake, and crossed the border with guns and his kids, he just isn't very bright.

You don't make mistakes like that with your young kids in the car. But I'm sure once the Mexican officials, figure out it was just an honest mistake, he will be released, if he hasn't already been released, as somebody already reported.

In the Tahmooressi case, it wasn't an honest mistake, and he got what he deserved.

On the bright side, a few innocent animals will live now, because this former Marine, and his sons were planning on hunting down and killing innocent defenseless animals for fun, but instead Slaughter spent his time in jail instead of killing innocent animals.

[Edited on 12-2-2015 by JoeJustJoe]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 03:25 PM

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 04:02 PM

Personally I think a lotta people need a hobby. But that will probably put fuel to an already futile fire. Enjoy the sun and sea and vino.

Regards,
Keith
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2015 at 06:49 PM

I was a champion trap shooter while on the Army team, I hunted a few more years, until I shot a jack rabbit, (not intended) it was not dead, I had to finish it, I felt bad to have killed an animal that I had no use for.

That was 40 yrs. Ago, I have only shot targets ever since.

I believe that only shoot for food or for protection.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.