BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are you getting REAL liters at the gas pump?
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

rolleyes.gif posted on 12-1-2015 at 06:42 PM
Are you getting REAL liters at the gas pump?

"LITROS COMPLETOS" APP from "El Universal" news paper in Mexico City:

1.- on the first pop-up screen click on the upper left corner tab on "X SALIR"
    2.- then on the next screen go the upper left corner tab under "Busca tu gasolinera"
    3.- go to "Seleccione el estado" and pick "Baja California Sur" or what ever state in Mexico is of interest to you
    4.- and under it select the municipality of interest in "Seleccione el municipio"

...and there it is...!!! with a red pump on it: the darn gas station in "El Cacheno"... ;D :spingrin: :lol: :bounce:

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 07:32 PM

Kind of amazing, isn't it?
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 07:50 PM

Great site. OK, so just what does " Nego verificación" mean? It translates to Denied verification. Is that good or bad???

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 08:06 PM

Interesting! At first I was surprised that there was no information for La Paz, until I realized that it had been translated to 'Peace'!

There is a station just west of 'Peace' that I am sure was rigged, but the map did not come up, just pins. There is one station listed on the Transpenninslar highway, but I don't know if it is the same one.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 08:07 PM

This is not an "official" site, it's developed by El Universal and there's no obligation by the gas station owners to allow them to check their pumps for honestly dispensing real liters so they can actually deny verificatio, but this is step forward, let's hope Pemex follows with a similar site with "official" information. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

carlosg
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by seasider  
Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  
This is not an "official" site... with "official" information. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

I will go a step further and say that this was paid for by the stations with a "no anomaly" rating.

even if it was supported by the "good guys" the ones with "no anomaly" its a handy tool to have; however... both gas stations in Mulege belong to the same b...owner who doesn't care how much harm its doing by selling 0.8 liters and hurting the local economy by having locals go to Santa Rosalia to buy gas and then staying there and buy what ever they need instead of feeding the local Mulege economy...:fire:

Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 11:30 AM

This is really interesting and I suspect not too accurate. The Pemex in Pescadero (green) dings you to the tune of 15% whereas the one in Todos Santos owned by the ejido (red) east of town is honest. I know this from filling up gas cans with known liter measurements marked on the sides. I can't imagine the owner of the Pescadero Pemex, who reportedly also owns the TS station (red) has suddenly developed a conscience
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:16 PM
Checking accuracy with a 5 gallon can

Since 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.785 411 784 litos a five gallon can should show 18.927 litros on the pump. Since the pump doesn't have that kind of accuracy, he non-compliant stations are set to charge for 4.0 litros/ gal. you get ripped of for 0.057% for every gallon you put in your tank. Hopefully when all the new non-PEMEX stations come on line in Jan. 2016 the pumps will dispense in US gallons.

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:26 PM

Twelve year old kids can hack into Pentagon software. Does anyone think, even for a minute, they couldn't manipulate a gas pump?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:35 PM

I cant imagine that the new stations will be pumping in gallons.

And I cant imagine that there will be very many of them in Jan 2016. Maybe in TJ, Mexicali, Nogales, Juarez, etc. But for a gringo traveling south, the fuel will probably still be cheaper in the US. It will help the locals, though.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Twelve year old kids can hack into Pentagon software. Does anyone think, even for a minute, they couldn't manipulate a gas pump?

I think it's actually very low-tech, like drilling a hole in a paddlewheel that measures the flow. The paddlewheel spins the same amount but pushes less fuel. The meter counts the number of revolutions of the paddlewheel only.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Since 1 gallon [US, liquid] = 3.785 411 784 litos a five gallon can should show 18.927 litros on the pump. Since the pump doesn't have that kind of accuracy, he non-compliant stations are set to charge for 4.0 litros/ gal. you get ripped of for 0.057% for every gallon you put in your tank. Hopefully when all the new non-PEMEX stations come on line in Jan. 2016 the pumps will dispense in US gallons.

Don't have a calculator -- can someone tell me how much a customer is being shorted in liters or gallons translated into dollars?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 03:30 PM

If Durrells scenario is correct, you would be losing about .225 liters per gallon. If you are filling a five gallon container, it would be 5 x .225 liters or about 1.125 liters short in a 5 gallon container. .225 liters is about 7.6 fluid ounces which is slightly less than a cup of liquid.

I have seen apparent shortages greater than that with a five gallon contained that was not a plastic bloated can. I've seen 22 liters fill up to the 19 liter mark many times.

WARNING! MATH PERFORMED BY AN ENGLISH/COMMUNICATIONS MAJOR!!!

[Edited on 12-3-2015 by Hook]
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 04:14 PM

Routinely you get charged for 22 liters when filing a 5 gallon (approx 19lt) gas can. Its about a 15% rip off. I've been told to always state the number of liters you want rather than just "lleno" but I really don't know if that seriously solves the problem
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 04:36 PM
Conversions

Check your vehicle owner's manual and determine the capacity of the vehicle fuel tank in liters, then divide by 4......should give you "approximate" liters for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full indications on your fuel gauge
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cielomar  
This is really interesting and I suspect not too accurate. The Pemex in Pescadero (green) dings you to the tune of 15% whereas the one in Todos Santos owned by the ejido (red) east of town is honest. I know this from filling up gas cans with known liter measurements marked on the sides. I can't imagine the owner of the Pescadero Pemex, who reportedly also owns the TS station (red) has suddenly developed a conscience
Have you checked them since they changed hands a couple of years ago? I have been told that they are accurate now but haven't checked recently.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 05:10 PM

New stations? Doesn't matter what the sign says, it'll still be PEMEX gas. Biggest source of government revenue won't be given away.
It's all franchise.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 06:38 PM

Gas has steadily been dropping in the US.

Costco gas is selling at about $2.53 in Los Angeles/Orange counties.

The rest of the US is selling gas as low as $1.35.

When do you suppose the gas prices will drop in Mexico? It has not been keeping up with the USA and the rest of the world.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

JC43
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 07:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Gas has steadily been dropping in the US.

Costco gas is selling at about $2.53 in Los Angeles/Orange counties.

The rest of the US is selling gas as low as $1.35.

When do you suppose the gas prices will drop in Mexico? It has not been keeping up with the USA and the rest of the world.

Dropping gas prices in Mexico??? Please do not make me laugh, Udo? The MX government is corrupt to the bone. Pemex is a MX government institution. So what? Who ever is thinking Pemex will give you honest liters is what he/she is: A dreamer. That`s life in MX. But is it different inside the U.S. My thought, not a bit. Gas companies are cheating whenever they can. Raising when they can. Dropping when they MUST, not before.
pelone
Junior Nomad

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 12-3-2015 at 07:17 PM

A gallon of gas equals 3.8 liters. I have taken ATV fuel containers to various local stations in Loreto and asked for 8 liters of fuel. I have never had the gas level out at the 8 liter line based on the read out of the pump---always below. One good way yo determine which of the local stations give a "more honest" pour is to follow the local fishermen and support the station that they use. This will give you a "more fair" pour.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.