Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aircraft Starter Problem in Mexico? No problem
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 12:11 PM
Aircraft Starter Problem in Mexico? No problem

As usual, there is always a practical solution to any problem in Mexico.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=401176083333530&set...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 01:01 PM

Or, that truck could push him real fast and start it on compression!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 02:02 PM

That's awesome. (It sounded like Brazilian Portuguese to me.)

My recollection is that when I got my license some 20 years ago, I was taught how to hand start the plane by grabbing the prop.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
That's awesome. (It sounded like Brazilian Portuguese to me.)

My recollection is that when I got my license some 20 years ago, I was taught how to hand start the plane by grabbing the prop.

Hand proping works if you have a low horsepower low compression engine. The larger engines are not possible to prop by hand. Lots of accidents and injuries due to improper technique in hand propping.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 02:24 PM

That makes perfect sense. I learned on Cessna 152s and 172s, mostly.

This looked like a bigger plane, with a three-blade propeller.

What's the smaller propeller below the cowling, between the struts for the landing gear, for? I assume it drives something, but what?
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 03:18 PM

I had to call a friend who has flown crop dusters about that. It is a wind driven pump for pressure for the spray bar.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 03:25 PM

Thanks! The more you know.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 05:57 PM

Cool stuff, ther's always a way.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 09:39 PM

The PT in the registration number denotes Brazil registration.
Yes the little prop thingy is a wind driven pump for the sprayer
The rope start is an old remedy. I know of one DC-3 in Hawthorne Nevada that did that in the winter to get started 40 years ago.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2015 at 10:10 PM

Years ago a group of "No Soltero" (3 planes about 10-12 boys 1987 first trip - many after that ) flying to San Francisquito landed in San Felipe and after filling out paper work, found the engine wouldn't start. The old fire engine, donated by the US, came up and couldn't jump start it. We were faced with the decision to wait about 3 days for a part (none of us had the time since we all worked in those days and No Soltero only came once a year with pretty firm dates ..suddenly a guy comes up and tells us he'll spin the prop. None of us would do it. He stands out there, pilot yells "clear" and sure enough he grabs hold of the prop pulls it down and it starts! We had a choice, continue on to SFQ knowing we couldn't restart the engine or...of course being young and very smart we took off. Never worried about how we'd fly out of SFQ returning north. Turns out the same guy was there on the day we were leaving, and yep, he spun the prop and away we went. The only snag was landing at Brown Field and telling customs we can't turn off the engine (heading to Long Beach) After much posturing a senior agent came out recognized our pilot and waved us on our way!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2015 at 09:19 AM

Back in the day "propping" the engine to start was almost a normal routine. It was taught. Anything up to about 200 hp could be done with some semblance of safety. In the early days it was the only way (WWI)
After @200 hp it becomes problematic and with a 3 blade prop it become almost unacceptable for safety. Last one I did was 260p 3 blade and I'll never do that again.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.