Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GPS, mapping and a Mac computer
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:14 AM
GPS, mapping and a Mac computer

I would like to record tracks when I'm exploring but I have a Gamin GPS and Garmin is an idiot when it comes to communicating with my Mac computer. Their only solution is to run Windows on m Mac and I'd rather eat a bug than have anything to do with microsoft.

Has anyone used their GPS with a Mac and, if so, what sort of GPS and how did you do it?

And no, I'm not going to buy a copy of Windows and run it on my Mac. Don't pester me with those sorts of solutions.

I'd like to be able to hook up an OSB cable from a GPS to my Mac and have the tracks and waypoints show up on something like Google Maps or the native mapping program on my Mac, 'Maps'.

A new GPS wouldn't bother me but I am staying with the computer I have.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:25 AM

If you are "Apple" person... Then you must have a iphone or ipad..
Checkout the Motion X GPS app for OS systems..

There I also apps like "Back Country Navigation" that work great out on the trail...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:32 AM

In the minutes since I posted, I got a U2U from a Nomad telling me that Garmin now has a Mac program! I've downloaded it but didn't bring along my interface cable so I won't know how well it works until Spring. Sigh.

Although I've been using a Mac since 84 I don't have any of the other products. Too cheap!

Thanks though.

[Edited on 1-1-2016 by Gulliver]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:34 AM

Try google earth.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:40 AM

Check out E32 ... Been using it for a couple years with great success.

http://cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:50 AM

I hope you can find a cable locally, maybe some Nomad in your area has one you can use. It has to be the right cable though, I recently updated an old Garmin Nuvi, and the first one I tried to use was only designed to charge a cell phone. It lacked the circuits needed to transfer information!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 08:58 AM

I like Google Earth but my problem has been getting the Garmin GPS to talk to the Mac. This new Garmin program may be the solution.

E32 looks great but I can't find anything on their site that talks about using it on a Mac. Much of the time there is an assumption that you are using a Windows machine.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 09:11 AM

Garmin "Base Camp" is the program that works on a MAC. You should be able to find a free download.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:16 PM

I just downloaded Garmin Express which seems to run only Mac but since i don't have the serial to USB adapter with me, the whole exercise will have to wait until I get back to Lopez Island in May. Gumble, grumble.

Now I have downloaded Basecamp.

I feel like some nut case gun fool with an extended magazine full of ammo and no machine gun to put it in. Waaaah!
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:21 PM

What model Garmin do you have, most of the newer (within the last 10 years) Garmins have a USB (mini) connection.
Where are you located? I have a Garmin serial cable.

[Edited on 12-21-2015 by ncampion]

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:30 PM

Can you get the tracks off the GPS as a file? Eg SD card? Then the GPS doesn't have to talk to the Mac. Once there, you can import the file into Google Earth, gpsvisualizer.com, etc.

I have a Lowrance and Mac and I'm always running files back and forth - no cable necessary. Use free GPSBabelizer (for Mac, Win, etc.) to switch between GPS file formats. Super easy.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 05:32 PM

Mine is an old GPS-V with the round four pin connector. I have one more box of stuff to dig through before I throw up my hands. Even if I had brought along the Garmin serial cable I would still need my serial to USB converter. I use the cable and converter on my boat up North.

I'm in Mulege.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 07:18 PM

Garmin works just fine with Mac:
Garmin BaseCamp
Garmin MapInstall
Garmin MapManager

Mac GPS Pro is an option
http://www.macgpspro.com/?gclid=CIWgoe_t68kCFYI_aQodn9EODA

use GPSBabel when you need to translate files
http://www.gpsbabel.org/

my Garmin 60CSx works like a charm with a MacBook Pro and Google Earth
shows me in real time where I am driving
doesn't record though
so I leave the recording to the Garmin
you can import directly from your Garmin to Google Earth
open "Tools"
click "GPS"
select "Import" or "Realtime"

"Import" when you want your file(s) transferred
"Realtime" when you want to see where you are

in GoogelEarth download the aerial images of the area you want to travel before you leave
they remain in the cache and you can run your MacBook with Garmin attached out in the bushes - no internet needed
I don't even use maps any longer
real time images are so much better

get your Baja map here:
http://www.cartografiagps.com/mape32/index.htm

can be installed on your computer and/or on your Garmin

another good offer is Bicimapas
http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/MexicGPSAtlasEn.htm

and you might want to invest in a new (or used) Garmin with a real USB connector. The dinosaur stuff doesn't work too well. I tried it. Isn't worth the effort.

Harald Pietschmann
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2015 at 07:36 PM

Great info and thanks for the links. I'll be looking into them.

Yes, I probably should get a new GPS. But I have this incredibly techy TourTech mount for my old GPSV and I hate to give it up. I'll have to rethink my ways. I've only used my GPS for recording waypoints and sometimes navigating to a way point. The map screen is so stinking small on the GPSV that I've never consulted it. No time when flying over the whoop de dos for looking at anything but stuff way down the road.

There is no way I will be taking anything but a GPS and maybe a phone along. The vibration and shocks on a bike are astounding. Today I was coming back towards Magdalena from the end of navigation and when I got to the cemetery (head first rather than feet first as I had feared a couple of times), even my plastic spoon in my back pack was busted. Hell of a time eating my mac and cheese! I glanced down once and my hands were a blur. How these bikes hold together is a mystery to me.

I will look into MacGPS. I have some of their other software and have been happy with it. Means actually buying (squeak!) some maps.

A SPOT tracker is coming first. I know where I am (mostly) but Barbara doesn't. They have some sort of web page where the tracking data is displayed. That will need looking into as well.

Thanks,
Mike (old dogs can learn new stuff)

[Edited on 12-21-2015 by Gulliver]
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 07:19 AM

I use the E32 with a Nuvi, Mac Book Air & iMac. Read somewhere that there is or will soon be a compatible program for the iPhone & i Pads.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:43 AM

My God, a computer with a serial port, Gulliver? Does it at least have some USB ports, if you upgrade to a newer GPS. Most all of them are micro USB now.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:50 AM

No, No! No serial port. It's my ancient GPS that uses serial communications so I use a serial to USB converter to connect to my MacBook Pro.

The setup I have now does most of what I want to do except for downloading tracks and way points to my computer so that I can share them here.

With the info I've just gotten from several of you I think I will have that shortcoming solved.

I really like my old GPSV and the TourTech mount has put up with savage abuse.
ncampion
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 08:59 AM

Gulliver, as I said, I have a serial cable for an old GPSV Map with a serial to USB converter. I'll be heading back down to Loreto after the first of the year and could bring it down to you although I would like to get it back at some point as I too have an old V that I keep as a backup to my 60 Csx.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 09:11 AM

Yes, do bring it down with you. I dragged along just about every other bit of junk I own but not that particular item.

I'll U2U my contact info.

Mike
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2015 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LaTijereta  
If you are "Apple" person... Then you must have a iphone or ipad..
Checkout the Motion X GPS app for OS systems..

I use the MotionX GPS app on my iPhone and it's great. I pre-download the map tiles for the areas I'll be at home before I leave. Dedicated GPS devices are no longer required for vehicle and most hiking uses, although a more heavy duty unit may be desirable for serious backpacking

And it cost like 99 cents or something ridiculous.

WTF

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.