Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Shavers Review Dollar Shave Club vs. Harry's
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 08:42 PM
Baja Shavers Review Dollar Shave Club vs. Harry's

This is a review for 2 of the new shave clubs, Harry's and Dollar Shave Club

So, I am nearly 60 and currently use a Gillette Sensor Razor for probably 25 years. I love this 2 blade shaver, but the blades are getting crazy pricey. I don't have a lumberjack beard, but can grow a full beard and mustache without any problem. So I would say I am somewhere between Grizzly Adams and Peter Pan.

Harry's

I ordered the Harry's shaver first because I received an email for a free razor and 2 blades for $3.00 shipping.
The shaver arrived and my first opinion was it looked plasticy. The orange handle was nicely weighted but the blade was huge 3 or 4 blades housed in a gray plastic shell. I lathered up and started my normal shave routine and the first thin I noticed is the angle of the blade was awkward.It was almost as if I had to drag it over my face with the handle nearly flat. The head didn't want to flex against the handle. It was almost stiff. Also, when I went under my nose to shave above my lip, it was way to big and didn't seem to fit comfortable like my Sensor setup.
The blades cut well and didn't drag or pull and I didn't get any nicks or cuts. However, after using it a few times I canceled my account and have no interest in using it unless I run out of blades and need it in a emergency.

Dollar Shave Club

So, after getting Harry's I decided to try the Dollar Shave Club. I selected the 2 blade setup. It was a bit pricey er, $5.00 including shipping and 5 blades and the handle. First impression, it looked like the Sensor and the handle was kind of like the Sensor, but it was cheapy plastic, but the blades look exactly like the sensor.

I setup my blade and started my shave. This setup was almost exactly like the sensor. It felt very comfortable on my face and I was able to do my normal shave routine and it felt just like I was using my Sensor.
Except, the blades seemed like they had a bit of drag and were not silky smooth like the Sensor. I think I would relate it to buying a Gillette throw away razor. It does the job, but it is not a real smooth proposition.

Results

I would not use the Harry's unless I had to and frankly, I think I will go back to the Sensor once I burn through the 5 blades of the Dollar Shave Club.

Bottom line, for the price I paid it was worth a shot to try and save money, but that's about it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 08:49 PM

Everything old is new again. I shaved with those razors 60 years go. They wern't worth buying then either, but they were the only game in town other than a straight razor.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
Everything old is new again. I shaved with those razors 60 years go. They wern't worth buying then either, but they were the only game in town other than a straight razor.

You were shaving at the young age of 5?:saint:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2016 at 11:39 PM

What does your shopping for grooming supplies have to do with Baja?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 07:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Information is power

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Information is power

Well stated, I appreciated the report:lol:

bacquito
moreofless

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 08:21 AM

This is a review for 2 of the new shave clubs, Harry's and Dollar Shave Club

So, I am nearly 60 and currently use a Gillette Sensor Razor for probably 25 years. I love this 2 blade shaver, but the blades are getting crazy pricey. I don't have a lumberjack beard, but can grow a full beard and mustache without any problem. So I would say I am somewhere between Grizzly Adams and Peter Pan.

Harry's

I ordered the Harry's shaver first because I received an email for a free razor and 2 blades for $3.00 shipping.
The shaver arrived and my first opinion was it looked plasticy. The orange handle was nicely weighted but the blade was huge 3 or 4 blades housed in a gray plastic shell. I lathered up and started my normal shave routine and the first thin I noticed is the angle of the blade was awkward.It was almost as if I had to drag it over my face with the handle nearly flat. The head didn't want to flex against the handle. It was almost stiff. Also, when I went under my nose to shave above my lip, it was way to big and didn't seem to fit comfortable like my Sensor setup.
The blades cut well and didn't drag or pull and I didn't get any nicks or cuts. However, after using it a few times I canceled my account and have no interest in using it unless I run out of blades and need it in a emergency.

Dollar Shave Club

So, after getting Harry's I decided to try the Dollar Shave Club. I selected the 2 blade setup. It was a bit pricey er, $5.00 including shipping and 5 blades and the handle. First impression, it looked like the Sensor and the handle was kind of like the Sensor, but it was cheapy plastic, but the blades look exactly like the sensor.

I setup my blade and started my shave. This setup was almost exactly like the sensor. It felt very comfortable on my face and I was able to do my normal shave routine and it felt just like I was using my Sensor.
Except, the blades seemed like they had a bit of drag and were not silky smooth like the Sensor. I think I would relate it to buying a Gillette throw away razor. It does the job, but it is not a real smooth proposition.

Results

I would not use the Harry's unless I had to and frankly, I think I will go back to the Sensor once I burn through the 5 blades of the Dollar Shave Club.

Bottom line, for the price I paid it was worth a shot to try and save money, but that's about it.

I strongly recommend using a wet/dry electric razor. After the initial investment they last for years with very little operating cost. They also give a much better shave in my opinion.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 08:31 AM

Information is power

:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 09:45 AM

I have used the Gillette PROGLIDE for quite a few years (in their different configuring names), and would never switch. Yes, the other offers have been tempting, but I am getting about 6-8 weeks of shaving out of one blade.
Yes, the replacement blades are somewhat pricey (about $50.00USD at Costco), but you can't buy happiness.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 10:00 AM

You were shaving at the young age of 5?:saint:[/rquote]

Born in 1934. Let's see Hmmm, 5? I don't think so.
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 03:27 PM

I have been using the Harry's brand razors for about a year and am very happy with them. And I have a very thick beard. Very comfortable shave and long lasting blades.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 12:16 PM

I have tried them all and now use the old school single blade safety razor and love it! As a backup I use the gillette. Twin blade throw away razors. Those multiple bladed razors are getting too expensive

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.