Author: Subject: About vehicle life
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by BajaGringo]

second that!

90% is driver - like in challenging 4x4 stuff. Not your gear but your brain will make the difference.

Not very popular, but still the most bang for your bucks - Mercedes G Series. Sold my first after 300k+ miles and got $5k more for it than new.
Driving the second one at 250k flawless miles now. Makes me smile every time I climb in.

Dirt cheap when bought used.

Maybe in Germany. You gonna tell me its dirt cheap after shipping/taxes/import fees? Come on man. Parts??? :lol

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by chippy]

It's a poser car. For people that want to drive a Beverly Hills suv. As a daily driver, it drives like chit (clunky truck handling), and it's not very fuel efficient. There are many less expensive SUVs, that are cheaper, handle better. But, hey, if posing is your thing, go ahead and pay extra to drive some bling.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).
bought the recent G500 in 2004 for $30k

at 100k miles they still drive like new

Thanks for the info. Perhaps it is an interesting alternative to a Jeep Wrangler for my Baja needs. My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:11 AM

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).
bought the recent G500 in 2004 for $30k

at 100k miles they still drive like new

Thanks for the info. Perhaps it is an interesting alternative to a Jeep Wrangler for my Baja needs. My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

:light:
:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:18 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/yep-jeep-built-707-hp-155509176....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 10:42 AM

My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

=====
Jeep brand makes some really bad stuff. And most people lump them all together. What you read is not always how it is. Example Wrangler is one of the better Jeep products for reliability - meaning average with compared to the industry. TJ and unlimited up to 06 are quite livable. My 06 has never been back to the dealer. JK 07 and up compare to the late TJs, but the JK unlimited (4 Door) have more issues. In Baja it is always possible to get any Jeep fixed because there are so many people using them. Yes there are known issues and all have easy fixes for them. Daily driver - not really, so do not compare the Wrangler to a sedan.
IMO the only alternative could be a 4Runner, but they are very rare in Baja. Other better more common rigs are too big. Example pickups.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

My reservations re the Jeep are primarily about reliability as I don't have experience with them.

=====
Jeep brand makes some really bad stuff. And most people lump them all together. What you read is not always how it is. Example Wrangler is one of the better Jeep products for reliability - meaning average with compared to the industry. TJ and unlimited up to 06 are quite livable. My 06 has never been back to the dealer. JK 07 and up compare to the late TJs, but the JK unlimited (4 Door) have more issues. In Baja it is always possible to get any Jeep fixed because there are so many people using them. Yes there are known issues and all have easy fixes for them. Daily driver - not really, so do not compare the Wrangler to a sedan.
IMO the only alternative could be a 4Runner, but they are very rare in Baja. Other better more common rigs are too big. Example pickups.

4runners RARE in baja???every other car in baja is a 4runner! the ones that aren't are old XJ's!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:12 AM

I should have been more specific. I have rented a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited several times in Baja and I really like how it handles on bad Baja dirt/rock roads at speed. But, I don't have experience with how reliable they are.

I have some hesitation spending $30K on a 10-year-old G500 when the same money would get me a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. In my experience, Mercedes makes good cars (I have a driven the same ML320 for 15 years and more than 200K miles, and I frequently take it down to Baja but it doesn't handle as well as the Jeep on dirt roads), but a 10-year-old car is a 10-year-old car. Anyways, I don't have enough info and knowledge to intelligently evaluate the pros and cons of a new/newer Jeep versus a G500 and was just asking some questions.

Maybe a Toyota FJ Cruiser would be a good alternative as well, in terms of both reliability and handling on bad dirt roads.

(I don't think I need a 707-HP Jeep, although it looks very cool. The Crew Chief also looks really cool. I'd go for the most basic model though, the Sport Unlimited, and put some BFGs on it.)

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by BigBearRider]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:35 AM
1989 VOLVO 240

with 400,000 miles runs fast,strong, no leaks. burns 1/2 qt oil around 5k hard miles,, great gas milage and go ahead and hit me with a semi !!:lol:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:46 AM

Maybe in Germany. You gonna tell me its dirt cheap after shipping/taxes/import fees? Come on man. Parts??? :lol

shipping is less than $1k, import duties 2.5%, broker/agent around $500

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in the US

I will no longer confuse you with facts

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
with 400,000 miles runs fast,strong, no leaks. burns 1/2 qt oil around 5k hard miles,, great gas milage and go ahead and hit me with a semi !!:lol:

from the original article, the guy with 66 volvo P1800 was expecting to hit the 3 million mark in 2013 (the articles a few years old)....wonder if he made it? heck he could be on his way to 4 million! :O
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 11:58 AM

I should have been more specific. I have rented a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited several times in Baja and I really like how it handles on bad Baja dirt/rock roads at speed. But, I don't have experience with how reliable they are.

I have some hesitation spending $30K on a 10-year-old G500 when the same money would get me a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. In my experience, Mercedes makes good cars (I have a driven the same ML320 for 15 years and more than 200K miles, and I frequently take it down to Baja but it doesn't handle as well as the Jeep on dirt roads), but a 10-year-old car is a 10-year-old car. Anyways, I don't have enough info and knowledge to intelligently evaluate the pros and cons of a new/newer Jeep versus a G500 and was just asking some questions.

Maybe a Toyota FJ Cruiser would be a good alternative as well, in terms of both reliability and handling on bad dirt roads.

(I don't think I need a 707-HP Jeep, although it looks very cool. The Crew Chief also looks really cool. I'd go for the most basic model though, the Sport Unlimited, and put some BFGs on it.)

I used to own a fleet of Jeep Wranglers. Major improvement in quality/reliability after 1998. The fact that it can be had with axle difflocks (without them a 4x4 is not very useful in Baja) makes it one of my favorites.
But I always chose my G500 for any Baja expedition. And I mean expedition like in traveling very remote and self contained. Not the dirt road to Calamajue.

I would rather spend $50k on a used G500 than $40+k on a new Jeep Wrangler.

And no - a ten year old car is not a ten year old car.

I would not touch the FJCruiser with a pole. They were always the one that broke down on guided tours.

I still own a few Grand Cherokees (1990's) for clients. They cost nothing and do amazingly well in Baja. All of them close to 300k miles. Better for Baja than the ML320 (I say that even though I was involved in creating them).

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

It's a poser car. For people that want to drive a Beverly Hills suv. As a daily driver, it drives like chit (clunky truck handling), and it's not very fuel efficient. There are many less expensive SUVs, that are cheaper, handle better. But, hey, if posing is your thing, go ahead and pay extra to drive some bling.

Yes, the G500 does not give you the luxury spongy mushy ride most other SUV's give you. I have a sofa at home for that. It's a super professional 4x4 that some rich kids discovered for status, because it has a price tag. It's perfect for posing - if that's what you are after. However, it provides a very firm ride. Much like any high performance (speed) car. Nothing wrong with folks driving them in Beverly Hills - keeps them away from my favorite spots in Baja. I prefer to see all SUV's around the malls.

I use mine as a tool. All chrome removed. Anything that indicates Mercedes is either removed or painted black. Heck, I haven't washed it in 3 years. I don't want anyone to notice what I drive. Like any good tool, it shines when it is used the way it was intended to.

https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Uno-Baja-Extreme-A...

Harald Pietschmann
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 02:37 PM

Neat trip Harald....Thanks

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 03:26 PM

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in the US

Very interesting. Not a lot of headache involved in getting it approved and registered in CA? I'll check out some German used car sites.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

from the original article, the guy with 66 volvo P1800 was expecting to hit the 3 million mark in 2013 (the articles a few years old)....wonder if he made it? heck he could be on his way to 4 million! :O

He made it. I recall seeing a commercial with the car in the last couple of years. An article on the web said he hit 3 million in 2013. Fine Swedish engineering.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 03:39 PM

I used to own a fleet of Jeep Wranglers. Major improvement in quality/reliability after 1998. The fact that it can be had with axle difflocks (without them a 4x4 is not very useful in Baja) makes it one of my favorites.
But I always chose my G500 for any Baja expedition. And I mean expedition like in traveling very remote and self contained. Not the dirt road to Calamajue.

I would rather spend $50k on a used G500 than $40+k on a new Jeep Wrangler.

And no - a ten year old car is not a ten year old car.

I would not touch the FJCruiser with a pole. They were always the one that broke down on guided tours.

I still own a few Grand Cherokees (1990's) for clients. They cost nothing and do amazingly well in Baja. All of them close to 300k miles. Better for Baja than the ML320 (I say that even though I was involved in creating them).

Thanks, Harald. I value your experience and opinion.

I would go for the most basic Wrangler Unlimited and don't need to crawl over rocks. I just want to blast quickly over the bad dirt roads and have a car that absorbs the bumps and rocks very well.

I would have thought the FJ Cruiser would have Toyota quality, and that the TRD suspension should have helped. I'm surprised to hear they broke down a lot.

I get that there are differences between ten year old cars, based on initial build quality, overall design, and whether the car is designed to last, among other things.

I've been very happy with my car for 15 years. Still a ten year old car is ten years old. Having said that, my ML has had very few problems in the last 13 years. It had some minor issues the first two years. After that, I've replaced the ABS unit with a used one from Canada, and I replaced the cats. That's it, pretty much. Oh, and it has this weird thing where the ETS/ABS light will come on and it will lose drive but it only happens above 6,000 feet during the warmer months. I suspect it is brake related, and maybe has to do with fluids, but maybe not.

I suspect that my wife's never ML will not fare quite as well, but time will tell.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 03:44 PM

I had a 1977 265 with the V6. It was supposedly the worst engine you could get in that car It had 321K miles on the clock when I bought it, but the odometer was frozen. I retired it 10 years later and the State of California gave me $1,000, $400 less than I had paid for it. I suspect it had around 400K at the time. It was a great car, except it dropped the drive shaft once when my girlfriend was driving it.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:13 PM

dirt cheap was related to the used ones already in th

I stand corrected. It is/was a relativly cheap vehicle. Well done! By the bye was that the benefit of being a German citizen? Or can any ole Yank do the same?

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by chippy]
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:57 PM

I stand corrected. It is/was a relativly cheap vehicle. Well done! By the bye was that the benefit of being a German citizen? Or can any ole Yank do the same?

[Edited on 3-14-2016 by chippy]

anyone can do it

the import brokers (their service is mandatory) will help you get through it

Harald Pietschmann
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 06:01 PM

Thanks Harald.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.